Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Removal Tips for rear targa window needed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007 | 04:21 AM
antar911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Removal Tips for rear targa window needed.

Has anyone removed a rear window on an SC targa?
The book says to cut the rubber gasket and press outward from the inside after removal of heater wires tucked in at bottom area of glass.

Any suggestions or things to watch out for??

Thanks in advance.

antar911
Old 04-19-2007 | 09:36 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

All I can tell you is tha I have heard it is a real NIGHTMARE to try and put back. Someone posted a while back about a glass shop that ruined his new seal trying to put it back in. THis glass is apparently quite heavy and you definitely need a buddy on this one. Of course take out the package tray from the inside first and diconnect the wire.

May I ask why are you removing it ?
Old 04-19-2007 | 10:53 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Not sure of any difference between a Targa and a Coupe? I removed (and installed) my coupe's front and back glass. Just be carefull not to damage the paint when you slit the rubber seal. Yes, watch out for the heater wires. It is a two-man operation! One inside, pressing out. I bought a couple of inexpensive, glass "suction cups" for the person on the outside to assist pulling with.

On re-install DO NOT purchase an "aftermarket" seal ... get the O.E.M. Porsche seal. Be carefull, older glass can be broken by too much presure when re-installing. But if you work carefully, you can do this at home.
Old 04-19-2007 | 11:00 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Forgot to mention ...the "trick" to re-install is a strong cord layed in the groove of the seal. This allows you (the person inside the car) to pull the seal over the sealing "lip". I also used liquid soap all around the edge, to ease the install. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2007 | 12:04 PM
antar911
Track Day

I am in the process of painting the car and the seal was chewed on the outside. it sounds like the reinstall is a bear. i once saw a picture a guy posted were he had installed hooks on the floor of his shop on the outboard of each wheel and had a rope with bungee clamps to clamp and keep force on the outer window.

antar911
Old 04-20-2007 | 01:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

WOW.. i can certainly belive it ....

If i can give you one tip it is this.

if you need to do any work on the interior on the targa bar liner that goes around the inside of the bar ( The piece that has the two vents in it. ) . Do it while th rear window is out. That inner bar comes out by being pushed back after the bolts are out. Getting it back in is a bear with the rear window seal in place as it forces the piece down and you have to push it up. I removed mine to reglue the vinyl around the hoop and allmost had to take the rear window out to get it back.

Good luck.
Old 04-25-2007 | 01:58 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

The Targa rear window is one of, if not THE hardest, car window to re-install. Some go better than others. I went thru 4 glass shops when I painted my car who all GAVE up after many hours. I was stressed, but came to my senses, and called the Porsche dealers in the area. They ALL recommended one guy. He and his helper took 2 1/2 hours, and he said he'd seen some better, and some worse.

Find out who in your area is experienced with these, and don't waste your time looking for the closest, cheapest, quickest, etc glass company.
Old 04-25-2007 | 02:34 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 136 Posts

The only people who got good at putting these in--are at the factory. Most of them retired years ago! A good Porsche network might help you to find that one guy in your part of the state that can do it. I have put in my share of windshields and rear windows on 356s and 911s,--and have never even wanted to THINK of doing the Targa window!
Old 04-27-2007 | 02:06 AM
antar911
Track Day

Yeah I hear you guys. I am going to look into this farming out option and see who I can get to do it. But I still think it's do-a-ble project, and even if I don't personally do it I will photo op the entire process and post it. From the various posts that are out there it appears the installation process needs:
A) A constant downforce, thus the strap scenario.
B) One also needs to have both an inside pull cord and an outside pull cord
C) Complete cleaning of rubbler seal indents and grooves to remove all residue form releasing stuff.
D) Maybe putting an extension on the rear window defroster wires to give one a little roof to move the window while installing.
E) When installing window back into the car once the rubber is on the glass, start at the top from targa bar and work downward.

anyway this is what i believe i have gotten from researching the install process. anything i have missed ... probably?

antar911
Old 04-27-2007 | 09:29 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Yep, a little luck.

The guy who did mine, and has done these for over 20 years(!) said it really is the luck of the draw as to whether it is just a "beyotch" or a COMPLETE "beyotch". These cars all vary a little bit, and it doesn't take but a mm or two to make a huge difference. Good luck to you on this, it definitely is doable....by someone.
Old 05-05-2007 | 12:47 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the look of my targa rear window. Someone should make a hinged plexiglass replacement kit.
That would save weight and make the rear storage more accessible. I love this feature on my vette.
Old 05-05-2007 | 04:01 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

didn't Porsche do that ? it was called the softback targa...or was it called the 944 ? ..

Last edited by theiceman; 05-05-2007 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Removal Tips for rear targa window needed.