Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

First post: Advice on my first purchase please

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 09:42 AM
'Hoo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post: Advice on my first purchase please

I've been enjoying the Forums for a couple of years and been a member of rennlist for a few months, but this is my first post.

Been a Porsche fan for as long as I can remember- one of my earliest memories is being driven to pre-school in my dad's 356.

I've been passively monitoring the typical online and newspaper sales channels for a couple of years and was still thinking that I'm a couple of years out from my first purchase, but I came across the following last night:

'99 911 C2 with 42K miles for $30,500. Current owner is a long time PCA member and is selling due to a move overseas. Carfax is clean but indicates this is the 3rd owner and has only had the car for 8 months. It appears to have been used as a daily driver for that 8 months with about 9K miles in that time.

To me, the price seems low relative to others offered on the web but consistent with KBB private party, excellent condition ($30,750).

What do you think of the price? If the current PCA owner has a fully documented PPI from 8 months ago do I need another one? Does PCA membership translate into trustworthiness? Does anyone know of a good indy for a PPI near Manassas or Centreville, VA? What's a reasonable price for a thorough PPI?

Sorry for all the questions- Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get another PPI from a reputable shop with no prior kowledge of the car. I have heard of a PPI costing from $250 to $500.

How set on a 996 are you? Have you looked at 993s?

Hope it all works out,

Paul.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:03 AM
'Hoo
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice and price range Paul. I've been weighing the "bullet proof" qualities of the air cooled 993 to the "buy the newest Porsche you can afford" mantra, which would point me more toward a 996. I could be swayed either way..

Thanks again,

Erik
Old 02-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Erik,

Have you driven both? Seems like the 993 is a better option to me. There were issues however- do a search here and on the Pelican board and you'll find your answers.

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:29 AM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Kennington
Erik,

Have you driven both? Seems like the 993 is a better option to me. There were issues however- do a search here and on the Pelican board and you'll find your answers.

Cheers,

Paul.
Erik
I echo Paul, and would carry it farther. Get out and drive them, drive anything you can....if that doesnt work for you, focus on what you love about a particular model/series. Its a lot of money in any sense to spend on something you're looking at, and to do so in a pragmatic sense only seems to be a path towards unhappy ownership. Remember the ride to school in the 356, and go from there. And the PPI is always worth the money.
Good luck (sorry sometimes my 0.02 turns into a 1.00)
Old 02-10-2007, 11:32 AM
BReyes
Racer

Drive the different cars before choosing one over another.

PPI should make your decision easier. 911s require specialized maintenance that is expensive (very well worth it).

Make sure you are ready and watch out for that slippery slope.

Regards,
Old 02-10-2007, 12:14 PM
peteweishaupt
Intermediate

I'm in northern va. you can check out http://www.autobahnserviceinc.com/ Jose has serviced my 88 targa since new (i bought it last feb so haven't actually used him yet, but a good place to start for your ppi) i also would go air cooled vs. anything newer.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:31 PM
oceanvue
Instructor

Pleeeeez, lifes too short. Pull the trigger on a nice SC or Carrera and get on with it. Forget the water coolers. Get an older one clean up the old crud on it, drive it , play with it and have fun. This is the 911 board we play hard and party hard. 996's are for the "I like knowing the power is there in case I ever need it" crowd. Most the people on this board would either break a 996 or start pulling worthless junk off of it so they could rough house with it.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:51 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oceanvue
Pleeeeez, lifes too short. Pull the trigger on a nice SC or Carrera and get on with it. Forget the water coolers. Get an older one clean up the old crud on it, drive it , play with it and have fun. This is the 911 board we play hard and party hard. 996's are for the "I like knowing the power is there in case I ever need it" crowd. Most the people on this board would either break a 996 or start pulling worthless junk off of it so they could rough house with it.
Is this the standard "All air cooled owners are hardcore enthusiasts and all water cooled owners are poseurs" argument?
Old 02-10-2007, 01:10 PM
oceanvue
Instructor

Yup, pretty much. The standard air-cooled 911 board argument. Perspectives are likely to waiver from baord to board.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Erik: I humbly suggest that you purchase a copy of the 8th edition of my book (my Avatar), and read it cover to cover before starting your search. There have been so many different 911 models produced thru-out the years that with some history in front of you you might discover that a '71 S, or an '83 SC, or an '89 Carrera (3.2L), or a 993 TT, or a... might be a better car for you than a 996, and maybe not!
Pete
Old 02-10-2007, 02:15 PM
'Hoo
Rennlist Member

Thanks to everyone for the advice- I think I will take a step back and do more research and read Pete's book.

I ran over to test drive the '99 C2 and found that the owner is a real enthusiast, drives it fast and has tracked it a few times, which means I would definitely need a thorough PPI (if I decide that a 996 is the way to go)

Thanks again!

Erik
Old 02-10-2007, 02:16 PM
peteweishaupt
Intermediate

I used the Zimmerman book myself when I got a '88 3.2 targa last Feb. I wish I'd had the patience to wait for a coupe though.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Really look at and drive both cars... I could simply could not bring my self to buy a 996... and believe when I say that I went to the dealer several times, first when they came out, then a year later, then the year after that... driving new and used cars. The amount of plastic, feel (or lack of driver's feel), knowing the engine had no links to the race cars, disposable transmissions and engines, rma issues that needed new engines, etc... just could not do it.

My suggestion is to go with a 993. But if you are set on a 996 then I suggest you go for a 2002 or newer car. The changes to the interior, body mods, headlights, engine upgrade makes a lot of difference in the way the car feels and drives. I almost got into one. Good thing I waited...

For me the only 996 that I was willing to buy was a GT3, GT2, or TT... all way, way out of my financial reach when new. Now you can find a good TT for half (or less) of their cost when new.

Happy shopping!
Old 02-10-2007, 02:51 PM
RacingBeat
Instructor

cannot overstate pete's book......read it twice

Quick Reply: First post: Advice on my first purchase please