Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Dave Gaunt 1953-2007

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 11:16 AM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Dave Gaunt 1953-2007

I write this with a heavy heart. Dave Gaunt passed away this morning after a couragous battle with cancer. For those who did not know him personally Dave was a devoted family man, mentor and grassroots car guy. His passion for cars was deep. Dave spent many weekends at the track driving his old 911 for all she was worth. More important he was always willing to sit in the right seat and instruct anyone willing to learn.

Dave is survived by his wife Adele and two sons Michael and Brian

You will be missed my friend

Brad Gregovski
Old 01-18-2007, 11:21 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sorry to hear! Condolences to his family.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Real sorry for the loss, Prayers offered to his family and friends.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow,..thats a real shock.

I spent a long time exchanging e-mails with Dave over the years covering a whole spectrum of technical issues and it was always a real pleasure to be of assistance to such a gentleman. We never met face-to-face but after many e-mails and a few phone calls, I found Dave to be a genuine "motor-head" and a real
all-around good guy.

I'll miss his engaging style and thoughtful queries and I extend my deepest condolences to his family.

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 01-19-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:24 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

That's sad...RIP Dave, and condolences to his family and friends.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 01-18-2007, 06:56 PM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Remembering Dave Gaunt

Dave and I traded emails awhile back which ended up including the subject of rodent infestation. I posted the following story from Dave with his permission. In memory of a great guy

“I never actually saw the 'crispy critters'. They made a home in my heat exchangers under the engine complete with MY carpet for bedding. It was in the fall, about a 40 Deg day and pissing rain--had to take the car somewhere for something--so had everything pulled to max trying to get the moisture off the windshield. You know how it is, when you start the car from cold, even if it's in a garage, the moisture in the longitudinals gets picked up by the already damp, lightly heated air from the exchangers, and deposits it on the windshield. At least I was only 100 yards from home when it all went to hell… When I drove the car, burning, smoking bits of shredded carpet and backing blew out of the defrost vents landing on my passenger seat and filling the car with vile green smoke. I didn't know whether to run, hit the fire extinguisher or save the insurance documents. I shut off the front blower--which was supplying combustion air to the super-heated material from the exhaust area and it settled quickly. I am not sure how you will capture the full terror of having almost solid green smoke pour from the defrost vents, along with the flaming bits of shredded carpet landing on the seat! The smoke was almost solid and behaved more like water than smoke as it roiled out of the vent and cascaded downward like a wave. The critters stayed in the system despite all my best efforts to hose them out for about two years. The car always smelled of slightly burned BBQ on damp days, but eventually it went away. That was an adventure.

Best,
Dave
Old 01-18-2007, 09:52 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

R.I.P.

Are we taking up a Rennlist collection for the family??????
Old 01-18-2007, 10:42 PM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Thanks to all who have taken the time to read / reply to this message. I have printed off the replies for Dave's wife and sons to read. On her request I am posting a link to the funeral home at which Dave is resting. www.ferrisfuneral.com . Private cards of condolences can be made there. Thanks to fixnprsh for the though but if anyone wishes to make a small donation to their local cancer society or kidney foundation in Dave's memory that would be great.

Brad

Quick Reply: Dave Gaunt 1953-2007