Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:14 AM
crufone
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with car Value

Selling 77 911S would like help pricing
Hello all,
I am new to this forum and would like some advice on selling my 911S.

Mine is a plain Jane Coupe with no sunroof. Car has 82K original miles. No collision damage, 3 or 4 minor body dings. No rust, always garaged. Original paint was Oak Green and was repainted (Ho Hum job) perhaps twenty years ago. Paint has been keyed on drivers side and deck lid. Still looks OK at 30 feet.

Car drives and engine runs fine. Interior is tan leatherette and is nice. No weird noises from engine or transmission.

Issues; Fuel pump is going bad, I have new replacement. Crank up window pivots, broken, have new replacements. Major oil leak at front passenger side of engine after engine is off and sits overnight, valve cover gasket?, have new gaskets. Shifter linkage sloppy, have new bushings.

I have new tires installed (less than 2K )and recent alignment and starter battery. Perhaps $2k in new replacement parts (spares)and accessories.

This is a driving car. It has been maintained and is a decent original car. You can drive it home. If you want a show car it would be a straight forward restoration.

I paid $9K for this car in 1999 and have driven it only 4K miles. I have a new person in my life and not time enough for all my toys.

I wish to price fairly, and sell to a Porsche person and not a neighborhood kid who will wreck the car. I can either sell "as is" or complete the work listed in "issues" above.

I appreciate any thoughts from those on this forum to fairly market this nice but plain car.

Michael Connolly, Indianapolis, 317-253-7351
Old 06-06-2007, 04:36 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a car that sounds like yours on denver.craigslist.org that is at $8K asking price. No affiliation, just had been looking.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:41 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any pictures?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:39 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Michael, Food for thought: Many potential buyers are not mechanically inclined. You mention several items that need repaired (and since you already have the parts noted) you may get more attention by having them fixed BEFORE you sell it? That being said, if you cannot do them yourself (they all seem simple enough) and must pay to have it done ...may be a wash, cost wise.

IMO if YOU can do these minor repairs, do them and note them for potential buyers.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:27 AM
crufone
AutoX

Hello all,
I don't have a digital camera to post pictures. They say pictures tell a 1,000 words but they can also lie like Hell. The car is what it is. No rust, so, so paint job, minor dings, nice interior. It is a driver, if you want a show car then you will need a 5K paint job. I didn't wish to put that kind of money into a paint job for a driver. An 8K asking price is disappointing, I think that I have about $10,500 in the car right now. Excellence mag lists a good 1977 911S for between $11,300 and $12,800. Is that just inflated B.S. to satisfy the readership?

About the repairs. I am a mechanic so can do. Just thought that I would offer the car to someone who might want to do the reapirs themselves. Guy on Pelican thought that the oil leak might be the on-engine oil cooler seals..................how easy is it to drop the engine on a 1977 911? I have done VW's before in a parking lot, assume that the Porsche must be similar.
Thanks for the responses
Michael
Old 06-07-2007, 01:40 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

It's not too hard to drop the motor but will require the assitance of someone else to help out.

Here is a link for the engine drop

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ine_drop-1.htm

It will be easier to pull the engine & tranny as a unit since re-installation with the tranny still in the car is a pain in the A**.

The car will need to be jacked much higher then the VW bug/bus.

I think Excellence figure are over inflated, all you need is a few cars selling for way above the norm and itskews the average to a higher amount.
It would be nice if the listed how many and selleing prices of each model so we know if it's averaging 10 sales or 500 sales.

John
Old 06-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

You should probably not list it below what you paid for it. The trouble is, all that maintenance costs money and you usually cannot recover from it with an increased price. If you want to sell quickly, then list it for under $10k.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:34 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by crufone
Hello all,
I don't have a digital camera to post pictures. They say pictures tell a 1,000 words but they can also lie like Hell. The car is what it is. No rust, so, so paint job, minor dings, nice interior. It is a driver, if you want a show car then you will need a 5K paint job. I didn't wish to put that kind of money into a paint job for a driver. An 8K asking price is disappointing, I think that I have about $10,500 in the car right now. Excellence mag lists a good 1977 911S for between $11,300 and $12,800. Is that just inflated B.S. to satisfy the readership?

About the repairs. I am a mechanic so can do. Just thought that I would offer the car to someone who might want to do the reapirs themselves. Guy on Pelican thought that the oil leak might be the on-engine oil cooler seals..................how easy is it to drop the engine on a 1977 911? I have done VW's before in a parking lot, assume that the Porsche must be similar.
Thanks for the responses
Michael
Yeah, between 11k and 13k in that (daily driver) condition is a bit unrealistic in my opinion. Please note, I also have a 77 911. There are just too many of these for sale in the below 10k range (some of them in even better shape than yours or mine for that matter). Come to think of it...there are too many of the 3.2 cars in the 12k to 15k range to justify our cars being worth more, if that makes sense.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:25 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

List it for what you think is a fair price, sit back and see if you can get any reasonable offers.

Another option (drastic) would be to part out the car, sometimes you can re-cover more in parts
Old 06-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GothingNC
List it for what you think is a fair price, sit back and see if you can get any reasonable offers.

Another option (drastic) would be to part out the car, sometimes you can re-cover more in parts
You might consider parting the spare parts...
Old 06-08-2007, 08:33 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

You didn't mention, but has your car had the updates that are considered necessary on a 2.7. Excellence also recommends not buying one of these cars without the upgrades. Since you are a mechanic, I would suggest making the car mechanically sound in all respects, then ask a higher price. I would hate to sell any 911 for less than 10k. It just doesn't seem right
Old 06-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smshirk
...Since you are a mechanic, I would suggest making the car mechanically sound in all respects, then ask a higher price...
You know, that is a huge advantage. Considering that you will get paid for some of the work you do on this car when you sell it, I would work on it and then sell it.

Actually, if you make this car very sound, you should be able to get even more.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:06 AM
crufone
AutoX

I have thought about doing more of the mechanical work than just the 'issues'. The trade off is 'braking even'. So what if I get back in selling price what I put into the mechanical repairs? That is trading even, except that I now have 65 hours less of my life to do something else. The car I have is somewhat unique in that for the past twenty years it hasen't been driven much. It is one of those dilemmas, the car needs nothing or the car needs everything. To enjoy as a 'driver' it really needs just a few 'issues' attended to. But as one looks more closely one could tweak this and adjust that or polish this and change that...............................all perhaps unneccessary for a 'driver' but none the less attractive to have done. The thing is, all this tweeking and adjusting has a limit of diminishing returns when it comes to time invested vs sold price. I tend to be **** by nature, so it would be best to hold onto the idea of less is more, otherwise six months from now I will not be done tweeking enough to feel that the car is 'ready' to place on the market. Do you see where I am going?
Old 06-09-2007, 11:50 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I sold mine 4 years ago that sounds like yours only with a low mile $8K rebuilt motor and only could get $6K for it.

Quick Reply: Need Help with car Value