Might sell my Carrera, need some advice on how to proceed

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 01:10 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might sell my Carrera, need some advice on how to proceed

I've bought and sold several cars using the internet. That's how I found this one. I'm considering selling it because there are simply too many things that I would like to do to it given the time and budget, neither of which seems to be there.
It is in good mechanical condition, but it lacks a good paint job, and there are many flaws that a purist would shudder about.
I'm not going to bother asking what you guys think it is worth or what would you sell it for, etc. I'm asking how you would prepare to sell it and what method you would use to advertise, etc.

I know I'll need some pics. That means a good wash & wax and an interior detail are in order.

I sold my last car a couple of years ago & it was a genuine PITA. I sold it to a guy locally that made me jump through hoops with taking it/him to the bank, etc. It was a hassle that I would prefer not doing again. I lost about $6,000 of what I had invested in the car to boot! Anyway, no crying over spilled milk.

I was just hoping that selling this car wouldn't become more painful than necessary. I will definitely miss it, but I will be happier knowing it has gone to a new owner that can appreciate it as much as I have.

I'm still in the process of convincing myself it is a good decision.
+++
Old 02-26-2007, 01:30 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

If it is in preparation for another 911... fine... if not, keep it.

I have used Autotrader with excellent results. Provide a good description, lots of good photos (after detailing the car please! ). Represent the car well and it should help avoid a potential buyer from finding surprises that could spoil the sale.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:05 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan, one might deconstruct your statement thusly...
* given time & $ contraints, what compels you to do what you like? can you simply refuse to do "too many things" to it?
* who needs nice paint? you can't see the paint job from the driver's seat, and as long as it isn't actively rusting, what's the big deal?
* finally, unless YOU are the shuddering purist, who cares about flaws as perceived by others?
regardless, good luck!
Old 02-26-2007, 01:09 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Consignments are always tricky. A friend consigned his almost new 84 944 in 1985 and the car sold. However, the salesman absconded with the money and the guy he consigned the car to, wnet on to claim bankruptcy a few months later. My friend was out close to $18K. If you do consign, please make sure you know the consignor very well.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:33 PM
951M471 CarreraM491
Advanced

Provide as much information in your ad as you can including asking price and mileage even if they are high...let the potential buyer be informed. This will eliminate a lot of calls that become tiresome. Also if someone does begin to annoy you just let them go, it's not worth the hassel, and since this is not your job you can do anything you want. That does not mean be a D^#@ however .

Be honest with yourself about what your car is worth.

Also if you get calls/emails from someone who has never seen the car, and the person asks you something like: will you take $x? Don't respond, tell them you will only take offers from someone who has seen the vehicle, and is prepared to buy. People that ask that question are not really making you an offer, they are trying to find your "easy sale" price and then once they show up to see the car, they will start point out flaws and want to negotiate further. Don't fall for it.

Selling a car is the biggest PITA and I hate it with a passion. Try to just be patient, especially this time of year.

Since this is a Porsche your selling, be sure to post ads here on Rellnist, and over on Pelican Parts. I have had luck on both.

Good Luck!
Old 02-26-2007, 05:22 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 951M471 CarreraM491
Also if you get calls/emails from someone who has never seen the car, and the person asks you something like: will you take $x? Don't respond, tell them you will only take offers from someone who has seen the vehicle, and is prepared to buy. People that ask that question are not really making you an offer, they are trying to find your "easy sale" price and then once they show up to see the car, they will start point out flaws and want to negotiate further. Don't fall for it.
This is not always true. Most people list cars with the intent of negotiating and everybody knows this. Many people, including myself, especially when the car might be a good distance away (common when looking for 911s), want to know how firm the price is before spending any time or money on it. If someone is planning on flying in, you can bet they aren't going to walk away from it if you've already made a verbal agreement unless something has gone wrong on your end - they're already invested. Of course, you can probably tell the people that are for real - asking for a PPI and such first.

When I've sold, I made it quite clear that the price isn't negotiable and I price it below many others in the same range, who've obviously priced what they hope to get and not what they reasonably expect to get. Though it's only been twice, I have sold both quickly and without having to deal with any BS. It's a trade-off - do you want it sold quickly or do you want top-dollar? As a seller you choose to negotiate or not when you price it.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:37 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

I hate to mention another board here...but the pelican for sale board gets a lot of hits. I recently sold my 944 there a few months ago. Rennlist and Craigslist got some hits as well, but Pelican sold it. (In fact I found my 911 there as well.)

I'd start there before going to Autotrader or Cars.com. You'll get less "scam" emails that way too. (Although I did get one from Rennlist!!!!)

Ebay is like last resort to me. I really don't think I'd want to go through the hassle of selling a car on Ebay.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

The one thing that tends to get complicated when buying a car, especially with long distance sales, is getting the Pre-Purchase Inspection done. Unless one's local it can be a real pain.
So maybe having a PPI done and made available to potential purchasers would help a sale?

-mike
Old 02-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

All great ideas and comments gents. Except that when I bought this car, I would not have given much credit to a PPI that was provided by the seller; sorry, but this is what I expect others would think as well.
I think I'd be more than willing to let them arrange a PPI through the network of referrals and such that can be found on the typical Porsche forums, etc.
Selling a car on ebay is the last option for me. I would rather burn it to the ground or drive it off a cliff than to deal with that BS.
Not to mention the threads that would be started by people looking to criticize the car or the content of the ad. (yes, I do it too!)
I suspect that typical prices in the So Cal area range from $12-17K for a decent car.
obviously more for rare options or premeir condition and low mileage, etc. less for a decent car with limited service history, etc.
+++
Old 02-28-2007, 01:40 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bpoteat
When I've sold, I made it quite clear that the price isn't negotiable and I price it below many others in the same range, who've obviously priced what they hope to get and not what they reasonably expect to get. Though it's only been twice, I have sold both quickly and without having to deal with any BS. It's a trade-off - do you want it sold quickly or do you want top-dollar? As a seller you choose to negotiate or not when you price it.
Bingo. I've done the exact same thing when selling a few of my cars (one being a higher mileage 911). I priced all my vehicles at a non negotiable bottom dollar and sold them literally in hours. I sold my 911 in 15 minutes by pricing it realistically. I agree it's a trade off, but my time is money. Everyone's situation is different though...

Good Luck!

Jay

Quick Reply: Might sell my Carrera, need some advice on how to proceed