Crashed my 911, need opinions on options

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 05:29 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crashed my 911, need opinions on options

Hello all!

A very sad day Yesterday (and today). Yesterday on the way to work, I got cut off on the freeway. In an effort avoid hitting the idiot, I had to crank hard to the right going about 60 mph. The rear of my P-car swung around and I found myself sliding sidways. I'm lucky enough to maneuver the car between several cars as I'm sliding to the right through two lanes of traffic. My luck ended as I plowed into a GMC truck's rear bumper (the last car I needed to get by). Major impact was to the driver door and the rear quarter panel (not much left). It appears there is structural damange as well. Anyway thank god no body got injured.

So here's the deal.

1986 Coupe, 99,900 miles (just getting ready to turn 100K). Engine is fine, tranny is fine, wheels, seats, etc., are all okay.

Insurance company is going to total the car. They are offering me $19,612.95 or $16,612.95 and the car.

I'm thinking about taking the $16.6K and the car. I think I can part out the car and do okay. In fact, I started the car (starts right up - like always) and it was driveable (slowly).

What do you guys think? I recently saw where a good 3.2 engine went for $7.5K. If I decide to keep the car and part it out, it looks like I could easily recoupe the $3K. The only problem is my location being in SLC where there is not a hugh market, thus I would need to ship parts.

Opinions Please!

Regards,
Jim
'86 Coupe (Crashed)
Old 01-19-2007, 05:38 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely you can do better than $3k for a good engine / trans (verify the trans is ok, may have driven the halfshaft into the trans?) Interior pieces if in great shape may go for decent money, etc. Consider giving some of the part-out companies a yell - heck, they may give you $5k & come get it, who knows?

Also look to someone looking for a project (wish I were in a position to do something like this).

Anyway, for the buy-back amount, I personally think you're in better shape taking the salvage back.

FYI, I took the salvage back on my rear-ended '95 SHO, where I'd done a custom block, vortech blower, brakes, etc.; lost the wheels when I got pushed onto the Jersey Barriers, and a rear bar when the body folded around it, but otherwise got most of the good-money parts back by keeping the salvage - then I transferred over to another chassis.

Now that the opinion's out there, on to the important stuff - Sorry to hear about the incident, glad you're ok.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:55 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! That's great money for your car. Was that a stated amount policy, or did they value the car at the time of the accident?

I'd take the salvage...the engine alone might be worth the $3K...I would imagine you could get a P-Car shop to buy it off you for more than the $3K. I know my local shop did that with a wrecked 930...sold the brakes, the seats, the dash...well, everything except the crumpled frame and panels.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Keep the car and do it yourself, only if you have the time and patience to part it out.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jim: Sorry about the accident; thankful that you and others involved are OK!
Pete
Old 01-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree with others....part the car. Insurace will junk it, what a waste! Plus, parting a car is a great learning experience! Just be preparred to have a lot of parts laying around for a while.

If possible, you might be able to sell the motor better if you get a leakdown/compression test and/or some video of it running before you pull it. (..or pull it after you sell it in case somebody wants to see it run?)

Good luck and have fun with it!
Old 01-19-2007, 10:41 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all!

I'm really leaning toward keeping the car and parting it out or just selling it as is. I'll decided over the weekend.

My insurance company is Geico. No stated value policy. The adjuster told me they based it on current market value.

Regards,
Jim
'86 Coupe (Crashed)
Old 01-22-2007, 01:22 AM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Glad to hear you're ok

I'd keep the car and part it out/sell
Old 01-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through this with my 89 911. I bought the wreck and got another car (88 911)
that needed some work. Swapped out parts off the 89 that the 88 needed and came
out with a really good car. I also sold off the parts I did not need to off set the cost.
Motors and trannys sell quick...you just have to make sure you do not need the stuff
you are selling !!
Good Luck
Chuck

Quick Reply: Crashed my 911, need opinions on options