Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Three day track event prep.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 10:38 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool Three day track event prep.

I am trying to get ready for a 7 hour ride (each way)and a three day DE event at Mosport. I have only had my car for a couple of months so I am a little uneasy about reliability.

I am going to have an excellant porsche shop allign the car and fix a cracked rear sway bar bracket, and check it out with a fine tooth comb.

A trailer extra wheels and such are not going to happen right away. I will be using 80% new street tires. Outside of unanticipated major failure what items should I concentrate on, or bring extras of to make the most of the event and make it home.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:59 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Alan,

I'm glad to see that you had a good time at our Sept 19th DE. I would bring the following:

1-2 cans of ATE Type 200 brake fluid
1 set of front track brake pads
1 brake bleeding tool (pressure type works the best)
assorted metric tools
Fan belt
Torque wrench
The usual DE things like helmet, extra warm clothes if you are flagging.

You could probably find someone to loan you a jack if you needed it.

If you have a problem that you can't fix with the above...well...
Old 09-27-2002, 11:03 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alan,

Don't worry, your car was designed to drive at the redline for 24 hours.

After a good inspection, all you will need is about a half case of oil, spare set of brakes and the tools and jack you would need to change them. Dont forget the flaslight so you can check them.

Last year my wife and I drove to Carolina Motorsports Park from Atlanta, 4 1/2 hours. It was a small group, so between us we put 12 hours of track time on the car over two days. Then drove home without a hitch. The next day I drove it to work.

We had street tires, SO3's, so they lasted just fine.

The car loves to be driven. But it seems like every time I let her sit for more than a week something breaks.
Old 09-27-2002, 11:31 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
With the above advice, you're set.

If you should need to jack up the car, be very careful if you're not using the standard factory supplied jack (which fits into the jack hole).

Using a floor jack on a Porsche can cause damage if not properly placed. Make sure that you have someone who is knowledgeable show you the correct jacking points or you could do body damage, or crush an oil line (please don't ask me how I know this). Also, make sure to use jack stands (which you should be able to borrow from someone), before putting any part of your body under the car.

Of course, bring as many spare parts as you can. If you've had a recent tune-up and the old distrib. cap and rotor are in good shape, save 'em and bring those with you. Also, bring glass cleaner and paper towels, a tire pressure gauge (check your tire pressure after each run) and your assorted tools and some clean cotton towels and a couple (if there's two of you) of those canvas chairs that fold into a little carry sack.

If you don't have vinyl or magnetic numerals, bring some white liquid shoe polish to write your assigned number on the windscreen and side quarter windows.

Have fun! :-)

Richard
'87 Carrera-3.6L
Old 09-28-2002, 11:15 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Thanks for all the advise so far. It looks like I am also in CVR two day at Pocono at the end of the month. For you two local dudes, I am taking my car down to Advanced Auto so they should be able to give me a good heads up.

Alan
Old 09-29-2002, 11:33 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Alan,

I know this is obvious, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. You will want to check your oil after each session to make sure it is ok. I'd run the level halfway between the min and max marks on the dipstick. It is not unusual for a 911 to use 1 quart of oil on a track day, so bring enough.

Also, you may find Mosport and Pocono harder on the brakes than Lime Rock was, so you'll probably want to start with at least a fresh set of front brake pads and you'll want to make sure your brakes are fully bled before you start. You may find that if you use your brakes a lot, which many Green run group students do, you may have to bleed them between the days at the track, and certainly between the two events. If you need a hand, you are more than welcome to stop over.

I had planned to do Pocono with CVR, but I damaged something during our event at Lime Rock, so it will have to wait until next year.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:49 PM
gerry100
Pro

Adding to what MarkM posted-

My car actually runs better after a few good workouts at a DE event. It's like it went "home" for a vacation.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:01 PM
Bob D..
Instructor

Allan:
I agree with most of the recommendations, but i wouldn't bother bringing a jack or jack stands all the way to Mosport. There will be any number of us locals who will be happy to lend you that sort of stuff. Ditto for a torque wrench.
The single most important thing to bring to a weekend at Mosport is a windsheild banner (you know, the things that take up the top 3" of the windshield on every hotted-up Honda) that says, on the inside, "Don't EVER lift in corner one"
Several people this year proved that such a reminder is a really good idea.
Looking forward to seeing you at the track
Bob Donally
'84 Carrera, #295
Old 10-01-2002, 08:27 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Thanks everyone.

Bob, thanks for the jack offer. Depending on what I decide to do about tires it will be a pretty jammed up ride, so any thing that I can borrow leaves me a little elbow room and simplifies the planning.

Ill look you up up there!

Alan
Old 10-02-2002, 12:39 PM
John Brandt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gas up in the States and bring rear pads too. There's nowhere near Bowmanville to buy them. (ask me how I know this)

Also stop in at the Duty Free on your way there, because Buying beer in Ontario is as big a pain in the butt as doing your taxes here.

Mosport is the coolest track this side of the Nurburgring, but like the 'Ring, you don;t want to be without raingear

You'll love it!
PS: DO NOT TAKE THE QEW THROUGH TORONTO; The traffic is like Bangkok. take the outerbelt instead
Old 10-02-2002, 08:24 PM
Bob D..
Instructor

Actually there are only certain areas that are like Bangkok. We also have Bombay, Karachi, Leninigrad, Warsaw, central London, Paris, and Mexico City.
Take the QEW as far as 427, then go north a ways to 401, then west. Or pick up the toll road (407) to really miss traffic, but a full length ride will be about $20.
It all depends on timing.
Bob
Old 10-04-2002, 12:03 PM
gerry100
Pro

Regarding the 407-

If you 've got American tags you can get a ride on the 407 for free as long as you only do it once or twice. If you hang around town for a few days and make a few trips, you will get a bill.

I haven't done this for a year or so - usaully when I'm making sales calls in Toronto the 401/403/QEW work fine- crowded but fast moving.
During rush hours - forget it.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:09 PM
gerry100
Pro

Alan-

I'm not sure where Stanfordville is, but if you are coming from Syracuse or east you'll probably want to take I81 across the border and then 401east to Bowmanville avoiding Toronto entirely.

From that side, there is little traffic and average speed is high.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:15 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Yup Yup,

I will be cutting across 12 to 81 and back west along the north side of the lake. Its good to know that the road moves along cause it could be a pretty long ride. I'm a little bummed, I haven't gotten confirmation from the NE registrar yet. I spent almost 2K on the car took, the time off from work, got a motel reservation, and maybe all for naught.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:40 PM
Bob D..
Instructor

I doubt that you have a problem as far as the event beiong full - there are posts indicating there are still spaces on the UCR website.

Quick Reply: Three day track event prep.