Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My favorite road

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 07:15 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post My favorite road

All 911 owners have a favorite road right? Could lead to nowhere, or could be your daily commute. Mine's the road pictured below, the sign says "next 8 miles of windy road", but it's more like 12-14, which is really fun. Anyway, I took the 911 for a spin up there and now i gotta get ready and head out for TG dinner.
Old 11-22-2001, 08:20 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a few favorite roads here in Southern Orange County, CA, where I live.

First is "Live Oaks", about 15 minutes from my house and about 6-8 miles of narrow and twisties with oak trees on both sides.

The second one is a little further, about 15 to 20 minutes away, about 35 miles of fun called highway 74, or Ortega Highway. There are great turns and elevation changes and turn out areas to rest and look around, and a small restaurant on the hill on Riverside County side over look Silverwood lake. I love this road. Must go early to avoid normal traffic. Lots of sports bikes here too.

The third one is more like a cruise from Laguna Beach, Pacific Coast highway, all the way to just before Long beach. For the whole time, the Pacific Ocean is on your left (going North). Great views every where.

I don't normally eat in my cars, but on occasions, I stop by Jack in the Box and order some hot Curly fries and cruise along Pacific Coast highway. Winds in my face, fries in my hand, I am hungry now, gotta go and eat some of that Turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving to all and drive safely,

Sonny Vo
Old 11-22-2001, 11:43 PM
Steve, 914 guy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must say, I really like most of my drive to work. It's about 15 miles of windy road through oak studded hills with chapparel.
Formerly known as Hwy 58, between Bakersfield and Santa Margarita, Ca.
I know, Bakersfield sounds bad, but it's about 90 miles east of me.
The last 10 miles is on Hwy 101, dodging sleepy soccer moms on their cellphones, truckers, and tourists looking up. I don't know why they look up when they're lost, but they do it.
Old 11-25-2001, 06:22 PM
George 86T
Advanced

Talking

Zamirz--may I ask what that hole in your car's left rear valence is for? My 86 is the same color--it's called Prussian Blue on the window sticker. The hole LOOKS like it's there for some specific use? Like maybe a backup alarm or-----??
Old 11-25-2001, 09:00 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by George 86T:
<STRONG>Zamirz--may I ask what that hole in your car's left rear valence is for? My 86 is the same color--it's called Prussian Blue on the window sticker. The hole LOOKS like it's there for some specific use? Like maybe a backup alarm or-----??</STRONG>
I dunno, i think it's on grey-market, ROW cars only. I believe it's for the rear red fog light on the euro cars. My paint code says the color is venetian blue, maybe a name change but the same color?

later,

amir
Old 11-25-2001, 11:39 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
There are better (and more responsible) roads to drive, but my favorite late-night spin is the Pacific Coast Highway up to Sunset Boulevard, then hopping up the 405 to Mulholland, all the way to Laurel Canyon and back to the house and the unsuspecting wife. Considering that I'm in a city with something like 10 million people, the route can be a surprisingly wide-open (especially if you live on the kind of schedule I do).

And is it twisty? Uh... yes, a little.

Old 11-26-2001, 02:29 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Jack, i've done that run before, although not all at once. I did PCH with the 300ZX guys (which is who i usually hang with since i don't have much to talk about with the older Porsche owners) at night and had an awesome time . Then going to my aunts old house i did mulholland to Laurel Canyon by myself during the day which is a SWEET run!!! Either way, if you're ever in the valley over the weekend with the 911, drop me an email and i'll take you up to this road, we can take it all the way to PCH, but the real twisty stuff is toward the beginning.

later,

amir
Old 11-26-2001, 04:16 AM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

I believe that hole is for the tow hook in the tool kit. I think it was mostly a ROW thing, but some of the early US models may have had it.
Old 11-26-2001, 06:12 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

The hole should have a cap over it. To the best of my knowledge the tow hooks inserts are on every 911. Front and rear. Certainly on the 964s. The details are contained in your owners manuals.
Now back to the thread, my favourite Porsche road is between St Gallen-St Fiden and Heiden. John Dunkle and Lee Liechtenstein have also traversed this road. I will take some photos when the weather improves. The road is currently only passable with a C4,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 11-26-2001, 11:48 AM
gerry100
Pro

Feelin sorry for the Pcar owners in Socal-

Who ever heard of driving to a road where you could drive?

Here in rural Upstate NY I've got windy undulating roads with little traffic radiating out for hundreds of miles in every direction. Of course we can't really enjoy them for 4-6 months of the year and some are rough but I think if some one from SoCal were here they would be in heaven.

I always thought it strange that the place where Hi performance cars (esp Porches )are ubiquitous and cherished is a place where traffic and terrain severly limit the chance to enjoy them.

If anybody is heading out this way I can give them routes that will lift the spirits.
Old 11-26-2001, 12:20 PM
James Achard
Pro

Favorite Roads!!! Well I have two, For all you West coast types, How about from Prescott AZ to Wickenberg, AZ via White Spar(Rt 89)....No Traffic and an elevation change of about 3000'. For the East Coast, RT 7 from New Milford to Lime Rock Park at about 6:30am. No Traffic, Radar Detector mandatory, and the destination can't be beat...

James
Old 11-26-2001, 12:25 PM
GeoC2cab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
High,
Jerry, although i live in NJ, I do most of my driving in NY state(a quick run through the woods and im there), there are roads there that will make u feel like ur driving in Heaven..I'm open to any route u can give me in between u and the state line, Thanx..

ps. my last great find was a route 28a, I could not even drive it my first time on it correctly because I couldnt believe what my eyes were seeing. smooth,twisty, and long.
Old 11-26-2001, 12:50 PM
Skategoat
AutoX

I envy you guys. It takes me 30-45 minutes just to get clear of traffic. Another 15 to get to any kind of twisties. I have to get my jollies dodging 18-wheelers on the highway.

All summer I try to talk the family into antique shopping or a country drive.
Old 11-26-2001, 02:00 PM
mstier
Advanced

Near Washington, DC, there's Georgetown Pike from the Beltway to Springvale Road in Great Falls. Haven't driven it in about 20 years, but when I had a girlfriend who lived on Springvale, we could do all the "maximum safe speed"-marked turns at nearly twice their marked speeds in my '75 Rabbit, 2x in her '78 Scirocco and &gt;2x in my father's '84 944. Next summer I'll get the 911 down there to try it early one morning.
Old 11-26-2001, 05:46 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, Mstier, G'town Pike is one of my favorites. I pick it up at the Beltway and take it to Rt. 7 in Sterling. It's a beautiful drive and I did it last about 3 wks ago when the trees were at their peak colors. Have also done the PCH to Mullholland, though that was in a rental. Absolutely beautiful.

Quick Reply: My favorite road