Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New (to me) 911T !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 11:27 PM
JSD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New (to me) 911T !!!

I just had a 72 911T dropped off in my drive. Early Christmas present from the wife (for the next five years!). I am really pumped because it is my first 911 and a longnose.
I don't have a owners manual yet so I need to ask some real novice questions:

1) Is it normal to see oil "flowing" and or
bubbling in the oil tank when you go to check the oil level? I understand the oil should be warmed up and checked at idle. When I pulled the cap off, the oil was running left to right (from the rear to the front of the car) like out of an open faucet and then down past a brass screen. Didn't seem to effect oil pressure or the way the car was running.
But it was unexpected and way weird looking.

I won't drive it until this is resolved.

(OK, OK, I admit I drove it around the block - more than once - I couldn't help myself - but the oil pressure seemed just fine. And I promise I won't drive it seriously until I understand what's happening in the oil tank)

2) It has two tiny 12v "Porsche - made by Daniels" batteries on each side of the spare.

Are they impossible to find - or do you have to buy them from Porsche? These seem like they are ready to be replaced because I've had to jump it twice, but I haven't driven the car enough for them to get charged up.
What is the latest setup nowadays - one or two batteries ?

Are there special ($$$) 72 911T batteries ?

3) I'm in the market for some front and rear signal housings. These have a couple of broken sockets. Difficult to find ?
Expensive ?

So, the adventure begins... thanks,

JSD
72 911T
Old 11-15-2001, 02:07 AM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

Congrats on the new acquisition!

Regarding your questions -

1) This is probably normal. As you know, the 911 has a dry-sump oiling system, and the oil is continuously recirculated throught the circuit - sump/cooler/tank - by a scavenge pump and a pressure pump. Quite a good volume is moved by these pumps.

HOWEVER, it does sound weird that you can "see" it in the tank that well. Perhaps the tank is grossly over-filled? How does the dipstick read? What about the dash oil level gauge? I don't remember being able to see down the filler neck that clearly.

2) The dual battery set-up is nice for weight balance, and last time I checked the batteries are still available. I used to get them from my local p-car dealer - the ONLY part I ever got there - for around $60-65 each, every two or three years.

I have since switched to a single Optima sealed spiral-cell battery, on its side in the left side box. These batteries don't leak. Major plus - no battery box corrosion. They crank great, and last longer too. When your dual cells die, I'd go to the single Optima setup.

3) Shouldn't be too hard to find. I think that only the lenses were different (silver border vs. black) from 69-72. The lamp assemblies should be all over the place in the big parts yards - CarQuip, PartsHeaven, PAP, etc. etc. Or, if there are any good p-car junkyards or swap meets near you, try that.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 11-15-2001, 09:32 AM
tyler
Advanced

Hello,
I have a 1972 T for track use only, i would like to have had a S model but the T could be paid for with so little money it was worth it. The oil should flow in the tank, it does it mine, make sure you don't lose the dipstick, no big deal just have to buy another one. You burn your hand too from the hot oil. All part of the 911 experience.

The batteries should be 2, 6-volt if i am correct. I have Interstate, they have the right ones and I can get them anywhere they have a dealer. I can even get you the interstate part number.

The tail light assmeblies new are quite pricey, take the other suggestion and look for used ones....mine don't match as they are chrome and black but i don't care, makes it easier when someone rubs the car...if i had a perfect car I would probably not have as much fun when driving.

Tyler
Old 11-15-2001, 12:18 PM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

Congrats,I wish my wife brought me a 911.I owned a 71 T for 18 yrs,besides the rust taking over it was the most trouble free,reliable car I've ever owned.The batteries in the front are 12 volt and can be brought at the dealer or any after market porsche part suppliers.I strongly recomend joining the Porsche Club,it's worth the $40 dollar membership.You get a great mag every month and a local newsletter,plus the tech support is great.Enjoy your new 911 they're a
blast to drive.
Old 11-15-2001, 04:23 PM
Cornpanzer
AutoX

Thumbs up

WoW! Im jealous. That is exactly what I would like to find in my driveway when I come home tomorrow =) Tell us more about your T. I am looking for an early car and would love to hear your first impressions. Have Fun!
Old 11-16-2001, 11:33 AM
JMiller138
AutoX

I've had my 911T (71) for about 6 yrs now.
It didn't run when I got it but after some new Webers and a paint job it's been a lot of fun. I replaced the drivers seat with a sport seat, which did wonders for the handling feel. Before the seat change I though my stearing gear might be worn, but after, having the seat hold you in place was any amazing difference.

The only issue I have with the car is the wind, road and engine noise. I have been trying various things to reduce the noise so far with limited success. Let me know if you find the noise to be a problem.

If you have any more questions feel free to contact me, chances are I have already been down that road.

Jim
Jim911t@aol.com or James.G.Miller@grace.com
Old 11-16-2001, 07:47 PM
Reg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My T is very loud inside. On teh way home from the shop during my first real drive I noticed just that upon re entering my Toyota and handing the 911 over to my Dad.

The 911 made more noise in front of me than my engine in the MR2 while driving!

It has SSI's and maybe that is part of the reason, plus I think I may be in need of a new muffler...but its a good sound. Much much better than sounds I was experiencing.

Its a great weekend coming up here..can't wait!
Old 11-17-2001, 02:57 AM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

Bruce Anderson says that the early 911's are as much as 10 times "louder" than the late model air-cooled cars (993's). Even moreso compared to the water-pumpers (996).

Ahhh, but it's a glorious noise, of 11-bladed fans, dual cams & chains, gears, 6-throat induction, and tuned equal-length high performance exhaust system. Glorious!

Enjoy!
Old 11-17-2001, 03:48 AM
Turbo Dave
Intermediate

I'm also only a couple months into my first Porsche experience (a 1973 911T). The secret to the noise problem is to get some good sport pipes, get rid of the stereo, keep the rear vent windows open, and make sure you rev the motor. If you are just driving along, trying to listen to music, it might bug you, but get it louder and rip up some back roads, and you'll be looking for more. I'm actually thinking about replacing my muffler (a stainless B&B) with a louder, older twin pipe setup. Great sound, enjoy it!
Old 11-17-2001, 09:04 AM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

1.) The 72 have a seperate oilflap. The dipstick is not loseable or dropable into the tank, but forgetable on the gas station .

Worst thing is that the stick is more then warm.

If the oil splashes up then Level is to low yet some very slight trops can come up anyhow.

2.) like said 2 12 Volt 36 AH batterys as sold in some 30 000 000 Volkswagen as well.

Don´t forget the rubber pole protector and to hook up the vent hose ( if you go for a standard battery )

3.) The units are very expensive as the chrome edge lens is the most expensive lens for Porsche 911´s right now.
Used parts in good condtion are rare as the time seem to eat up the housing yet all 1969-1973 front housings are similar and they can be repaired as well.

To remove the housing you have to press out the rubbersocket in the sidewalls abouve the battery. Most cars reimportet from the us showed someone just cut the wirelooom and used bulb connectors to reatach it.

Grüsse
Old 11-19-2001, 03:07 PM
JSD
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses...(New to me 911T)
One week of ownership has convinced me early cars represent the real essence of 911.
It's light, responsive, has that great howl, especially with the MFI; and, compared to the one C4 I've driven, has a feel more akin to a really powerful 356.... A LOT OF FUN !!

No disrespect to the newer 911's, 993 (a terrific design) and the 996, guys, but the
early car is really a different approach to
sports car design. Certainly not technically as sophisticated or as easy to drive in LA -
but, for me, a lot more fun!
(And it's only a T!)
Old 11-20-2001, 08:52 AM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

Just imagen the same car with twice ***** and more roaring engine and you have a 2,7 RS. Driving in his purest form - 911%

Grüsse
Old 11-20-2001, 02:29 PM
JSD
Intermediate

Thumbs up

I am, Roland, believe me I am. And plans are underway to make the transition to a replica RS in the next year or two.

I'll be badgering the experts on the proper
way to get there.

JSD
Old 11-21-2001, 07:37 PM
Matt Smith
Cruisin'

Great news, excellent car.
The oil circulation happens in mine too, and I strongly suspect all 72's. Remember, this was a unique model year with the oil tank tucked (expensively) up under the rear guard, and like Roland says, the dipstick setup is different too.
Please stay with the twin batteries. It's part of what makes the car special, and the Porsche engineers went to great lengths to make it just so. Batteries themselves are nothing unique to find either, so no excuses!!
Although obviously biased, I think the '72 T/E is a great all round car. Think of what you are getting: a genuine MFI car with all the good things that go with this set up; a decent forged crank and 'modern' 915 gearbox, probably an 'S' pack appearance group (decent guages, trim, possibly swaybars and rare-ish deep dish 6x15 fuches amoungst others), a healthy dose of power for most driving applications; plenty of torque and still hair raising rev ability- especially with a sports exhaust system...and lots of potential to upgrade if you wish. Probably not as thrashed as an S either.
All this for a decent price. It's every inch a 911, looks beautiful in the ultimate development of the longnose shape- especially with S spoiler, is lighter than an E, and I suspect prime examples will follow the rise in similar S models if not already- although obviously at a lower level. These T/E's are by far the most numerous of the models sold in this period, which makes them less rare. But another way to think about it is that there must have been a damn good reason for so many people to make that purchasing decision in the first hand. Go figure.
But a 2.7 RS? well, that's another story altogether!
Old 11-21-2001, 09:34 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Certainly not technically as sophisticated or as easy to drive in LA - but, for me, a lot more fun! (And it's only a T!)

Hey, with a few mods, a humble little T can be a real giant killer.

Louder? Huh? What'd you say? I still set off car alarms on a very regular basis.

Quick Reply: New (to me) 911T !!!