Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Played a bit rough today..915 ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 03:06 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that OV. I find it amazing that PZ diagnosed it right off the bat. Well, maybe I shouldn't be amazed given his years of experience. Anyway, it will be as good as new soon. Hang in there.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:06 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

Ah man that sucks .. even though we kinda new what was coming it is still tough to read. If you are gonna do it again have you considered doing it yourself? from what I have read first and second is doable by the home mechanic. Not that I have done it mind you but from what I have read and discussed with others it is more intimidation than difficult.

Good luck and don't forget to get the busted pieces back ... when you post the pics here of the busted pieces it may serve as a harsh reminders to others ( including me ) to always respect the limitations of the vehicle and what it looks like when you don't

best of luck and thanks for sharing your tale ( many wouldn't )
Old 02-09-2007, 06:03 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm...maybe a good time to do an upgrade of some sort while the tranny is out? Perhaps add a LSD unit? You feel bad enough about the mistake...now buy yourself a present!
Old 02-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Drew: What a great attitude!

James: Thank you, but it's all exposure. I can't tell you how many times I arrived at the shop on a Monday morning, only to find an unscheduled car sitting in my parking lot. Hmmmm, blown airbox? Alternator died? Valet parking attendant blew the clutch or a synchro? Fuel pump died? DME relay failed? I usually knew the car/owner, so I tried to guess the problem before I listened to the phone messages that had collected over the weekend. All too often we found a car with valet damage, or a moment of owner hyper-enthusiasm (sorry, Ocean!) that is soooo tempting, and sooooo much fun, until you miss that next gear! When you think about it, there aren't that many things that will go wrong with our amazing machines that require a weekend tow to the shop. My hat's off to Ocean for his honesty in telling the story, which always helps with the diagnosis.
Pete
Old 02-09-2007, 07:01 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so, my take-away is that most valets are Irish.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:10 PM
oceanvue
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was sort of an excercise in self improvement. The real test is whether I fess up if i do it again.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:17 PM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oz, now you can spend the moolah on the gated shifter and not worry about it! If it makes you feel better, at least you didnt wrap your enzo around a telephone pole.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:51 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

sell your 911 and buy a Cobra or last gen SS camaro, they don't launch so well, but will take no-lift shifts like no tomorrow, plus the clutches are easier and cheaper to replace

Come on, I'm sure some of you have some great gearbox or BOOM stories.........

I destroyed the gearbox in my old bug, it had a 2275 putting out a stout 200HP (in a 1500lb car), I decided to embarass a kid in his Z06 at a light who wanted to race by dumping the clutch at 3K when the light changed, (with racemaster slicks) ate him out of the hole real bad, no lifted into second, felt the wheels pop up and then it sounded like metal in a garbage disposal and my engine bounced of the MSD's rev limiter. I tore the box out and apart (It was still a stock VW box) and found I snapped the gear selector slider along with the bits of it that went around the gears, I still have it in my workshop collection with various bananna shaped con-rods, broken pistons and bent valves (all from VW's strange enough)
Old 02-11-2007, 01:16 AM
oceanvue
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been irresponsibly busting up Porsches for more than 30 years I think I'm [___] this close to being cured. I'd hate to jump ship after pouring so much $$ into my education and/or therapy

Quick Reply: Played a bit rough today..915 ??'s