Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Steve Wong Chip (more praise)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Chris57
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. Is there any truth in your opinion that a 3.2 carrera that passed emissions to be sold in california may reach 3-7 degrees less maximum advance than cars built for other countries. If that is true would it be safe to say that 3-7 degrees more advance could give you more power safely. I understand that if more timing is applied that other criteria fuel used etc, must be in order. One other question for you is a typical 3.2l porsche with sport muffler and cat bypass pops on decel. Most people I have talked to (myself included) believe this to be lean condition. Is this true or not? With the installation of steves chip that decel pop went away. Thanks for the info and expertise.-Chris
Old 01-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Is there any truth in your opinion that a 3.2 carrera that passed emissions to be sold in california may reach 3-7 degrees less maximum advance than cars built for other countries."

No, the DME was NOT programmed with less timing. Sounds like some more hyperbole from a chip
supplier. The DME ECM has a jumper which retards the timing, but in most/all cases this jumper is not connected. It was provided as a field mod for emissions.

"I understand that if more timing is applied that other criteria fuel used etc, must be in order"

Advancing the timing does not require mods to the fuel maps. Some more hyperbole,
a test of three chip suppliers indicated that none modified the fuel maps.

"One other question for you is a typical 3.2l porsche with sport muffler and cat bypass pops on decel."

What happens at decel is NOT a true indication of fuel mixture since the DME ECM shuts
the injectors off during decel until the RPMs reach about 1200 to 1300 RPMs.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:49 PM
MarkSchu
Instructor

I am another satisfied customer of Wong chips. My 3.2 was dynoed at 227 at the rear wheels with wong chip and B&B headers. (no cat) I think the original carrera at US height and 215 fwhp is NOT much fun to drive. Lowered and chipped it is a completely different car.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"I think the original carrera at US height and 215 fwhp is NOT much fun to drive."

Here we go, comparing FWHP to RWHP and assuming a chip and NOT the headers as being key?
Old 01-23-2007, 01:10 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Loren gets his jollies bashing Steve Wong's chips and provoking folks both here and on Pelican. I know...I was one of the first to argue with him on this matter several years ago when he flatly stated that we were all imagining the improvements, and I quote Loren here: "Chips suck, case closed"! He's got his opinion, and isn't going to change his (or anyone else's mind), but search for lot's of entertaining reading ! There are many happy 911 owners with Steve Wong's chips, including endorsements from many REPUTABLE 911 gurus (i.e. Dave @ TRE, Steve Weiner, etc.), but alas...we are all idiots...where's my pointed hat

Keith
'88 CE coupe (Steve Wong chipped...and ready to blow up any day now )
Old 01-23-2007, 03:02 PM
ivath
AutoX

I bought a SW chip for my Carrera with 930/25 engine for one year ago. I immediately felt the engine was more reponsive, it felt better adjusted. But later on in the summer when it was very hot weather I suddenly clearly could hear pinging/detonation when loading the engine in fifth gear. My chip was optimized for 95 octane, but after that I always fill up with 98 octane(I live in Europe). I guess this give me the necessary safety margin.
I know my engine is burning some oil due to worn valve guides, I guess this has something to do with the problem. But I'm not the only one with a 911 that use a little bit too much oil......so be aware.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:34 PM
rscredon
Instructor

Interesting opinions on both sides. Can someone out there give us a product review after say a minimum of three years? Has anyone had the engine damage described?
Old 01-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Sure. I installed my Steve Wong chip on July 2, 2003, at 68,357 miles, 3.5 years and 13,939 miles later and I'm still completely satisfied with it. My experience has been the same as everyone else's: better throttle response, better midrange torque, eliminated the "Carrera Lag", etc. The car is much more enjoyable to drive on the street and highway. I've driven it for 3 summers in 100+ weather with the A/C on and have never experienced any knocking or pinging.

BTW Keith is right on with his comments above. Here are some other relevant facts:

Loren provides "test results" for three chips, labeled A B and C, on his web site. He won't identify who the manufacturers are, but he clearly implies that one of them is Steve Wong. He throws what he hopes is damaging data out there but won't be honest about who the chip manufacturers are. Without the manufacturer’s names, his “test” is worthless.

Over a year ago, Loren was challenged (by me) to provide evidence of any engine ever being damaged by a Steve Wong chip, with the promise of a $100 donation to the charity of his choice if he could do so. So far the challenge stands unanswered.

In the thread that he cites above, about cheap e-Bay chips, he resorts to quoting a third-party anecdote about a $50 chip in a Pontiac to support his position. How lame is that?

HUNDREDS of 911 owners have expressed their satisfaction with Steve Wong's chips, reporting improved mid-range torque, improved throttle response, generally better drivability, and ZERO problems. Nearly everyone reports that the "Carrera Lag" is gone, and nearly everyone seems satisfied, if not delighted, with their purchase. Yet we're told that "it's all in your heads" and that the real-world experience of hundreds of people is meaningless. O-kayyyy...
Old 01-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hang on there is a fuel quality setting, 8 of them on the DME controller that will take away 2-3 degrees of advance and also adjust mixture......I would assume some Calif cars had this adjusted I think it is called a "FQS"

Read about it here

http://www.911chips.com/fuelsys.html
Old 01-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Diamond Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 88 has had a chip in in since at least 1992. The PO, a good friend and the second owner of my car. When I bought it I ordered a SteveW chip, went to install it and there was an Autothority chip. The PO new nothing about the chip being in the car. The first owner of the car had the chip installed sometime between 1988 and 1992 when the car was purchased with 42,000 miles on it. Last year I did a rebuild due to the 2 broken head studs. Everything looked great and measured as such during the rebuild. The heads were redone and did not need new valves, which I was expecting have to replace. I did way more during the rebuild than what we have time for here, but everything spec'd out on everything that was measured.
So we are looking at a car that has 92,000 miles and has not blown up due to being chipped. the car has been maintained very well and I have driven the car extremely hard on hot 90+ degree days. No pinging or damage. Proven by actually seeing the engine apart and by measurements.

On the thread that was given as an example of damage from a chip there are too many variables as to what could have caused the malfunction to specifically say the chip was the reason. And no way to prove one exact thing that caused it.
Again Porsche used more aggressive chip at the end of the Carrera's run (88-89) which ended with 58 on the part number. So even Porsche knew there was more to had from the Carrera engine then what they started with. The dyno's prove that there is a gain to be had. Varies with each car just as the cars varied in how strong they were from the factory, some were just better from the beginning. And all this rhetoric from Loren about how bad chips are, especially since he has sold his own chip through repair shops.

Doing a search on this yields many hours of great reading and more great reviews of the SteveW chip.

Last edited by Diamond Blue; 01-23-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

[QUOTE=Diamond Blue]And all this rhetoric from Loren about how bad chips are, especially since he has sold his own chip through repair shops./QUOTE]

You know, I've heard that from several sources but deleted it from my post because I couldn't prove it. If that's true, it's the height of hypocracy.

The really funny thing is Steve should be sending a commission check to Loren, because every time Loren starts this crap, Steve sells more chips!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:24 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rscredon
Interesting opinions on both sides. Can someone out there give us a product review after say a minimum of three years? Has anyone had the engine damage described?
I don't have my records in front of me, and for some reason, I can't search Rennlist back that far (around the time Loren surfaced here, and later on Pelican), but I think I've had mine since summer of '03 also. No problems after many (s)miles !

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 01-24-2007, 11:46 AM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Loren
I understand that you yourself sell chips as well. Is this correct?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

And this "speaks" to the credibility of those that praise performance chips:

"How much advance does the distributor provide as the counter weights open in the distributor?"

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=326574

Diamond who??? A real wealth of knowledge here! Can't get simple basics right.
This really exemplifies most of those who have posted and praised on this thread.
Do a Rennlist & Pelican search on these posters and find posts beyond "How to polish a Porsche."
or "What rims to use.".

"I have a SteveW custom chip for this configuration. It is running rich at idle at about 10.8"

Have to love those "reputable tuners"! Great programming job - "rich at idle".
Someone (tuner) needs to get a "new life".

What a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottomline: Need more be said about "these" praisers (knowledgeLESS) and performance chips?

Last edited by Lorenfb; 01-24-2007 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:29 PM
joey c
Pro

LOREN,are chips bad..

Quick Reply: Steve Wong Chip (more praise)