Newby question about ventilation system

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:04 AM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby question about ventilation system

I know others have asked but here goes:

On my '89 Carrera 3.2...regarding the heating/cooling-fresh air. During the colder weather I had no problems with the heating or the defrosting/demisting. The warm air came out of the outer dash vents as well as the defroster vents as directed. In addition the footwell blowers worked as did the flow of air from them as controled by the fan switch between seats. I have the manual system with the dual red levers.

The a/c system fuunctions fine with the cooled air coming from the outer dash vents as well as the center dash vent. I do need to get the system recharged though.

Now here is my question. For fresh air operation as I understand the upper left lever controls the air flow from the inlet in front of windshield and the upper right lever controls the blower within this system. All fine and dandy...I can get air to flow from defroster outlet or it seems as from footwell vents. However I can't get any air to flow from dash vents (either the side vents or the center vent) using fresh air.

Is this correct? I'm guessing that I need to open a window to get any real fresh air.

Comments?

Thanks,

David
Old 03-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

If you have factory AC, the fresh air only comes out of the defrost or footwells (depending on the setting of the center lever) when the upper left lever is pushed to the right. If you don't have factory AC, fresh air will come out of the center vents when the upper left lever is pushed to the left. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Pavegeno928; 03-13-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

+1, Pavegeno928. Right.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:00 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, great! That's just what I wanted to hear. Then my system is functioning as intented.

Sure wish that one could get fresh air at face level through the dash vents. I guess that is why we have windows and sunroofs.

Thanks!

David
Old 03-14-2007, 07:52 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BMWDavid
....I guess that is why we have windows and sunroofs....
That's what I use, but with a bit of ingenuity, you can have fresh air if it is essential by "tweaking the air ducts" in the trunk area. You might want to search the archives over on Pelican as I recall seeing some good threads about that.

Keith
'88 CE coupe

Quick Reply: Newby question about ventilation system