Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Heat coming out of only one side - help???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 12:04 PM
marcandkimmie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat coming out of only one side - help???

First of all, many many thanks for assistance with helping me semi-backdate my heater in my 86 Carrera while still using my front fans. The jumper worked on the relay! Wonderful stuff.

I still have an issue I need to address. Both front fans work but hot air only comes out of the passenger side of the car. When I pull each floorboard lever individually heat comes out of the passenger side, but nothing I can do will make any air come through driver side.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,
Marc
Old 01-16-2007, 12:19 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Is the physical door actually closing on the driver's side heat exhanger under the car? Might not be rotating the round disc, and it's open to outside air all the time, regardless of lever position? I know mine was sticking a little when I was inspecting under there this summer.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:03 PM
marcandkimmie
Instructor

Fred:

Well, when I use the left heater lever only, heat still comes out of the right side of the car so it seems that it is working properly. I know there are supposed to be other controller valves in the trunk of the car for fresh air. Could one of these be stuck and block air flow?

Just in case, I will go make sure hot air does indeed come out of the right side when I use the left handle only.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:22 PM
marcandkimmie
Instructor

[QUOTE=marcandkimmie]Fred:

Well, when I use the left heater lever only, heat still comes out of the right side of the car so it seems that it is working properly.

Nope. I lied. When I pull the left handle, the front fans come on, but the left side does not blow any air.

I guess it is the heater control valve as you mentioned.

Now....to try to get my fat self under the car to fix it.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:15 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I spray my heater valve moving parts with WD40 at the beginning of every winter to keep the beasts moving freely, and operate them at least once a month to check everything is OK. May seem over the top but my heater valves just keep on working for very little effort.

PJC
Old 01-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

A couple questions:

1.) When you turn on the fresh air, does fresh air come out of the defroster vents? Does fresh air come out of the footwell vents? If yes, then your fresh air isn't blocking the heat.

2.) When you slide the defrost/heat slider, does the heat change from the footwells to the windshield? If yes, then this control isn't blocking the heat.

Aside from checking the heater boxes at the rear of the car (which is where I would start), you can also check the very often brittle hoses under the dash & footwells. I found these to be on the verge of disintegrating on my car.

One thing about these heater boxes: not only do they have the external valve for venting engine heat, they also have an internal valve that you cannot see. So it is going to be very difficult to check the operation. The good news is that the drivers side heater valve is much more accessible that the pass side one, so you can easily get your head & flashlight in there without jacking the car up.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:07 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
The good news is that the drivers side heater valve is much more accessible that the pass side one, so you can easily get your head & flashlight in there without jacking the car up.
Unless the car is lowered

John
Old 01-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by GothingNC
Unless the car is lowered

John
Even if not lowered, it was still hard to get my thick head and body under the car
Old 01-18-2007, 02:56 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suspect the footwell blowers. If they don't work, they block heat. Your check should be systematic, make sure the rear flappers are working correctly, then the footwells, then the freshair directors in the front trunk..

Quick Reply: Heat coming out of only one side - help???