Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

targa top

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 01:23 AM
adamsbomb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post targa top

Hello all. Dont want to sound to ignorant, but just bought my first porsche, the owner did not know how to remove the targa top, and I have got the two front latches lose, the rear latch also, but it still hits at the front, how do you get the front bar to clear. I dont want to force any thing so just looking for a bit of advice. Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:18 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Adam,

What year is your 911. My '73 has only a set of latches in the front. You turn them together to the stops and lift. You then pull the top forward to disengage the guide pins in the rear. Once out, I place the top on the tops of my shoes and press the two hinges on the sides in to collapse the top and put it in my trunk or behind the front seats.

Reverse to reinstall.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:31 AM
Greg

I find I have to jiggle the front latches while lifting the top to get them to fully disengage.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:43 AM
Jdub
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While latches changed over the years, most designs incorporate a double latching mechanism. Turn the levers to the first position to unlatch the top, then turn them in the same direction as far as possible to unlock the secondary lock that is an emergency lock to prevent the top from flying off under power, at speed.

If your latches do not have the secondary latch mech. they are broken. Some folks have to physically move the top around to get the latches to finally come out - this is wrong. You should be able to pull it up clean after clearing the secondary latching mech.

Jw

John
Old 11-11-2002, 11:46 AM
adamsbomb
Intermediate

The car is a 76. I twisted the front latches what appears to be as far as they go. when I try to lift it out it feels as though there are three spots where it is still hitting at the front, it lifts slightly but still hits in what appears to be the center, and in both spots midway between the center and the latches. Is it possible I just dont have the latches turned all the way? And thanks much for the quick responses.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:51 AM
adamsbomb
Intermediate

it sounds like an issue with the secondary latch you describe, it is loose, but you just cant get her to come off as if it is a safety, it feels like the latches are totally turned, should I try to turn them further?
Old 11-11-2002, 01:46 PM
Jdub
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, turn them as far as possible, then try to lift. If no joy, move top towards the righthand side (passenger side) and lift up.

If your '76 is like my '78, you have three pins in the back that are engaged horizontally. You will have only two latches on the front, both of which can be coaxed to release by moving right and juggling the top a bit.

Be careful and do not force, but you should be able to get that bad boy off by turning both levers to full release and keeping them there as you move the top upward and to the right side. As it finally clears, let it rest and get out of the car. Then, from the driverside, pull top frontward as you support it underside with one or the other hand.

Jw
Old 11-12-2002, 12:27 AM
adamsbomb
Intermediate

Thanks 1 and all, got her handled.

Quick Reply: targa top