Road Trip part Deux/Houston

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 07:23 PM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Road Trip part Deux/Houston

Hey Y'all
Had to leave the new beast in Houston and divert back into Mexico for 10 days, so road trip on hold. Thanks for the tips (in Cali.) and will try and touch base in Dallas.
Question: Anyone have a good source for service in Houston? Any thoughts on Victory Motorcars?
Q2: Has anyone ever used sludge clean up (or something similar) as far as oil/engine clean up...
Q3: previous owner was somewhat unclear on oil issues ie syn/no syn, any thoughts on what to use now, as far as brand (swepco?)....
Car runs solid, trip from Florida to Texas was wet and slow, havent had a chance to really open her up, but she seems to be solid.....
Thanks in advance hope to meet some of y'all on the roads!
Thanks
Frank
Old 01-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hummmmm Id use and am using royal purple 15/40 syn works real well so far. If your still driving it from houston to where ever dont wash the engine and unless youhave proof there is sludge......you can tell usually when draining the oil drain when warm or fresh off the highway. if you need my number or anything else pm me Im in Dallas
Old 01-13-2007, 08:10 PM
ulrichd
Racer

Frank,
I Houston give Eurocar-Werks a call (713-661-6428). They have a good reputation. As for Victory Motors...well, do a search on this board. You'll see.

Ulrich
Old 01-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

From what I've read, primarily on Pelican: run, don't walk, from Victory. As to oil, assuming from your avatar you've got a pre-89, I'd not go with synthetic. There is a real potential for opening up a bunch of leaks by switching to syn on an older car that has not run it prior. The best bet, IMO, are the blends: Castrol Syntec or Valvoline Durablend. I've used both on my '84, and the oil comes out as clean as it went in at change intervals.

On these motors, you want to go with 20/50.

15/40, especially in wamer climes, is NOT recommended, don't believe all that you read on the internet.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:11 PM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ulrichd
Frank,
I Houston give Eurocar-Werks a call (713-661-6428). They have a good reputation. As for Victory Motors...well, do a search on this board. You'll see.

Ulrich
Ulrich, I left the car at a buds house in Spring...Is Eurocar close?
Thanks
Frank
Old 01-13-2007, 09:14 PM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
From what I've read, primarily on Pelican: run, don't walk, from Victory. As to oil, assuming from your avatar you've got a pre-89, I'd not go with synthetic. There is a real potential for opening up a bunch of leaks by switching to syn on an older car that has not run it prior. The best bet, IMO, are the blends: Castrol Syntec or Valvoline Durablend. I've used both on my '84, and the oil comes out as clean as it went in at change intervals.

On these motors, you want to go with 20/50.

15/40, especially in wamer climes, is NOT recommended, don't believe all that you read on the internet.
Ed
Thanks for the heads-up....I happened on VMC, as my brother is in the market for a 911 now...
As for the oil, my 87 will end up with me in Vancouver Canada, any suggestions for colder clim.? Who do you use for service in Houston?
Thanks
Frank
Old 01-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I've not had any work done in Houston. You'll be good with 20/50 in Summer, maybe 15/50 in winter. Don't go down to 40 on the upper number, these air-cooled engines want a heavier oil. The lower number will be your viscosity at lower temps, such as when you start up in the morning.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I would agree esp the warmer climate. But this begs for another multipage oil discussion..............

Just do what your owners manual says. That will be good enough.

here are some good links:
http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html
http://members.rennlist.com/oil/

After reading through these pages and a host of others I have yet to find a modern oil that has been the demise of any of the 911 engines or 928 engines since I really dont have the experience as so many of these guys do with oil usage in a porsche I base my usage on the manual and these seemingly scientific appraisals of oil.

Last edited by Loaded; 01-13-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:40 AM
MarkSchu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank- I have had many dealings with Houston shops: here is the lowdown. VMC- they have lots of cars but PPI desperately needed. They will do not know if the car is a dog or not and really not interested. Caveat emptor reigns supreme.
As far as shops: Eurocar is ok, but expensive. Pro-teknik- same. After experiences with all of them, I have gone to Swiss Garage and been very happy. They are low key but very professional. They are in town near river oaks. Good luck. Mark
Old 01-18-2007, 10:21 PM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Mark
Dropped it off at SG yesterday (actually a friend of mined did). I've spoken w/Joe via phone, and also sent an email giving them a heads-up (as well as calling them Monday) No one seemed to have a clue as to what was going on yesterday, hopefully my call today cleared things up...We'll see. Thanks for the heads-up. I advised him that a client of theirs refered me so.....
Thanks
Frank
Old 01-18-2007, 10:36 PM
ulrichd
Racer

Frank,
I'd be curious how things go at swiss garage. They used to be exclusively Mercedes/Porsche, but I think they changed owners recently.

Ulrich
Old 01-18-2007, 10:50 PM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Oh man. Lets hope that if there are new owners, they know what they're doing. I'll give you a heads up tomorrow night.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:34 PM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Well Im faced with a 750.00 tune up, which consists of valves, plugs, oil/filter/air filter gearbox oil , valve gaskets...seem reasonable? as well as fixing the sunroof (guides (plastic arms?) and springs) 240+tax

Quick Reply: Road Trip part Deux/Houston