Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

90,000 Service

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Tarheelexec
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90,000 Service

Hey guys. Please pass along your thoughts about the price of a full 90k service for an '89 Cab 911 by either a Porsche dealer or a certified private shop Porsche mechanic. (parts and labor)

Thanks Tarheel
Old 03-28-2007, 10:43 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why dont you ring around and actually get a price and what has to be done so we can tell you how badly you're being ripped off!
Old 03-29-2007, 04:56 PM
glenncof
Instructor

As mileage gets beyond 60K I do a more focused approach than throwing a "full service" at it.

The last time I did it the mechanic decided I needed new wires at $500 + labor and did not ask me. He might have been right but he did not fix the cold idle problem and I had to bring it back.

I have done all my own maintenance since then (about 5 years, 55K miles).
Old 03-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Tarheel: A professionally done "90K mile" service, at today's labor rates that are near $100/hr, will cost you about $700 - 750, more with synthetic oil. The service takes about six hours, and should include recommendations for extra work that might be needed; torn CV boots, worn out pads and rotors, brake hoses (every 10 years/100K miles) and a fluid flush if they haven't been done yet, wheel bearing (front) inspection that includes popping off the dust covers, inspection of the clutch slave hydraulic fluid hose, A/C service/repairs, etc. Any extra items that require work should never be done until after you've rec'd a description and estimate, and you've authorized the work. A really good shop might even invite you to stop by and show you any problems with your car on the hoist.
Pete
Old 03-29-2007, 09:45 PM
Tarheelexec
Intermediate

Being mechanically "challenged" I must reply on the dealer or a Porsche shop for this type of service.
I guess I am at their mercy but was trying to get a handle on costs from those of you who have to go the same route. It's times like this you wish you could find the old time shops that charged for what needed doin' and avoided loading the bill with a lot of "preventive maintenance" and things that may be necessary to do to bring the car up to "spec"

Pete, thanks for the thoughtful reply. I hope a few others can also estimate a dollar cost for this type of service to give me a ball park of expected costs. Nothing's cheap anymore
Old 03-30-2007, 11:08 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Where in NC (I'm assuming you're in NC ) are you located, and who are you using for service? I do my own work, but there are several good "old time shops" around the state that you could use...I wouldn't go anywhere near a dealer for service on an '89.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 03-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I will certainly echo Keith's concern about dealers, many are now nothing more than parts hangars and really don't know or appreciate your "ancient" car. Like I said above, when you choose your shop and make your appointment be sure to tell them that you require an authorization request before they do any extra work. Of course, you can also talk to them about what a 90K mile service consists of (oil & filter change, trans oil change [fill with synthetic], valve adjustment, new spark plugs, check cap/rotor, check all on-board systems, belts, lights, charging system, brakes, heater system, etc.). An honest shop will be very open with you and discuss this, he might even tell you who in the shop will do your car and what level of experience they have. If there is evasiveness, if you don't see any 911s in the shop (only BMWs and VWs), you have every right to leave - it's your car. A final thought, I used to be proud of my shop's extensive service library that covered every model of every Porsche that we maintained, and even showed it off to anyone who asked. Ask the shop about their library!
Pete
Old 03-30-2007, 01:53 PM
travis2
AutoX

Default 90k service

Tarheel,

I would be glad to give you some recommendations if you are in the triangle area. Just getting ready to drop my '87 off for the 75k service.

--travis

Quick Reply: 90,000 Service