Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Pedal cluster rebuild - Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:01 PM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pedal cluster rebuild - Problem

I rebuilt my pedal cluster with bronze bushings (some months ago) after they had been dis-assembled almost two years (so I had no frame of reference, IE "memory"). During the rebuild, it seemed strange that the clutch pedal spring would "pre-load" the pedal (forcing it towards the floor??). Having never owned the car in a running state, I assumed perhaps a "stronger" clutch return spring went under the car (at the transmission) offsetting/balancing this tendancy.

Put the engine/trans. in this week. No spring under the car ... nor can I see where one would go??? 1969 2.0 with 901 trans. What have I done wrong?

The spring that loads the clutch arm is FAT on one side, THIN on the other. (See photo.) Seeming to correspond to the FAT arm and THIN metal frame??
My small mind can not see how this could be assembled differently??? But this will pull my pedal towards the floor and constantly pre-load my throwout bearing.

HELP!!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:04 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

The clutch spring looks OK. Don't worry, it won't preload your throwout bearing if your clutch is adjusted properly; it is there so that the clutch pedal takeup is smooth as your let it up. Just make sure that when you are doing your final clutch cable adjustment underneath the car at the tranny, use a pair of vise grips to pull the clutch cable all the way towards the rear of the car and hold it there to take up the slack in the cable while you turn the adjustment nut (IE the nut will be pulled away from its stop on the clutch fork when you are holding the cable). This ensures there is a bit of clearance between the clutch fork and the TO bearing.

Also, on the early cars like yours, there is no additional helper spring underneath the car; later cars got these, starting in '77.

---Chris A.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:46 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Thanks Chris,
I had it installed once and tried to adjust the thing. It seemed to me that the more I adjusted the cable (new cable from Pelican) ends (both in the tunnel and at the trans), to get the clutch pedal in proximity to the brake pedal (level), it was really pulling the throwout arm back and pre-loading the T.O. bearing?

I'll re-install it and try again.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris is correct with his info. Forget the brake pedal, set up the clutch pedal to have about 20 mm of free play at the top of the pedal.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:29 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Thanks guys,
Got the cluster back in and I seem to have it adjusted Ok this time.

B.T.W.: Got the wiring finished Friday night, engine cranks NOW! (its "semi" alive after five years of restoration!!) Cranking to build some oil pressure ...but alas, both my re-built Webers are weeping gas at the the accelerator pumps! Grrrrrr!!!! Always something with a new re-build. Have to fix those and then ...
Old 05-12-2007, 10:19 AM
viaenay
1st Gear

Old 05-12-2007, 11:29 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mo,

what year is your car? My 81SC has a little different look to the cluster. You have 2 coil springs and I have just one. But I have a long stretch spring for the clutch. Maybe that is just a difference in the years though.
Attached Images   
Old 05-13-2007, 06:45 PM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

James,
Yes apparently they changed in later cars. Mine is a 1969.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:45 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa, that's cool.

Quick Reply: Pedal cluster rebuild - Problem