Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Theiceman or anyone. Question on the Convenience relay

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 02:31 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theiceman or anyone. Question on the Convenience relay

There is a thread on Pelicanpart regarding the problem of shutting of the car, pull key, door open/close => power windows still work. Someone explain about Convenience relay.
If I remember correctly, Theiceman also mentioned something about this relay. Do you know anything about it? Please add. Where exactly it located? Part number? Do you know if the normal relay can be moded to fit in there?
Thanks.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:32 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

Rnln

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same relay but mine was for the seat belt warning light and key left in the ignition and it resides behind the instrument panel. I poped out the guages on the left of the dash and there it sat. Mine is a 78 and I do not have any convieiniences at all. I have a pic of the relay I used but first make sure this is what you are looking for .. Mine was an Audi part I got off ebay...

Best of luck

Last edited by theiceman; 05-05-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:06 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

unn.. not sure if they are the same. The convenience relay someone in Pelican talked about is the one affect the door switch. Normally, some interior and power windows suppose to diable after key pulled, door opened/closed. Mine doesn't do that. My door always has power. Someone said that was the convenience relay goes bad. Do you have any knoledge about this?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:49 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

you checked the door contact plunger things? that tells that the door is open or closed also power to the window until the switch pops when you open the door. if these quit the windows will be hot all the time.
page 971-12 has a pic of the relays (4) in the bentley behind the two leftmost gauges
Old 05-06-2007, 05:53 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

The doors switches are good. I test them by connecting another set of light connecting directly to it and left them there for a while now and verytime either door is opened, the lights came on. So, yes, the switches are good.

Now my question to myself is, which device is it that functions all these features behind the switch? After asking, searching, and reading, I found the response was the "Convenience relay" behind the dash. Well, I feel it worth it to searching into this relay. The problem with my car is that these wires are all cut off and there is no lead for me to trace.

Anyone know which one is this "Convenience relay", which controling the power windows and other interior devices when door is opened/closed?
Old 05-06-2007, 08:50 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

late i can scan/post a pic if you really need it. You have the bentley book? 971-12 number one

i dont know where "Convenience relay" comes from, and I dont have a part number from any books or PET or anything else. take the fuel gauge out, the relay points tword the fuel cap, laying horizontal.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:40 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Thanks Jerry,
I think that is enough for me to dig in there. Another question if you know the answer, do you know which prong of the relay is connected to the door switch?
Thanks.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:49 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

sorry, i don't

Quick Reply: Theiceman or anyone. Question on the Convenience relay