Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Anyone running a "big bore" N/A motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007 | 02:34 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm torn between joy and envy when I look at that and think of the weight to hp ratio.
Old 05-29-2007 | 11:42 AM
2000wrx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That car is very nice!!! That is the other issue I have, I must have a wide bodied car, I have seen a few 930's on pelican for 25K, this makes me wonder if the NA swap is worth the money.

What other advantages would an SC/3.2 with a 3.6 varioram swap have over a factory 930 car? Costs, maintainance, performance, Fun factor???

At that end of the day, I want a nice, wide bodied, 911, street machine. I would like to not care to much about resale since I want to male the Porsche “mine” if ya know what I mean

Thanks guys
Old 05-29-2007 | 01:45 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000wrx
What other advantages would an SC/3.2 with a 3.6 varioram swap have over a factory 930 car? Costs, maintainance, performance, Fun factor???
Thanks guys
Everyone's preferences are different so you'll collect a LOT of opinions on this subject. Its all about what YOU like,.....

Turbocharged cars require a great deal more ongoing maintenance than N/A cars do and the engines do not last as long; all things being equal. High-boosted ones do not last long at all.

For me, there is nothing like a N/A car with sharp throttle response and lots of torque.

I do not know where you live, but it shouldn't be tough to attend a PCA track day and get a ride in a car so configured. That experience will tell you whether this is something you want.
Old 05-29-2007 | 02:19 PM
drane
Advanced

Jus my 2c; I have enjoyed my 3.6 993 in my 87 turbolook. car is non ac with a few fg parts and checks in at about 2700#. we ditched the fi for 50 PMOs-cams n lifters. Car run well against o7 GT3s at Sebring, thats a Hoot! Enjoy, it is great when you get it right.
Old 05-29-2007 | 04:07 PM
2000wrx
Instructor

Yea it is hard to get a good idea of how each car feels over the internet Something in me wants NA but I keep trying not to listen. I have loved all of the turbo'd cars I have owned, but the quick snap of NA is nice, and in a very light car would be just a hoot!!

I am sure if I go NA I will be in touch with you Steve.

WOW, thats got to be pretty darn quick.
Old 05-29-2007 | 05:12 PM
911S3.6
Pro

These cars are really something special. I too wanted something that was mine, with no thoughts or plans about "resale". The motor is just one of three very important points. Porsche designed the 911 to have a balance of power, stopping ability, and suspension = integrated. This is what makes these cars so phenomenal. With a 3.6 conversion, one still has to maintain this balance of these elements. 930 brakes with Brembos and MC swap do the stopping part; revalving of shocks to handle compression and rebound are based on the car weight, tires, etc...adj, sways, stiffer springs, polybronze bushings for fluidity...NOW you have that balance with the volume turned WAY UP! You can lighten the car up by discarding a lot of dead weight, go to glass or CF..

hope this helps,
///Nick
Safety items should be considered also.
It is expensive, but done right the first time, no more so than buying a used GT3. The comparison, well, the GT3 is a symbol of todays technology at it's best, but the 3.6 conversion is sublime.
A ride in one would be the way to really know.
Old 05-29-2007 | 05:50 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, on a much lower end, my 84 Targa had a 3.4 bore and Andial cams installed. No hassles with the electronics or wiring harnesses, and just about right for a street car. Cams sound nice at idle.

Steve
84 Carrera
00 M5
02 G500
64 356C race

PS: I sold my '76 930 to buy this car. Both were equivalent mileages (39k) and conditions (excellent).

Quick Reply: Anyone running a "big bore" N/A motor?