Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

is a 911 right for me? (serious question)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:23 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, you've asked for advice...and you've received some EXCELLENT real world experience imo. You're going to do what you're going to do, but just because you 'can' get a 911 and take it to college doesn't me you 'should'. If your future college experience is anything like mine was 25 years ago, a bicycle is a MUCH better option than a 911, and you'll still get laid ! Seriously, you need to reconsider...

ps: You WILL have a 911 in your future, just wait a few more years and you'll be much better off.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 05-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Hogan, you seem pretty smart and have your bases covered. I think what most people are trying to say here is this: Have a long-term approach on 911 ownership. What this means is that if you focus on your college education, you will probably have better grades, which will lead you to better graduate schools. In turn, that will lead you to better, higher paying jobs. You will then be able to afford any 911 you want. I just did a DE event, and my 88 Targa was one of the cheapest cars there. Had I gotten better grades instead of worked on my Chevy in college...

If you can drop your car off at the mechanic and have your parents pickup the bill, then by all means, get a 911. If, however, you find yourself spending too much time with repairs and college jobs to afford the 911, then a better use of your time might be to study.

One final note: if you are going to be studying mechanical engineering, then it might make sense to have a car to work on for educational purposes and to be able to have transportation.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:11 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
If you can drop your car off at the mechanic and have your parents pickup the bill, then by all means, get a 911....
Or, it's time to grow up and begin supporting yourself . As a datapoint, I had a brand new Jeep CJ5 (that I had paid for) when I entered college, and after seeing it sit in the freshman parking lot for weeks at a time, I realized I was much better off with a "college car" and sold it. Enjoy college life for what it will be, and save the 911 for later...
Old 05-10-2007, 02:21 PM
RacingBeat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oshin and those with similar advice are right......honestly you don't need it now.......

i had a really cool car during my college years but you know what it didn't matter, i had too many people to hang out with and too many fun things to pursue. the thing sat even after i got past freshman year and had a better parking situation. about the only reason I got behind the wheel was to go home for holidays and such...and yes mine got vandalized by a crazy chick....no fault of mine i can assure you!!

i don't know how UMD is laid out but at ECU my whole world and everyone in it was within a 5 mile radius....hell i barely even watched the news for 4 years. the college experience can vary, personally i was in a great fraternity so i had way way way more distraction than normal but still college is college. it's a time for meeting people and new experiences, not as car-centric as those high school cruizin' years from 16-18.......whole different animal. hope this makes sense, it will once you're up there...

but as others have said you're going to do what you're going to do.....and you've had previous exposure to P-cars......so why ask us?
Old 05-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, this thread brings back a lot of memories for me with regards to college. I completely agree. You can drive around in a total beater and the hottie will still climb in next to you just 'cause it runs and drives and you two can go somewhere.

All during my youth I drove inexpensive cars. None were beaters, but they were typical $3000 to $4000 cars that looked O.K. and ran fine. All you need a car for in college (as RacingBeat says above) is getting back home on the weekend. I walked everywhere in college since it just didn't pay to fire up the car, find a parking space, etc., etc. You could walk everywhere faster anyway and not have to deal with the hassles of a car.

RacingBeat is also very correct in stating that college is all about meeting new people, working on your degree, making long term friendships (all of my best friends are from college after all these years yet), hanging out with hot girls, starting to learn how to take care of yourself on your own, learning to stretch $20 to last a whole week, and learning so much more about life. College is so much fun, you don't have time to fix, maintain and wax a 20+ year old 911...
Old 05-10-2007, 02:52 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I do not disagree with the conservative advice here. I drove an 87 audi coupe GT when I went to UCONN and it mostly just sat in the lot. I either rode my mt. bike every where or bummed a ride with my roomates. When I brought my 67' VW bus to campus, that was a whole other story. Everybody wanted to ride in that baby. When I drove it on campus, people (strangers) would stick their thumbs out and ask for rides to class. It was during this time that I spent most of my free time At Werke Classic Coach restoring my 912 and bartering my time and labor on other cars to pay for body panels, parts, paint etc....etc.... It was a great experience and in hindsight I could definately have lived without a car on campus if it weren't for me having to drive to and from the shop everyday. But every situation is different and I say if you can do it and you feel like the time is right, go for it.

Brgds, Peter
Old 05-10-2007, 02:56 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RacingBeat
....i don't know how UMD is laid out but at ECU my whole world and everyone in it was within a 5 mile radius...
A 911 would have been a "boat anchor" during my college daze...ECU '83

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 05-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Hogan
Intermediate

You all may be right, but my situation will be a bit different, since I'm so close to home, I'm still going to be working, I'm a drum teacher, so I'm just going to move my lessons to whenever I can do them, I mean I'll probably only work about 3 or 4 hours a week, but I'm making $50 an hour, so it should be fine, so I'm going to be driving back and forth a bit more... but you still may be right, and if thats the case, I may just keep the GTI... I don't know, if nothing else I'll wait until after orentation to see what I think I'll end up doing.

And, yes, I will be a mechanical engineering major, by the way.

However, you all do have a valid point, I'll do a bit more research before I make my decision.

You also have a point about the "spending all my time (and money) on my car... but I have a 1.8T GTI... that's where most of my money goes now anyway haha. I think I might even spend less on a Porsche because I won't be modifying it... who knows. That being said, cars ALWAYS have and always will be a huge part of my life, and I don't want to put a hold on that for college.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:25 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hogan
.... I think I might even spend less on a Porsche because I won't be modifying it... who knows..
We know

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 05-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hogan
I may just keep the GTI... I don't know, if nothing else I'll wait until after orentation to see what I think I'll end up doing.
You already have the perfect college car. Cheap to run, good on gas if you want it to be (off boost!), relatively common so as not to attract too much attention, etc., etc.

It sounds like you have some good common sense and I would advise just spending one semester at college to see how that lifestyle is going to change you (or not) before getting an expensive, old German car. $200 a week may not maintain an older Porsche if you run into serious issues.

I wish you the best! These are fun times in life!
Old 05-10-2007, 03:38 PM
RacingBeat
Instructor

drum teacher huh? wow that's cool......i'm a drummer too......if i knew how to work this PM deal i'd almost rather spend my time talking about that. as with our p-car community, knowledge is power........so we share it....

if you ever get the urge to talk drums, email me at racingbeat@bellsouth.net
peace
Old 05-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by RacingBeat
......i'm a drummer too......
That makes 3 of us!

(Here we go pulling this thread OT) I've been running my current band for 14 years now...longer than I've been married! Been playing in a band since I was 13 (that's 25 years of wrecking my hearing). I've been using a full set of Roland electronics for the past 14 years... My how time flies...
Old 05-10-2007, 04:01 PM
RacingBeat
Instructor

Default oh yeah!!

consider this thread hijacked........!! pictures to follow shortly
Old 05-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Jay H
Drifting

- - edited - -

Last edited by Jay H; 05-10-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Been going to school for 6 years and never had my car messed with, what is up with the other schools? Hell, I havent locked the doors in 2 years.

Quick Reply: is a 911 right for me? (serious question)