Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Turbo type engine sound ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 10:26 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo type engine sound ?

Still trying to get all of the bugs out of my new Porsche(85 wb). This car has not been driven much for the last 10 years and every time I go out someting else crops up. I replaced the belts with OE and the tension is correct. I thought for sure the old belts were the problem but apparently not. Slow acceleration no whine. Medium acceleration and a high pitch whine occurs. Back off and it disappears. Fast acceleration it whines then disappears. I didnt notice any problem with the fan bearing when I changed the belt, felt OK? Any other possibilities.? Thanks Doug
Old 04-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Oil pump?
Old 05-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Does it whine like the way gears whine? Go out youtube and listen to how those Porsche cars whine when shifting. If the whine continues to increase as speed increases, even as you shift, then it's the rear end/differential. You could also pop the engine cover and manually rev the engine to listen to the whine while inspecting the fan/belt/pulleys. These might help you rule some things out.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:46 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant get it to whine by doing it with the lid open manually,I can only hear it when driving. You must be accelerating medium hard, very hard and no noise. If you back off just slightly you can make it go away.I had something very similar on my 964 but it went away with a belt change? CVjoints are new.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:34 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine makes a kinda whining noise but all the others I've been in do too.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:07 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,121 Likes on 802 Posts

Is you wife in the passenger seat when this happens ?

Just kidding ....

Anyway I would sumize that if you can not make it do it while standing it is drivetrain related but not in the engine. You said " belts" ...what belts are on their ? try removing the AC belt and just go with the fan belt to elimintae the AC compressor. hell if it were me I would take both belts off, do a medium acceleration down the street , come back and put it back on. The fan belt will cause your car to overheat and the alternator not to charge but for a 15 second run I think you would be fine.
Then you know , if the whine is gone you know where to look , if the whine is still there you know where not to look and you can move on.

good luck

Quick Reply: Turbo type engine sound ?