Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Has anybody replaced their front suspension pan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 11:56 PM
SC4DnP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody replaced their front suspension pan?

Just started the upgrade to turbo tie-rods and Elephant Racings Polybronz bearings and noticed what looked like a split in the undercoating. Upon further inspection I found I could stick the blade of my pocket knife through it.

Sooo, looks like it's time to replace the pan. I have a front clip from another car and figure I can cut out the part I need and weld it into my car. I think with a lot of measuring and double checking I can do this.

Also, has anybody else heard not to use a plasma cutter for this "procedure?"

Thanks,
Old 01-31-2007, 02:19 AM
Early911
Intermediate

You can buy new pans relatively inexpensively at http://www.restoration-design.com/. My guess is that there are other suppliers, Pelican is out of stock because of production issues.

-Mark
Old 01-31-2007, 02:29 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Pelican gets their's from RD. I heard the guy at RD is not always good at returning phone calls and getting orders back to you. I think this is why Pelican doesn't deal with them anymore.

Doug, Automotion.com has that pan. But why do you have to replace the whole pan. Did your knife going through it mean the whole thing is rusted thru? If not, maybe you can just weld a sheet metal patch in there, and then protect it with spray on undercoating? Doug with a welder. That's cool!
Old 01-31-2007, 08:47 PM
SC4DnP
Instructor

Thanks Guys.

Hi James, It's funny you should mention "me with a welder." As I looked further into doing this I thought what I really need is a good surgeon! James would be perfect for this! It looks like there is to much rust damage to try a "patch." Besides, the thought of diving into turn 1 at warp speed with a rotten front end is a little scary. By the way, Nice work on your project!!! I'm very impressed! I can't wait to hear it run. I'll be curious to see what you think after it's done. Take care, Doug
Old 01-31-2007, 09:11 PM
lally911
Advanced

The guy at restoration design stalled my pan replacement by two months. Never answered the phone, never called back. Finally gave up and bought elsewhere. Try Stoddards.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:27 PM
SC4DnP
Instructor

Thanks Keith. Good to know.

So did you do the repair yourself?
Old 01-31-2007, 09:43 PM
surfdwn
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am in the mniddle of replacing a pan on a '70. I also have replaced the pan on an '86. The job is not a hard one, but very time consuming. In both cases. the tank support was in good shape, so I left it, which made alignment easier.I just cut the old pan out and chisled/ground the remainder off. Very messy!

I can guarantee that if you have a bad "spot" in tht location you described, you will be shocked how bad it is when you pull the pan. My '86 had a similar spot, and I found out that I only had undercoating between the suspension mounts, no decent metal!

Learn to plug weld to install it back and use POR to curb future rust.

My '70 is in the finishing stages now. Good luck!

David Nolen
Old 01-31-2007, 10:36 PM
SC4DnP
Instructor

Thanks David. That's encouraging. It seems straight forward but the thought of cutting up my car is a bit unsetteling. What did you use to cut the pan out? Any thoughts on using a plasma cutter for the job? You going to be anywhere near Oregon in the next couple of days???

Thanks Again,
Doug
Old 01-31-2007, 11:09 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Doug,

I had the pan and tank support replaced on my 67'. Removal was accomplished with a combination of my right foot and die grinder. You can be pretty surgical with a die grinder, it leaves a clean edge to weld the new one to. This job is pretty straight forward, but unless you're skilled with a mig welder, have somebody do it for you.

"the thought of diving into turn 1 at warp speed with a rotten front end is a little scary."

Just as scary doing it with an improperly installed one as well :-|

Good luck and Brgds, Peter
Old 01-31-2007, 11:20 PM
lally911
Advanced

Thanks Keith. Good to know.
So did you do the repair yourself?
Yup. I had little experience with body work or welding but learned a good deal along the way, mainly that next time I'd pay someone to do it. :-) I'd recommend talking to Steve Weiner at Rennsport in Portland and get a recommendation for a shop to do it. Its not a fun job and without a lift, compressor, air tools (cutting wheel, angle grinder), and welding skills it will be difficult and time consuming. A friend recently had a new pan put in for about $1500 just for reference.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:19 PM
surfdwn
Advanced

I cut the old pan out with a cutoff wheel Used about ten of them) and then used a die grinder to get the edges clean. I puposefully bought the '70 so that I can get skilled with a MIG welder. The early welds required lots of grinding, but the later ones were a thing of beauty. I opted for plug welding wherever possible. I'm very happy with the results.

David Nolen
Old 02-01-2007, 11:25 PM
surfdwn
Advanced

The guys in my maintenance department at work are split on using plasma cutters for this type of sheet metal or cutoff wheels. I personally have not used a plasma cutter.

I'm in Mississippi, so Oregon may be a bit of a stretch for a weekend. Sounds to me like you've got it under control. I found several postings on this site and on the Pelican site which helped me decide how to attack this one. It had been poorly repaired before and was a mess!

David Nolen
Old 02-02-2007, 12:20 AM
SC4DnP
Instructor

OK, I guess a road trips out of the question. Thanks for the advice. Did you reundercoat everything?
Any problems getting it all squared up?

Cheers,
Doug

Quick Reply: Has anybody replaced their front suspension pan?