Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need "Crunchy Sound "wheel diagnosis assist

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:27 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need "Crunchy Sound "wheel diagnosis assist

My new to me 85 widebody seems to have its first glitch. (50000 mile car) On the last few drives I infrequently heard a sound like I was driving over some metal parts when cornering. Visual inspections revealed nothing. Almost home tonight and a rubbing grating sound started coming from rear passanger wheel,continuiously for last 200 yards. Sounded like something metal dragging .Got home ,removed wheel and as I turned the rotar it felt like grating clicking noises. Pulled the CV and it didnt change anything. Brake pads look new , rotor unscored. Could this be a wheel bearing?? Hand brake works fine if that makes any difference? I need to order parts tomorrow a.m. If im to enjoy the nice weekend ahead. No time left tonight to pull any further but are there really any other possibilities?? Any input appreciated Thanks Doug
Old 04-19-2007, 12:18 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, my guess is the wheel bearing. Put the wheel back on and with the rear end lifted, pull the top of the wheel back and forth towards you. If there is play, there is a problem with the bearing.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:38 AM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SeattlePorsche
Yes, my guess is the wheel bearing. Put the wheel back on and with the rear end lifted, pull the top of the wheel back and forth towards you. If there is play, there is a problem with the bearing.
+1
Old 04-19-2007, 01:54 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll guess emergency brake (inside the hub). start easy........
Old 04-19-2007, 02:54 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

While rolling, see if applying the brakes changes the sound, then check if applying the emergency brake does. It could be a wheel bearing and it could also be a CV joint.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:40 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,109 Likes on 793 Posts

I would pull the rotor off before doing anything and spin the hub, this will tell you everything you need to know. With the rotor off you will have removed the ebrake from the equation and it sounds like the CV is off already also. Stuff you will have to do anyway to do the wheel bearing.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:52 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theiceman
I would pull the rotor off before doing anything and spin the hub, this will tell you everything you need to know. With the rotor off you will have removed the ebrake from the equation and it sounds like the CV is off already also. Stuff you will have to do anyway to do the wheel bearing.
Yep, at only 50K, I'd eliminate the e-brake from the equation...a likely culprit.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:04 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,109 Likes on 793 Posts

The ebrake could be a broken expander plate or the pad just fell off the backing. Do a search on Ebrake, I think my pics may still be there, if not and you find this to be the culprit Pm and I will sent you the pics I took of mine.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:06 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have had similar issues with my car. Sounds like a wheel bearing or e-brake to me. I have also had a CV go and for me that was more rhythmic as the joint spun. It was not a continuous grinding noise although it probably could be. The other issue is really determining where the sound is coming from. I thought it was one side and it turned out to be the other.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:59 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

And the answer is......Inner rear bearing, ground up but no further damage. Im surprised for 50k but mechanic said turbo setup is more prone to this?? thanks Doug This did not look like a do it yourself project for me.

Quick Reply: Need "Crunchy Sound "wheel diagnosis assist