Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

recommend shop in Nashville

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 02:53 AM
Ron Minson
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommend shop in Nashville

I am looking for a shop or good mechanic in the Brentwood/Nashville Tn area. I just moved to Nashville about 6 months ago and several weeks ago I had some transmission issues that I have not been able to resolve on my own. Can anyone recommend a good shop/mechanic that is good and trusted by this group?

Thanks Ron
Old 03-03-2007, 10:05 AM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Ron,

Sorry we were not able to get a "maintenance suuport group" going. I tried again the other day, but apprently, there are not enough us here in the volunteer state!
Old 03-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Ron Minson
Pro

Shane,

I posted the same question on the 993 list and there are a bunch of guys in nashville, in fact they were getting togather this morning for coffee and a drive (i think). it is killing me not to have my car running, but hopefully i can find someone that is good in the area and get if fixed inthe next few weeks. How is your car running? I still would not mind getting togather, meeting some place in the middle for a drive and lunch.

ron
Old 03-03-2007, 01:52 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ron Minson
Shane,

I posted the same question on the 993 list and there are a bunch of guys in nashville, in fact they were getting togather this morning for coffee and a drive (i think). it is killing me not to have my car running, but hopefully i can find someone that is good in the area and get if fixed inthe next few weeks. How is your car running? I still would not mind getting togather, meeting some place in the middle for a drive and lunch.

ron
Bummer! Wish I'd known that... I need to come up to Nashville to pick up my "new" Rollbar
Old 03-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Ron Minson
Pro

Originally Posted by v8_ranch
Bummer! Wish I'd known that... I need to come up to Nashville to pick up my "new" Rollbar

my guess is that my car be on the road in a week or two, if that is the case i can pick up the part and meet you in the middle, or if you need it sooner and your picking it up in sooner nashville we can just get togather for lunch.

Ron
Old 03-03-2007, 02:23 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ron Minson
my guess is that my car be on the road in a week or two, if that is the case i can pick up the part and meet you in the middle, or if you need it sooner and your picking it up in sooner nashville we can just get togather for lunch.

Ron
Yeah, that sounds good. Maybe we can stir up some others that would be interested in that. Maybe we could do a drive down Natchez Trace? Do you know of any other ones that are decent?

My car seems to be running fine, although I still think the CIS needs some adjustment. I just bought a Bentey manual and would still like to find someone that knows CIS well to get together and do some sort of CIS workshop or tech day. Problem with doing that through the PCA's is that not everyone has CIS.

I just bought the rollbar from a guy out in Hermitage. I also bought a euro premuffler and M&K 1in 1out. Anxious to get those installed! Picked up a set of real euro H4's from the same car the premuffler came off of. Now I just need to find a good buy on some Fuchs...
Old 03-03-2007, 06:07 PM
bmcallister
Instructor

DO NOT GO TO EURO SPORT AUTO!

I have heard Euro Sport Auto in Hermitage does work on air cooled 911s. I have only one experience with them and it was less than ideal. My car's transmission crapped out while visiting a friend in Nashville. I had the car trailered to them. They felt the whole problem would be fixed by replacing one coupling. I knew the problem was more serious. When the coupling did not fix the problem, they were not willing to entertain the idea of rebuilding my trans. They insisted ordering a fully rebuilt unit and removing and replacing was the only way to go. I asked why and the response was basically "it's just easier that way." I said forget it I'll take it somewhere else.

At that point, Lee (the owner's, Roberto, son) offered me $6K for my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a nearly mint '85 with 150K of complete documentation, a freshly rebuilt engine, and newly replaced just about everything that matters (except for the transmission at that time). I was annoyed at their obvious lack of knowledge from the technical aspect. If they knew how to rebuild the transmission they would have at least told me why it was not wise to do so. It was also extremely unprofessional of him to offer to buy the car after he would not do the work on it. Not to mention the insulting offer price.

I wound up trailering it to Auto Assets in Powell, OH as I knew them very well and knew it would be done right. They rebuilt the trans and did a fantastic job. It was worth the $600 to transport it to them.

My buddy has had a couple of Ferraris and takes them to Euro Sport. Roberto is an old-school Italian guy and know the marque pretty well. But neither he nor his son know Porsches well.

I am going to be moving to Nashville in May. I'll be looking very hard for a good shop. Let me know if you find one, I'll do the same.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:53 AM
gunlover05
Racer

I don't know about nashville, but there is an EXCELLENT shop in knoxville (2.5hrs away from Nashville)...Air Cooled Classics....he has a car featured in this months Excellence magazine (964 4WD RSR replica) and they are really great guys (Ask for Don)
Old 03-05-2007, 11:33 AM
danoberer
Instructor

Default only one guy to see

Hi,

Nashville is a GREAT town. Great Porsche roads! I lived there for 7 years and just moved. The absolute best guy in Nashville is Wickie Laurie at Rennwerks. Trust me - he is awesome. Completely trustworthy, a real expert, super nice guy. He used to be a mechanic for Brumos Racing. His shop is right off the highway in Madison (jut north of Nashville).
Old 03-06-2007, 12:16 AM
MrDigitaL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by danoberer
Hi,

Nashville is a GREAT town. Great Porsche roads! I lived there for 7 years and just moved. The absolute best guy in Nashville is Wickie Laurie at Rennwerks. Trust me - he is awesome. Completely trustworthy, a real expert, super nice guy. He used to be a mechanic for Brumos Racing. His shop is right off the highway in Madison (jut north of Nashville).
Wicky is a great guy...
Here's his # 226-4928
Old 03-09-2007, 01:03 AM
Ron Minson
Pro

thanks guys
Old 03-09-2007, 01:16 AM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by danoberer
Hi,

I need to pop in and visit when I pick up my rollbar, which is in Madison, or meybe that was Hermitage. Oops...

Quick Reply: recommend shop in Nashville