Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

is a 911 right for me? (serious question)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
Been going to school for 6 years and never had my car messed with, what is up with the other schools? Hell, I havent locked the doors in 2 years.
Did you go to school in Texas?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cars were routinely messed with at my undergrad college, even in a sleeply little midwestern town in the very early 90's. There was always news of someone's stereo getting ripped off, tires slashed, cab tops ripped open in the rain, cars being keyed or windows broken...
Old 05-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay H
Cars were routinely messed with at my undergrad college, even in a sleeply little midwestern town in the very early 90's. There was always news of someone's stereo getting ripped off, tires slashed, cab tops ripped open in the rain, cars being keyed or windows broken...
Did you go to school at SIU?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Hogan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha damn this thread is getting long... albeit off topic... but long still haha, alright guys thanks again for all your help, i think ill keep the GTI for a bit longer, i'll still hang out here and post and whatnot, cause I still can't ignore my love for Porsches, but you all do have a point, I'll see how the first semester goes, then when I have a better understanding of college (not to mention I'll have more time to drive a bunch more 911s to get a feel for them) then I'll make my decision... Thanks again.

and your right, the GTI is a very good college car, but about staying off the boost... easier said than done.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Hogan
Intermediate

oh and racingbeat... I'll be dropping you an e-mail soon, I have some work to do on the GTI first... limp mode... no good.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:55 PM
RacingBeat
Instructor

well since we're off topic here's the pics as promised.....one from this past st patty's day, seemed like the green pearls were the way to go.....my "daily drivers". but for those special occasions (kinda like sunday morning in the carrera), i'll take the dw's....

Last edited by RacingBeat; 09-05-2007 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Did you go to school in Texas?
Still do
Old 05-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tippy
Still do
Ah, that's why you can leave your keys in your car. Same general rules apply to small Midwestern towns as well.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:59 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hogan
...I'll see how the first semester goes, then when I have a better understanding of college (not to mention I'll have more time to drive a bunch more 911s to get a feel for them) then I'll make my decision...
That's a great approach to it...have fun and good luck!

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 05-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Hogan
Intermediate

Yeah, I definitely think that's the smart thing to do, I'm not going to lie, I wish it wasn't haha, but I think the smartest thing to do is to wait for a bit at least.
I actually went out 2 days ago and looked at cars with my friend, he's going to be getting a new car, and there are these 3 dealerships next to each other (BMW, this "exotic" car dealership, thats mostly muscle cars and hot rods, but has some porsches and mercedes, and then an audi-porsche dealership) and the exotic dealership had a beautiful 88 cab, and an older SC (dont remember the year) and so I stared at those for awhile, and of course it made me want one even more haha. Then I think I convinced my friend to get a 996 cab, so at least I have a porsche I can play with for awhile.
Anyway, here are a couple of pictures from some shows of mine the first 2 are from the Whisky A Go-Go in LA last April, and the last one is from the 930 club in DC.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Hogan,

One thing to consider: Talk to the engineering Dean and convince him to start a racing/testing program with some kind of kart. You can then spend a lot of time learning the thermodynamics, fluidynamics and mechanics of racing. All the while earning credit and having fun and the college's expense. Of course, they might already have something similar in the current curriculum, so check on that too...
Old 05-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Hogan
Intermediate

good idea murphyslaw, I actually did a little bit of research on that, basically just to see if they already have one, and it turns out they do, formula and baja. Here's the website I found on it.
http://www.terpsracing.umd.edu/
Old 05-13-2007, 04:16 PM
RacingBeat
Instructor

hogan that's nice.......playing at the whiskey....whoa!

by the way is that a 6.5" deep snare? if so what's the best benefit....big strong backbeat i'm sure but what does that size do for ghost notes....is there a signifcant difference plus or minus over using a regular ol' 5.5"?

sorry guys, we'll move this off the regular forum when we hit 6 pages...
Old 05-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Hogan
Intermediate

it makes good sounding ghost notes a bit hard... but i play loud... very loud, and were more of like a rock and roll band, but honestly, i usually play a 5.5" deep snare, the 930 club show was the house set, and the LA show is my set out there (old singer moved out to LA)... if you want to check us out our myspace is www.myspace.com/adoptahighwayband or www.myspace.com/theexilesband were in a little band name dispute at the moment, but anyway those have some songs off our EP, were going to re-mix them over the summer, and i really want to make some changes to the drums, but thats a rough version.

Quick Reply: is a 911 right for me? (serious question)