Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Leather die for 911 seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 09:39 AM
86TargaWB
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Leather die for 911 seats

I have an 86 911 with black seats. The die is worn and I am looking for a place where I can buy the correct die for the seats.

Thanx Rob
Old 11-11-2002, 11:38 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
You could try these guys, <a href="http://www.colorplus.com/index.html" target="_blank">Color Plus</a>or <a href="http://www.leatherique.com/" target="_blank">Leatherique</a>. I have not used either, but know people who think highly of leatherique.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:58 PM
Mike Scott
Intermediate

I've used the Colorplus product (Surflex) and it works well. They have a standard color for the Porsche black that matches quite well. For the best results you should do the entire seat. You don't have to remove the old dye, but make sure you clean the surface well before you use it. I found a piece of foam sponge makes a good applicator.

P.S. The Surflex dye also works great on vinyl. I've used it on both my targa top and the rear bumperettes and it made a huge improvement. I did that over a year ago and it's holding up well.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:15 PM
KLehmann
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two words:

shoe polish

Made my seats look half their age. Mine were black, non-sport, partial leather.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:47 PM
KennyG
Intermediate

[quote]Originally posted by KLehmann:
<strong>Two words:

shoe polish

Made my seats look half their age. Mine were black, non-sport, partial leather.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Funny thing, this weekend I tried a mix (approx 50/50) of liquid black shoe polish and Lexol. So far they look great.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:55 PM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

[quote]Originally posted by KLehmann:
<strong>Two words:

shoe polish

Made my seats look half their age. Mine were black, non-sport, partial leather.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Isn't shoe polish wax+dye? Wouldn't shoe polish rub off on your clothes when it got warm?
The coloring on German seats is more like a paint.
-Chris
Old 11-13-2002, 09:47 PM
Rick Sylvestri
Racer

Kiwi Black leather dye, made my seats look new again. I'm also using some baseball glove oil on them sparingly. Havn't noticed any of the black dye on my clothes or white cotton rags I used the day after to test for bleeding of the dye. Got the info from the Pelican website.

Rick
Old 11-14-2002, 12:59 PM
KLehmann
Instructor

I too thought the shoe polish would rub off on my clothes. I used the Kiwi brand stuff and applied as directed. Rubbed it off and buffed it smooth. Then used a clean white towel and some water and rubbed and rubbed and got no residue. There still were no signs of any rubbing off onto my clothes after a few weeks of use. I don't have the seats anymore, so I don't know how the job has held up over the long term. Looked real good for the month or so I had them before selling!
Old 11-14-2002, 02:40 PM
Paul Brewer
Advanced

With black seats you can get away with Kiwi. However if your seats are some other color or the tanning is cracking, stripping the old tanning and re-dying will need to be done.
I restored my red leather with Leatherique. It took about 20 hours but the results made it worth it. Saved me $1300.

Quick Reply: Leather die for 911 seats