Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Vredestein inflatable spare?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:07 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Vredestein inflatable spare?

I realized that the spare in my '83 SC has probably from the looks of it never been used. I've had the car for 2 years. What are the chances that a 24 year old collapsible spare would still work ?
Driving from NC to Daytona in November for Rennsport III, my dumba$$ realized I should check into this issue.
First thing is to get a compressor as I don't have one.

What do folks do for spares ? I can't even imagine what that sucker costs to replace and looking for guidance as to what to do. Wait and see if it works IF I get a flat or be more proactive (aside from getting a compressor)...

THANKS
Old 07-30-2007, 10:16 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never used the one on my SC either. You could always inflate it and find out, or, I believe you could pick up a "newer" one from a dismanrler or ebay. I imagine a 964/993 spare should fit as well?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Cloggie
Lost *******phile

Received 437 Likes on 231 Posts

I have two.....and have tested them both, really, what do you have to lose? Better to find out now rather than when you really need it.

In my case, both worked just fine, it is a bit of a goofy arrangement the way the rubber unfolds, but it seems to work and tuck back into shape quite nicely when deflated.

Personally, I carry the spare and a can of instant flat tire fixer. Major issue for me would be that if I got a puncture of some sort, I am condemned to buying a new pair of tires. My Bridgestones came with nice document that said that any puncture repair cancelled the speed rating...which means new tires. But at least I would get home.....

Dennis
Old 07-31-2007, 01:51 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Kalma
...it seems to work and tuck back into shape quite nicely when deflated...
I heard just the opposite: that getting it tucked back in is a pain in the you know what. Maybe DB_NC_83SC could test his out and then put my rumor to rest.

On a side note, DB_NC_83SC, you might want to just get AAA for added insurance.
The following users liked this post:
Paolo1 (05-01-2021)
Old 07-31-2007, 08:24 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I heard just the opposite: that getting it tucked back in is a pain in the you know what.
A simple ratchet strap will compress the spare easily in order to deflate it properly.

Andreas
Old 07-31-2007, 08:31 AM
BHMSC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience

I had to use the one in my '80 SC a couple of years ago. It was about 25 years old and, as far as I could tell, had never been used. It worked just fine.

My question has always been - If you're on a trip (with luggage in the trunk and back seat), where do you put the flat after the donut is on?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:00 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPS it to yourself?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:01 AM
Cloggie
Lost *******phile

Received 437 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I heard just the opposite: that getting it tucked back in is a pain in the you know what. Maybe DB_NC_83SC could test his out and then put my rumor to rest.
Just curious if you had actually tried it? I know that my two little experiments are not conclusive, but since they had 100% success I am comfortable that they'll be fine inflating and deflating.

One thing that I did to ease deflation was to remove the valve stem (valve cap has a removal tool built in). I think they are quite sensitive to getting all the air out of them, just pushing the valve stem down will work, but people may be impatient and leave a little bit of compression in the tire....

Dennis
Old 07-31-2007, 12:03 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Kalma
Just curious if you had actually tried it? I know that my two little experiments are not conclusive, but since they had 100% success I am comfortable that they'll be fine inflating and deflating.

One thing that I did to ease deflation was to remove the valve stem (valve cap has a removal tool built in). I think they are quite sensitive to getting all the air out of them, just pushing the valve stem down will work, but people may be impatient and leave a little bit of compression in the tire....

Dennis
No, it was just a rumor, said by a guy who did try it (previous owner), but I'm guessing he was doing something wrong...

Quick Reply: Vredestein inflatable spare?