Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The rebuild begins....

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

ve sent the shortblock stuff off for machining. The case will take about 6-8 weeks, so it is the long leadtime item. The other stuff will be fairly quick. Based on this, I should be starting assembly in July.

When was the last time you UPS'd an engine "block"?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Joseph Mills
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ed!

Still waiting?

I do hope UPS did not lose your engine "block"!

Joseph
88 Carrera
axhound
Old 08-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Hi Joseph. Actually I got a bunch of stuff in last week; I'm starting in on the bottom end this coming weekend. The time is here!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey, welcome back, I was hoping all is well with you! BTW, your avatar is freaky - I've got to make sure that my little boy isn't looking over my shoulder when I'm reading your stuff - he wants a cat. Well, maybe if he sees the avatar... Hmmmmm...
Old 08-27-2007, 10:15 PM
GeneralTso
Instructor

Ed...outstanding thread and pics! It's great to see the blow-by-blow account of someone tearing the engine apart... Thanks for taking the time to share it with us!

Jeff
Old 08-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Joseph Mills
Instructor

I can personally vouch for Ed being a nice guy. He was kind enough to let me drive his track car so I could get a first hand impression of how larger torsion bars and stiffer shocks will feel.

But he does have some damn weird avatars!

joseph
88 carrera
AXhound
Old 08-28-2007, 12:38 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a great thread. Thanks, Ed, for your pictures and commentary.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:37 PM
rickdm
Racer

Ed, are you going to be able to make it out at all this Fall? You should at least plan on being at the new Eagles Canyon track in November.

BTW, you are not going to believe this, but I missed a shft on my newly rebuilt engine. I went to the night event at Texas Motor Speedway and in my confusion went from 4th to 3rd instead of 4th to 5th. I saw that tach needle flying and slammed on the clutch as soon as I could. It still went flying past 7,000rpm. We will have to see if the racing valve springs, Titanium spring retainers and racing rods bolt pay off. The engine kept running without a problem, and I finished the event, but I am taking in to Buckley in a couple of weeks for a leakdown test. I am just praying that I don't have to face another rebuild

Hope to see you soon,
rickdm
Old 08-28-2007, 02:45 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdm
BTW, you are not going to believe this, but I missed a shft on my newly rebuilt engine. I went to the night event at Texas Motor Speedway and in my confusion went from 4th to 3rd instead of 4th to 5th. I saw that tach needle flying and slammed on the clutch as soon as I could. It still went flying past 7,000rpm. We will have to see if the racing valve springs, Titanium spring retainers and racing rods bolt pay off. The engine kept running without a problem, and I finished the event, but I am taking in to Buckley in a couple of weeks for a leakdown test. I am just praying that I don't have to face another rebuild
Hearing these stories leads me to believe that it's a good idea to install some sort of gate shifter (Seine, Wevo or Rennshift) if you're going to track your car. Yikes!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome back Ed, we were beginning to wunder....
Old 08-28-2007, 10:21 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job Ed. Nice photos!
Old 08-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the delay on this, with the new job the last couple of months (35,000 air miles and counting) and the back-up at the machine shop, I've been stalled for months. But, I've got a fair amount of parts on hand, more than enough for the shortblock. Here are some of the goodies as I fondled them last weekend.

My heads arrive at the machine shop this week, and I should have them late September. I should also know this week on my pistons and cylinders. They're cleaned and ready for measurement. How this turns out will make a $5,000 swing as I'd probably go to 3.4L and twin plug. If I do that, it'll probably delay everything a month or two.

Rick: Eagles Canyon is the goal, but I'm going to sacrifice that event if I'm not making the progress I hope for on the build. Between business commitments and some other stuff I've got going on (including Rennsport Reunion III !!), I lose about 1/2 of my weekends for the next three months, and I'm in California for work every other week, with misc trips the other weeks. I wish I was still "retired" to devote time to this project, but being "gainfully employed" again now allows me to spend freely without guilt!!
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Oh, here is what I've got done and/or bought so far:

Case checked and cleaned, new galley plugs and piston squirters
Connecting rods re-furbed and re-bushed
Crank inspected, polished and cross-drilled
Cams ground a bit hotter than 964 profile
Rockers refurbed
ARP Rod Bolts
Main, rod, #8 and layshaft bearings
Supertec Headstuds
Wrightwood Racing gasket sets for case and topend (viton)
New case hardware, oil press. pistons & springs, return tubes, chains & ramps
Engine mount oil cooler cleaned, tested and repaired
Injectors cleaned and "blue printed"

Waiting on:

Heads-valve job, resurface, Aasco racing springs, Ti retainers
Cam towers-resurface, clean and re-plug
Pistons & Cylinders-clean bill of health (or not)
Old 09-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Time to Start!!!

I spent about 4 hours today, and too many cans (8) of CRC brake cleaner, cleaning my case halves out real well, as well as my crank. I got to use my respirator, which doesn't get out too much, as part of my protection from the harmful effects of the solvent. I even used chemical gloves and eye protection. There was a time in my youth when I wasn't as careful...

I also used JB Weld to reseal the old factory seal points that dissolve when the case gets hot tanked.

My case, crank and connecting rods had gone to Ollie's, where the rods were R & R'd, the crank was checked, cross-drilled and micro-polished. My case checked out well, in fact the report card was that everything looked pretty darned good, so it was cleaned and got new galley plugs and piston squirters.

I got a bunch of parts in while I was travelling, and unfortunately, my main bearings weren't really main bearings after all, so I'm hoping to put the rods on the crank this next week, and then put the case together next weekend.

The last picture is Porsche special tool #999, which is one of the most important ones used when rebuilding.
Attached Images         
Old 09-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Got a little done today: I mic'd the length of my ARP rod bolts. This building stuff is fun (& clean)!!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: The rebuild begins....