Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

front pan question-inner lining?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:41 AM
art
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front pan question-inner lining?

I saw a note on the early 911 site about replacing the front pan (not a member, so can't post there) and somebody mentioned that there is an inner piece that is supposed to tie the captive nuts together in some way that gives it greater strength. They said it is only available from porsche, so most people never doi and that not having it creates the risk of pulling the front mounts.

Anybody familiar with this?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:13 PM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Art,
What year car are we talking about? And just to clarify ...are you talking about the front "suspension pan" where the three bolts are that locate the front of the torsion bar? More info please.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:55 AM
art
Pro

I think it's any year 911, and yes the front pan where the front a arm mount is. I checked photos of my original one(75) before I removed, and it didn't seem to have this 'doubler' they are talking about either. There is a double secion added to the outside, but this post clearly stated that it was meant to go on the inside. It is on the early 911s site, I missed the 's' in my post above.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:41 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Well, I recently had to replace the front pan in my '69 project. The three "captive nuts" are very solidly welded into the pan (mine was from Restoration Products, but I assume an OEM pan would be similarly constructed?) I can't picture in my mind why any additional "piece" would help on the inside since the "nuts" are actually held in place by metal on the outside?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:53 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

I should mention: Since I was welding anyway, I DID stitch some additional beads along the sides where the two sections of sheet metal meet. (Not shown in this photo)

Those "spot welds" (althought the factory thought them sufficient) in this critical stress area, seem to me to need some additional strength. But you can see, the " captive nuts" have nice beads about them already.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:31 AM
art
Pro

This is the thread http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=15381

My pan old and new looked like yours from the outside.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:35 AM
art
Pro

my old pan, left side under batery from the inside
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2007, 12:19 PM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Art, I read the thread, but I have never seen the item discussed listed anywhere.

I would assume if you are welding in new pans you can fabricate whatever strengthening pieces you deem necessary. It seems to me the nuts are securely welded, if anything, the sheet metal pan itself is the weak point; witness my totally rusted out piece (with the nuts still secure!). So perhaps they are welding an additional piece "inside", to reinforce that sheet metal area???
Good luck.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:24 PM
74er
Advanced

I believe you are talking about this. Should be part of the suspension pan replacement kit.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2007, 02:01 PM
art
Pro

If that's what they are talking about, I am relieved. Who would leave that out? I'm not sure it is, I believe this is the tank support.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:46 AM
art
Pro

There is a link on the early911s site that has photos of the 'doublers' now.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:30 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Art,
Yes, it appears that these are additional sheet metal pieces that weld INSIDE the lower pan and are covered by the front tank support (74er picture above). If you feel they are necessary, by all means install them while you're in there.

However, as I pointed out earlier, my 38 year old rust bucket had the front mounting points literally pulling away from the pan (photo) on both sides. Yet the NUTS were still securely attached! If these are strictly to reinforce the captive nut ...I dont see the point. The "triangularization" of the mounting points, (in addition to the front "cap" that bolts over them) makes me think you would have to be in one @#$% of a crash (or preparing the car to compete at Baha) to tear those nuts loose. Just my opinion.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:08 AM
art
Pro

I was thinking along similar lines, that there is really not that much force on those mounts unless you are hitting huge bumps that load the a-arm axially. They obviously put them there for a reason, though. I replaced just one side of my pan under the battery due to acid leaks, so to add this doubler would mean cutting apart the battery tray which is not a huge deal, but might not be worth it for a fair weather street car.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:52 PM
art
Pro

I happened to come across the part of the pan that I cut out that still has the reinforcement on it. The attached photo is of the inside of the pan.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: front pan question-inner lining?