FS: AMAZING 48k mile one owner 1985 911 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 02:35 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rotten Robby
Excelllence placed the value of the "excellent condition" Carrera at about $25K. This ones low mileage and records would increase that by 10%. I imagine that is what is driving the price the owner is asking.

Mine is an '84 with similar miles and condition right down to the records and such. It is Chiffon White with a Cadbury Brown interior. The asking price was more than this one. Mine includes not only a reciept for everything ever done, including brake fluid, if it was a hard part that was replaced it was put in a large rubbermaid container and given to me with the car.
My point is the asking price is justified. This car in this condition is not found every day...
Thank you, Robby. You hit the nail on the head.

The reason this one will bring a premium is it's complete history and the fact that it is still owned by the original purchaser. There is nothing questionable about this car. . .

As for the seats, the pass is just fine. The drivers bolster has wear, but it is ONLY the dye. If you close your eyes and rub your hand over that area, it feels no different than anywhere else on the seat. I understand it looks a lot worse in the pictures. . . And as I said-- If I were to purchase this car myself I would have the driver's seat back redyed, put on some new tires (although the current ones have nice tread, they are a few years old-- I can find out exact age by looking through receipts).

As Roger said, you can go and buy one of these with 164k miles on them with incomplete records and questionable history for $15,000. For some people, that makes more sense than spending $27000 on this car. There is nothing wrong with that, just understand that there *are* people out there looking for an unmolested, original, low mileage, completely documented 911 with unquestionable history, and they are willing to pay a premium for that. This car represents a very small group of survivors. . .

Thanks to those of you that left positive comments.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Oldtee
Pro

This is a good asking price. Given enough time there may well me another asking price and sooner than later a paying price. That is the market price!
Old 03-05-2007, 04:36 PM
GeneralTso
Instructor

Nice car.... Too bad Barrett Jackson's packed up for the year already... It would be interesting to see what it would bring at auction.

Jeff
Old 03-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Drew Theodore
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody want to buy my car for what Excellence says it is worth?
Old 03-05-2007, 04:53 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Drew Theodore
Anybody want to buy my car for what Excellence says it is worth?
Well, drew- I guess that would depend on a number of variables. I have paid a whole lot less for Porsches than excellence's market value-- and I have paid a whole lot more than the excellence value. It just depends on the car.

Thank you for your reply, but this was not a thread asking what this car is worth, or is this a good deal. It is an offer of sale to a group of enthusiasts. . .
Old 03-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Drew Theodore
Instructor

Well Ted, You probably should have listed the car in the classified section if you want to sell it. If you want to discuss it, this is the correct forum. We have discussed it.
It looks like a nice car. I simply asked what justified the asking price. As a seller, I wish Excellence Magazine was accurate. Unfortunately, most buyers don't read the magazine
Old 03-05-2007, 06:02 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gross generalization: buyers of top condition 911s read Excellence - sellers of them do not move their cars via B-J.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Nice looker ! I for one appreciate the opportunity, even if I can't act on it. You friend should dye the seat now, and relist. It will sell.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ted,

You may want to suggest to your friend that matching rubber will help the car handle a bit better. The pics show mismatched tires... Just trying to insure your friend gets his price...

Love that vintage Alpine!!

Jay
Old 03-05-2007, 09:17 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jay,
Good eye! The car does have Yokohama rubber all the way around. . . It does look like a different model Yoko is on the rear than on the front though-- probably from these cars going through rear tires twice as fast as fronts!
Old 03-05-2007, 10:16 PM
roger's 2937
Instructor

Smile

The one I purchased with 164K on it has complete records and there is nothing questionable about the history. The car is very clean, original paint and interior, doesn't leak at all and in about 1,000 miles there's no oil consumption and I didn't pay a premium for it. Good luck with your sale-it's a very nice car.

Roger B.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:28 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Personally I think RM Auctions is a better place than Barrett-Jackson for foreign imports. Check out there site for the March 10 auction and you'll find 3 outstanding P-cars. RM may be a place to sell a car in this type of condition. I'm sure you will find a buyer in the +20 area.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,758 Likes on 1,094 Posts

What's that black thing on the rear deck lid by the AC condenser?
Old 03-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Corrales911
Instructor

I must have gotten the deal of the century as I paid only $14 and change for a car "cleaner" than that one with 67,000 on the clock in late 2004. Or have the prices really jumped recently?
Old 03-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Corrales911
I must have gotten the deal of the century as I paid only $14 and change for a car "cleaner" than that one with 67,000 on the clock in late 2004. Or have the prices really jumped recently?
As the economy continues to improve, prices of these cars are going up a bit. It's no longer unsual to find an '86 that is over $20k for a low mileage, good condition example.

Even ultra low mileage G-50 cars are over $30k once again. Heck, I could probably even SELL my 964 now since some people seem to want those models again. A few years ago, you couldn't even give away a 964...much less an early one.

Quick Reply: FS: AMAZING 48k mile one owner 1985 911 coupe