Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The rebuild begins....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
Default The rebuild begins....

I spun my motor up to some pretty high "R's" at the track a couple of weeks ago, and bent some valves. So, I pulled the engine last weekend, and started the teardown today. I've got it down to a long block. The next step is to go inside.
Attached Images    
Old 04-11-2007, 08:47 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,106 Likes on 791 Posts

MAn you move quick ... took James about a month to get that far :-)
As a quick recap what did it , was this the mised shift you were taking about ? .. was that the "money shift " thread ?

I think I will find this thread very informative. Never actually seen a damaged engine being taken down. What symptoms did you have Ed?

ice
Old 04-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Yep, that was the money shift thread. The engine ran, but was real rough, and not much power. So far, it has all come apart fairly easily, I hope my luck continue. I took about 60 pics of the injection setup to make sure it goes back together as it should. I'm going to take the intake assembly apart too, in order to get the intake extrude honed as part of the build. It comes off as one piece, which you can see on the floor in the third pic.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:29 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theiceman
... took James about a month to get that far :-)

ice

A month? Try...months. It took me a month just to get it into an engine stand.

Looks great Ed! I am looking forward to the photos of the inside of the engine. That will one day be my new frontier...
Old 04-12-2007, 07:50 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Sure, I'll take plenty of pics. So far, they've all been kind of boring, but will help reassembly.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:05 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Hey James how is everything running. I mnot hijacking the thread since it is related .. after your rebuild , do youhave an update ?

Ed what is the scope of your work ? are you doing the top end or is the plan to check the botom end also to since you had a "valve - piston interface" ? If you do as james said that would be interesting to see.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'm going thru the bottom end too, and the plan is to grind the cams to 964 specs, racing valve springs, extrude hone the intake and ARP rod bolts.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:54 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

964?? I think you can go a little more agressive and still pass emissions...

I have plenty of pictures too - But the digital camera is definitely your friend - think axis - you want to take pictures from several vantage points of the same thing - This part was very enjoyable to me - once a day I was talking to myself - saying - cool - so that's how that works!
Old 04-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Jeremy: I may go a step further on the cams, but I've got to consider that we may be in California in a couple of years. And we know how much fun emissions testing can be in that state....
Old 04-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Got the clutch off as well as all of the tensioner stuff this afternoon. The big parts come of next.

Three of my valve adjuster locknuts had spun off, one getting crunched. I did find all of them. I'd just adjusted the valves 300 miles before the incident, and I was sick to my stomach that I may have screwed up here.....besides the "money shift".

But, apparently banging the valves into the pistons at high RPM's tends to do this fairly regularly, so I don't have to feel like I can't do a valve adjust without screwing up bigtime!
Old 04-15-2007, 12:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Ed
to me that would make perfect sense if the nut tightens down the valve ( not sure of the exact set up. ) if the piston drives the valve back then there is no more tension on the lock nut and it would instantly go loose. Looking forward to some great pics.

ice
Old 04-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
Ed
to me that would make perfect sense if the nut tightens down the valve ( not sure of the exact set up. ) if the piston drives the valve back then there is no more tension on the lock nut and it would instantly go loose. Looking forward to some great pics.

ice
The nuts aren't directly connected to the valve. They are lock nuts on the adjuster studs that in turn are threaded thru the rocker arms. The shock of the impact has to go thru the stud, up thru the rocker arm threads and to these lock nuts. It's pretty impressive to me that this can result. That sounds funny to say that. Just got in from taking the heads off, I'm going to download some more pics a little later and update...
Old 04-15-2007, 08:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Sounds good .... better post a warning if they are greusome pics :-)
Old 04-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Nothing too gruesome, other than a 130K mile motor that needs cleaning. I got the heads off today, and the tops of the pistons look good, other than the expected carbon on top, but it really wasn't too bad. No dents or gouges, so it would appear that the valves didn't hammer them too hard. They cylinder sections I can see look good too. I'll hopefully have the jugs and pistons off tomorrow, and then the ring groove inspection as well as the roundness inspections will tell the true story.

I've got at least two bent valves. I've got a very special and highly scientific method of checking them. I put the heads on my bench. Then I turned off the garage lights and shined a flashlight into the combustion chamber. I then peek in thru the ports, and lo & behold-I saw light aound the two valves that knocked the locknuts off! So, two that I know of....I'll let the machinist do the real checking when they get sent off.
Attached Images    
Old 04-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Oh, another item of note is that I do indeed have the infamous Dilivar head studs on the exhaust side, and they were in one piece and looked great. They will get changed, however, to good old steel studs.

Quick Reply: The rebuild begins....