Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1st Gear Popping out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Giantman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Gear Popping out!

So I let a friend drive the SC and the genius shifted straight from 2nd into 1st at about 4,500rmp!!! Needless to say the sound of the CRUNCHING GEARS was only offset by that of my rage enriched voice yelling expletives at him. Net result was 8 dog teeth on my drain hole magnet when inspecting the next day (see pic). So the 915 needs pulling and fixing.

My question therefore is, what do those of you with experience think I might be up for here both in terms of parts and cost. All other gears are still sweet but 1st is now popping out under even moderate RPM which makes the car somewhat unusable around town. So at least 1st will need rebuilding and possibly the usual 'while you're in there' stuff as well.

Many thanks for your input,

Simon.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:54 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouuuch!!! That's gotta hurt. I guess it's a bit late to recommend not letting FRIENDS drive your Porsche!!!

Sorry to hear that.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:20 PM
JES1680
Instructor

OUCH! I found 4 of thoes stuck to my drain plug when I changed my gear lube. I'm guessing they are off my reverse gear as I need to go through the gears before I shift into reverse or I get grinding. All others seem fine. I'll be watching to see what rebuild prices are quoted though.

Oh yeah and I've had friends get pissed that I wouldn't let them dirve my car. It's just not worth it.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:35 AM
Giantman
Racer

Yeah, I learnt my lesson about letting strangers to the 915 drive the porker. However I find that with a little tuition most people comfortable with manual boxes get the hang of it pretty quick.

The night it was wrecked the guy driving was really punching it and just went straight back into 1st without even thinking. My heart sank as I knew it would be expensive. They don't call them "money shifts" for nothing. Worst part is this box was rebuilt by the PO and was just the sweetest little drive. I used to wonder what all the fuss was about with the 915 as mine was so good. I just hope I can get that feeling back.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:52 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Peter Zimmerman has a couple just sitting aroud for oh, say $3,000.00 U.S.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:11 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Peter Zimmerman has a couple just sitting aroud for oh, say $3,000.00 U.S.

If that price quoted is correct, you're probably better off $ wise to get one sent over.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder how much it would cost to ship the little lump halfway around the world...

Simon: Let me know how many miles are on your trans (either from new or since the last fix) and I'll give you an idea of what to expect.

JES1680: No dog teeth on reverse, no synchro either! The teeth that you found are probably from either 1st or 2nd, whichever is more sensitive, unless you've had a major crunch in 3rd or 4th, of course! Your reverse crunch is probably technique, you should be going into another gear prior to moving the lever to R. Also, always be sure that the car is stopped before trying to engage R. If your broken teeth are symmetrical they're most likely from 2nd, if they are asymmetrical they're from 1st.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:41 PM
JES1680
Instructor

Pete, thanks for the info.
I always go into another gear before I hit reverse, but tried it without when I first got the car just to see,(CRUNCH!!). My 78 would go in fine if I gave it a few seconds with the clutch in.
All other gears are fine and shift great with new Swepco in. Only thing now is I get a bit a chatter from the LSD. Going to try some GM posi additive if I can ever get some garage time. Oh and my sunroof, and winshield seal, brake light, rear brake lines, mixture, etc............

Quick Reply: 1st Gear Popping out!