Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Who I am...what car is for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 09:01 PM
visible23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who I am...what car is for me?

I have poured over these boards enjoying the knowledge, personalities and opnions immensely. I find myself bouncing from being drawn from one car to another without really understanding what I would most like from one of these wonderful cars. Here is where I throw myself on the vast expertise of the crew here...

This is what I think I want which will be followed by what kind of person I am (as honestly as I can report it). With the two combined maybe y'all out there would be so kind as to offer you opinions about which car would be for me. Here goes nuthin'.

The car I think I want...something fun to drive first and foremost (duh)...things that I like include...driving under 90mph, street-use, I find off-the-line acceleration much less important than 30-60 or 50-80, a throaty engine note, nimble handling (even a little twitchy)...I don't care about leather seats, power anything, a/c, etc...I like the idea of upgrades both mechanical and cosmetic but in reality I'd most likely keep the car stock or as I got it. I'd be using the car as a 3-season, semi-daily driver. I want a coupe.

This is who I am...I like the idea of being handy more than I am actually able to pull DYI projects off well. That said I am interested in being able to do little things to help with the car's upkeep. I am good at keeping up with routine maintenance but am not a clean-centric car-owner so the car won't be getting waxed and buffed weekly. I have a couple of very good Porsche mechanics near enough to me to be convenient so big work will be done easily and not by me. I will be parking the car outside.

Hmmmmmmm...anything else? I want to stay under $25K. I'd like a nice car but not one so nice that I won't drive it. I want it to work when I fire it up. The fewer surprises the better.

If you're still with me I appreciate it. Anyone who'd like to share his/her expert opinion with me would be happily welcomed to.

Thanks in advance.

M
Old 01-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The three cars I have enjoyed most are my Euro 911 SC, my BMW 633CSI with built engine and close ratio gear box, and my 944 turbo, pretty much in that order.

I think you would like an 87 - 89 911 or a 96 - 99 BMW M3. The M3 is probably the most user friendly performance car ever made, and will always make you feel like a better driver than you are.

A mildly set up 911 has a real race car on the street feel, is almost indestructable, and will grow with you as a driver. A 911 rewards you for driving well, and provides sounds and sensations that make you feel like a kid discovering a new toy, but a toy that must be respected. Newer ones shift better & drive nicer, older ones feel more mechanical and old school serious car.

Those two cars or a 2.7 boxter are the cars I would recommend, but you want a coupe, so the 2.7 is out. These are all solid, reliable cars, if you buy a good one. A 944 turbo is a seriously fast car 60 and beyond, but you need a good one, and a good mechanic. They feel a little slow until you open them up, and then, watch out ! Good balance, great brakes, and a refridgerator like AC unit. A little more problematic than a 911 I think, and a different feel. A good one is a great car though.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:17 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

That is still such a broad question. You will need a well sorted car if you are going to drive it almost daily. That will mean you need to have the extra cash on hand for the expensive repairs you will have.
The thought of having to keep my Porsche outside would drive me nuts...how are you going to do it?

I never had to decide what I wanted....I knew what it was exactly before I was old enough to drive. Good luck in your search...thats half the fun.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

911sc or 3.2 ...done....

I know because that is the guy I m too .. and I have a sc ..
Old 01-26-2007, 10:31 PM
DARISC
Racer

Me too - bulletproof 82 Euro SC daily driver.

Last edited by DARISC; 10-04-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Pretty Funny Darisc. :-) ..thanks for blowing up your Avatar 50%.

you could have at least used a different pic ..
Old 01-26-2007, 10:57 PM
oceanvue
Instructor

Ditto..SC or Carrera. I recently got a '86 Coupe. I freakin' love this car. You can get a really cool one for $15k
Old 01-27-2007, 12:05 AM
DARISC
Racer

Last edited by DARISC; 10-04-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:53 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,779 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Have you test driven any lately? I find it a great deal of fun to go to the dealer and start test driving anything from an SC to a 996 or Boxster. After your test drives, you'll have a clear idea of what you want.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:51 AM
visible23
Instructor

I am slowly driving as many different incarnations of the 911 I can get my hands on...well, I mean, it's taking some time...errr...anyway.

I own a 993 which is great but I am looking for a more involving, less refined experience. Plus the 993 feels a little too "nice" to me in the sense that I worry about it more than I want to. Today I'm driving an old-timer, a 71 T coupe, which appeals to me from a driving standpoint but I fear not from an upkeep/maintenance one.

Thanks for the advice. What drew me into this initially was a drive in a friends BMW 2002 tii which was a hoot. To be as succinct as I can be I'm looking for a balance between that older-car driving feel with some newer car reliability.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Well, I would consider the 3.2 Carrera. I daily-drive my 3.2. There is really not that much maintenance on it. It has the old-school feel in the steering, but the hydro clutch and G-50 transmission make it easier to drive, along with the power seats, power windows, etc. I do like the digital fuel injection as opposed to carbs for daily driving - you just don't have to mess with it. As long as you keep a spare DME relay ($30), this car should start and run every time. The only downside on this car is the ventilation controls, IMO.

A stock Carrera is pretty fast, definitely fun, and you should be able to get a 3.2 for around $20k. That extra $5k can be used for maintenance over the years.

P.S., I bought my 3.2 with a rebuilt top-end (valve guides). This way, I didn't have to budget for a possible engine rebuild down the road...
Old 01-27-2007, 11:28 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Besides the extra power of the 3.2 , I think the biggest differencienter for you at first glance will be the transmission feel. Murph has a G-50 ( although I am not sure if all 3.2s came with a g-50 ) my SC has a 915. I think that will be the deciding factor for you . the 915 is certainly " less refined" but can be a blast to drive.

Good luck and give us an update after a few test drives..
Old 01-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
...I am not sure if all 3.2s came with a g-50...
Porsche switched to the G-50 in 1987, so all 1984-1986 Carreras have the 915. The 915 is great, but it takes more skill to drive, and some people will find it easier (less brain work) to drive the G-50.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't driven a 2002 for about a million years ... Maybe you would like an SC euro with SSIs and a sport exhaust. Very rorty. The shift is the deciding factor for a lot of people.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:05 PM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First Porsche I ever owned was a 1984 928S...black on tan...5spd....I would go outside, this is well after I purchased her....turn her over and listen to that 8 burble...then I had my first belt change....I still love the 928, but it is a love-your-mechanic proposition at best if youre not in possesion of a serious set of tools and know-how.
2 951s..86/89...I loved both these cars, except for the sunroof...loved having it out, hated the hastle of same....absolutely the best bang for the buck if you want come-to-jesus speed...(IMHO)
1981 911SC...owned and drove it in AZ..was a salvage titled car...very little in the way of records, sketchy maint history...best damn low maint. daily driver that I have owned...(fagedabout the AC, better to bring a bag of ice and enjoy wind blowing over same)...also the most fun I think available to anyone who loves the visceral aspect of driving but doesnt like the company of cops on the side of the road...something about the way the fenders and the hood flow...the engine barking at you from behind...working the gear box like its the Nurburging and youre only going to the grocery store...Ive only driven my new (2me) 87 Carrera from Orlando to Houston, and Im going to have it back in my sweaty hands after a full tune up and a SW Chip installed...and then Im driving up to Vancouver...I can hardly stand the wait....Honestly, I think half the fun is grunting and squeaking over all the possible cars that might end up in the driveway...what ever you decide Im sure you'll enjoy the ride....
Good luck!
Frank

Quick Reply: Who I am...what car is for me?