Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

misrepresentation online

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 08:47 PM
eworkley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down misrepresentation online

Wanted everyones opinion on this. Seller posts 911 online...states its almost mint (200,000+ miles)...omits that the head studs need to be replaced. I've seen the car and have engine problem relayed from reliable source. The car may have already sold, unfortunately to an unsuspecting buyer. This concernes me as a fellow Porsche owner. How do we combat this ?
Old 11-19-2001, 11:43 PM
Tom Dowling
AutoX

If the unsuspecting buyer doesn't do a pre buy on a car with 200,000 miles, the he/she deserves this car.

tdowling
87 Targa
Old 11-20-2001, 11:56 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I kinda agree with Tom. The last line of defense is the careful prospective buyer. People here frequently promote and remind prospective buyers to get a PPI. Other than bringing attention to a known frequent shady dealer, that's about all we can do. Let the buyer beware. PPIs are also recommended before buying a house, or a horse, except with horses it's a PPVC (pre-purchase vet check).
Old 11-20-2001, 03:56 PM
pbs911
Instructor

Aside from notifying the new purchaser you can't do much.

As far as the guy deserving the car, I disagree. If the seller represented the car as "mint" then the car should be. The seller made a material misrepresentation if he knew the head stud was pulled and represented the car is "mint" mechanical condition. Did he, I don't know. If he did he commited a felony, and a felony worse than someone who walks up and mugs someone on the street. At least that person has the "guts" to steal face to face. That seller relied on deception and intentional misrepresentations to comit his crime. Cavet emptor is often sited, but it is not the rule. No one deserves to be duped that way. Users of this web board and members of the P-car community know a PPI is essential for these cars. But how many have actually had a PPI done on their first P-car? How many had a PPI done on ALL of the cars they ever purchased. If a person can answer in the affirmative to both, then that person is probably an exception. By saying the guy derserves the car you are basically saying that it is ok to intentionally deceive someone for the purpose of personal profit. That is just plan wrong.
Just my .02.
Old 11-20-2001, 04:39 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Who would buy a car with over 200,000 miles on it? Nobody in their right mind I hope, and a Porsche at that. Who knows how much the previous owners beat the **** outta the car. Either way, i hate to say it too, but i agree with Tom....this person probably deserves this car if they're not taking any percautionary measures before buying it.

later,

amir
Old 11-20-2001, 06:55 PM
John Miles
Pro

Why see this as an online issue?

Misreprentation happens in the press, on the forecourt, on the phone.

Check em.

John
Old 11-20-2001, 08:14 PM
eworkley
Instructor

It guess I agree that everyone should insist on a PPI. I got to see the car while it was at the garage I use. It sat there for two years (without a storage agreement) because the guy couldn't or wouldn't pay a small repair bill. It needed some TLC and some interior parts, had been repainted but not any great effort towards detail. The story goes on and on. I guess this would be the difference between a P-Driver and a P-Enthusiest. May this be a forewarning to people buying on e-bay...whoops...I mean online.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:04 PM
MarkY
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there such a thing as a "mint" 911 with 200k miles? This statement alone tells me the seller was misrepresenting the car. People make uninformed decisions every day, you just hope they don't get burned.

Quick Reply: misrepresentation online