Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

heater blower for sale/advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 01:18 AM
rentadate
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater blower for sale/advice?

I did a search and couldn't find my earlier post on the heater blower motor. I took mine out, and then I found that the motor on the side had literally blown into several small pices, that were all over the bell housing stuck to some magnets.

Is there anyone out there who has one that is working that will sell me one? Or is it easier to buy a new one in town for $455. I checked a few places, but I'm not really sure what I'm going to be getting.

If I order online there is the option of "with housing" and "without housing." Is the housing the "snail" like shell around the squirrel cage fan?

Maybe I can have a small motor guy fabricate something like it. I know a guy who can do that. What would be the Amp rating on the motor?
Thanks

Any advice and help would be great.

-Nick
Old 01-17-2007, 01:28 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

There is a lot of information on this site as well as Pelican about these heater blower motors. I ended up buying a nice used one from a WTB ad on Pelican for about $75. I also bought 2 used footwell blowers for about the same cost. Also, do a search for Grainer motor modification if your car does not have the footwell blowers. Finally, if your car does have the footwell blowers, consider performing the rear engine blower delete mod; you will then rely on the footwell blowers, which are up to the task.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I used the Grainger motor in the rear and the original footwell blowers.
They are still working (for now).
I modified the rear relay to allow proper function of the front fans.
++++
Old 01-18-2007, 02:17 PM
rentadate
Instructor

Here's my dilemma. I keep hearing about these footwell blowers. I've done some reading, and I think there is a small problem with it...

My body is a 1975. I don't think this car came with footwell blowers. I have basically nil on anything that resembles it. All I have is a heater thing that can either switch from the defrost to a hose pointing at the floor in the interior. Is that the footwell blower you are all referring to? Cause there is no motor there to push air around. Just well...a hose.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Yes, your car did not come with footwell blowers. Without footwell blowers, your car will still have plenty of heat, IMO. I would install the Grainger motor in the engine compartment (cheap) or buy a used blower from Pelican WTB ads (affordable) or buy a new one ($300). That should be enough heat for you.

BTW, the footwell blower motors on the newer cars (starting with the 3.2 Carrera in 1984) have either a 4-position switch between the seats or the simply auto heat switch between the seats. Your car has neither.

Quick Reply: heater blower for sale/advice?