Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Strut Bars for an SC???

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 07:50 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, they are worth installing. It was one of the first "upgrades" that I installed in my 84 Carrera, back in 1997. I used the single Weltmeister, which as I recall was the only option then. I can't say that any of the other brands, additional single bar or "X" configuration is an improvement over a single tie bar.
regards,
Steve
Old 06-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Naitove
Instructor

Get the single one from Rennline. You can always upgrade it later to the trianglated one if you want to.
http://rennline.com/product.php/sid/...che/prodid/112
Old 06-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Hey, I like the looks and the price of the Rennline Bar(s)...

Thanks for all of the help guys! First things first... just ordered the Carrera Chain Tensioner Kit...

I was running the old SC rather "vigorously" on Saturday, and now I think the left original Tensioner is starting to go on me! Well, 24 years and 58K miles... I guess it did its work! She's in the garage until I get that upgrade done! Had a lot of fun showing a Boxster "S" and a 997 that a 3 Liter could run with the best of them! In fact, almost ran over the Boxster a couple of times... I didn't realize how big that Boxster is until you set the SC and it side by side!
Old 06-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 911pcars
"The best bar imho is the single bar from the factory."

Not sure how you would quantify this statement other than it's an official version from the factory.

Sherwood
Hey! Isn't that enough!? Everything else is a copy!
Old 06-12-2007, 05:54 PM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Hey! Isn't that enough!? Everything else is a copy!
Not quite. The Factory strut bar is a single, fixed length steel bar; probably heavier. A fixed length bar is simple and less complicated.

Most aftermarket strut bars are made of aluminum, titanium, carbon fiber or stainless steel) and feature rod ends which allow adjustment of the overall length. Some use this adjustability to add preload in whatever direction they see fit. Some add a second bar to triangulate the structure in order to increase torsional rigidity.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2007, 08:59 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

I'm pleased with my Weltmeister. I will say, the more neg. camber you run, the better the bar seems to help. I was getting lots of flex and understeer before the bar was installed. BTW: my SC came with the bar from the PO.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:12 PM
DARISC
Racer

What is the general thought on the strut bars for an SC coupe?

On ANY car, bridging the tops of the strut towers with a rigid member stiffens the structure in that area. However, racking is still possible if lateral force is high enough because the geometry is rectangular.

Adding a second rigid member from the top of one tower to the bottom of the other tower introduces a triangle into the geometry, the angles of which CANNOT vary, regardless of high lateral force, unlike the rectangular geometry, whose angles WILL vary when high lateral force reshapes (racks) the rectangle into a parallelagram (all very Euclidian).

Think barn door with angled brace......and bridges.

I'd guess that a triangulating bar might be overkill on the street, beneficial on the track.

I've got the Weltmeister on my SC.

Quick Reply: Strut Bars for an SC???