Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Compare the 87-89 911’s to 1999 996’s

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:12 AM
Woodenewe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compare the 87-89 911’s to 1999 996’s

At the risk of asking a dumb question, the difference in price between an 87-89 911’s to 1999 996’s is not as great as I had expected. So what’s wrong with a 996? I read in Zimmerman’s book about serious early engine problems due to casting porosity. Many of these engines reportedly were replaced, and apparently replacement can be verified by a VIN check through a dealer. Also there is a concern about availability of engine replacement parts if all Porsche did was to swap engines. Oil leaks are still a fact even with the water cooled engine. Which brings up the issue if a water cooler can be a Porsche? Then there is the Mass Air Sensor, coolant reservoir leaks, and lastly, is it a great looking car? I like the fact it has airbags and it is new enough and low enough mileage that my bank can help finance it at a reasonable interest rate. What am I missing?
Thanks,
Bob J
Old 04-13-2007, 01:38 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The difference in driving feel is extremely vast when comparing these two cars. Obviously the '87 to '89 3.2 Carrera's were the last of the traditional torsion bar 911's that still resembled the look and feel of the first 911 brought out in 1965. Many changes were made from '65 to '89, but the general setup of these cars remained the same throughout the years.

The 1999 996 cars were a dramatic change for the 911 lineup with the introduction of water cooling, drastic departure from traditional 911 styling (interior and exterior), much "GT" nature of the car verses a raw sports car feel, etc.

Also, the 12 to 10 year age difference will also come into play since age takes it's toll on components, especially rubber trim, gaskets, hoses, belts, etc. The '99 car will just have less age related problems than the older car, apples to apples.

The '87 to '89 cars will always be desireable. Porsche had all the bugs worked out of these cars and they are a hoot to drive. The 1999 996's have inherent problems and have the reputation to go along with those problems. While overall they are still good 911's and are most likely pretty reliable, they'll never completely escape their mechanical reputation and resale values will suffer for awhile until these cars really age (30+ years or so).

Only you can answer the question on whether or not you like the styling of '99's. That is a subjective question.

Also, what you want out of a 911 will also come into play on whether or not a 996 or a 3.2 Carrera is for you. Need an everyday driver? Maybe the '99 will be better due to it's better safety equipment, easier driveability, and increased creature comforts over the 3.2 Carrera.

Drive examples (good examples) of each model. You'll know in a hurry which car is the better car for you. Again, there are huge differences in how these cars drive.

Best,

Jay
90 964, 843.2
Old 04-13-2007, 02:33 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1, and well stated....

I also completely agree that you must answer the *use* question first. If you want a more modern and comfortable daily driver, the 996 is it. If you prefer the pinnacle (IMHO) of the old style 911 (okay - I'll define that from 1974-1994), then the 87-89 with the G50 transmission is unmatched. Both cars are a complete evolution apart. The 87-89 is raw & precise, though underpowered. The 996 is refined, sleak & fast.

So do what I did, and buy both! My 964 is the "throwback" 911 for cruising (though I admit that the 87-89 is still my first choice for a rigorous Saturday drive), and my 996 GT3 is my modern speed demon (the ultimate track choice for my budget). Just an idea!

You have a very exciting choice to make... You can't go wrong either way.

-B
Old 04-13-2007, 05:49 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Wait to you drive a 996, and then you'll come out of the car wondering why anyone would want to buy any other car ever again.

I think the difference in price being similar just means that they are both a huge bargain due to depreciation. I saved $1000 a year on insuring the 3.2 over the 996. Routine maintenance (no big-ticket items, just blowers, fuses, fluids, filters, valve adjustment) was not much more than that since I've been driving it.

Don't let anyone scare you into thinking the 996 isn't reliable or isn't a Porsche. The 996 has a reliability rating that is still higher than all of its German car competition.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:41 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=94Speedster The 87-89 is raw & precise, though underpowered.

[/QUOTE]

Well it's under powered compared to a 996. And EVERYTHING is underpowered compared to a GT3.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:12 AM
ruckmjr
Advanced

I'm for getting one of each cause they are so different. I love 'em both and neither one can take the place of the other. And for what its worth, don't let them bash on the 996. It is a phenomenal car at bargain prices right now.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:28 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,127 Likes on 807 Posts

I concur , the 996 , and even 997 now, are suffering from depreciation. As Porsche turns out more cars every year due to production efficiencies and Demand, and we have a bit of a market sortening, they sufer the same fate as other car manufactures and have lots for sale. Even here in Canada a 993 is priced in some cases higher than a 996 and the 993 TT is priced higher than the 996TT. I think it is all about demand and availability.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:40 PM
bobbigham
Pro

I had a 2004 996 40th ann edition, very fast, well built, plush, maybe too much so?
But I enjoy driving my 993 cab more, a little sportier, something a little more raw, and now I'm thinking about adding a 87-89 targa to the fold, not as fast but really fun.
The 993 has been very reliable, rock solid, just as many Porsches are, except maybe the 928 (a little more tempermental and a lot more expensive to maintain).
Old 04-13-2007, 11:52 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Apples and oranges my friend. As an owner of both, the 911 is a raw sports car where as the 996 is a beautiful modern sports car. The air conditioning works, the defroster works, but the ride is much more refined . I personally believe the 996 is the most " bang for the buck " car you can buy. It is an amazing vehicle with ridiculous acceleration and fantastic handling. If you want " old school raw sports car " than the 911 is for you. My 88 has 70k miles on it and doesn't have one rattle. You can definitely tell the difference in build quality as the 911 is hand made. It all comes down to what you want. a value for your money or a legendary classic sports car ? If i was going to buy just one it would probably be the 996 as it can be used as a daily driver without question. The 911, well if there is no traffic you would certainly arrive at work with a smile on your face every day.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the trick with any Porsche is that they are easier to maintain than to restore or correct. Horror stories do circulate around every model, so picking a good one is crucial, and a PPI is a must. Thinking that every owner loves and cares for his pride and joy can get you in real trouble, so buy carefully. I say this over and over, but I have been bitten. It says a lot for these cars that many of us go on undeterred, but I would not wish a money pit on anyone, nor do I think they all go on to happy endings. YMMV
Old 04-14-2007, 08:54 PM
rscredon
Instructor

Great posts by all. My '87 is raw and lacking the creature comforts, but damn, I love the smile factor.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:41 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1. I have been driving the GT3 over the past few weeks in prepartation for an upcoming track day. This morning, I uncovered the Speedster after a long 6 month winter in storage. It fired up on first start and purred like a kitten. I went on a 45 mile drive with the top down and had a big grin on my face all afternoon....

The 996 and the 964/911 (80s) variants are such different cars - but damn, I love both of them!

Trust me. You can't go wrong with either choice.

-B
Old 04-15-2007, 10:16 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
I concur , the 996 , and even 997 now, are suffering from depreciation. As Porsche turns out more cars every year due to production efficiencies and Demand, and we have a bit of a market sortening, they sufer the same fate as other car manufactures and have lots for sale. Even here in Canada a 993 is priced in some cases higher than a 996 and the 993 TT is priced higher than the 996TT. I think it is all about demand and availability.
I think the 993 crowd suffer from an unrealistic expectation due to a perceived rarity that isn't necessarily true. I see a lot 993 coupes both here and on other car sales sites listed in the $40,000+ range and they don't appear to be selling. The fact remains that there are 993s out there and while many people talk about wanting to own one, there is a very small niche crowd that is actually willing and able to pull the trigger on such a purchase. Of course, this crowd is well represented on this site so I'm sure I'll catch a lot of flack for this statement and be bombarded with anecdotal evidence that states otherwise.

Quick Reply: Compare the 87-89 911’s to 1999 996’s