Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

headlights not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 05:22 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlights not working

The headlights on my car, 88 carrera stopped working. All the other lights works fine. The signal lights work fine, and when you blip your high beams and hold it, the high beam works. But when you pull the HL switch, nothing happens. I'm thinking the HL switch, but before I spend $160.00 on the switch, I thought I'd get some more input. thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:44 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do the high beams come on at all when you pull the switch out? Or only work when you pull back on the flasher portion of it? I had a very strange occurence a couple of years ago similar to yours. I lost both my low beams at once, just went out. I drove home on brights and fried everyones paint since I had the 80/100's in it. I pulled the bulbs and found that both low beams had burned out. I replaced the bulbs and all was OK.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:11 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

I get nothing when I pull the switch out. The only way I get something is if I pull the lever back and hold it. Once I let it go, nothing works. Haven't thought about checking the bulbs. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks
Old 02-27-2007, 10:46 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turn the key to the on position. Pull out the headlight switch. Then jiggle the high-beam switch. If your low-beams come on, the high-beam switch is bad. It's very common for the high-beam switch to go bad.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:56 AM
madmmac
Instructor

Probably just the contact switches for hi/low. Clean and bend/retension the contacts.

Great detail, with pics.....http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...n+signal+stalk

Quick Reply: headlights not working