Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Enginer Rebuild Cost 911 Carrera 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enginer Rebuild Cost 911 Carrera 3.2

Ok so maybe I might keep my 87 Carrera Cab. What is the typical milage at which a 3.2 would need a rebuild? Whats the difference between top end rebuild and bottom end rebuild? I'm sure someone has asked this before but please answer if you can. How much does something like this cost? $10K? I saw rebuild kits for $800.00 but I am sure labor is through the roof. Any insight would be appreciated. My Carrera is at 122K miles.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:28 PM
gerry100
Pro

You'll need more input from knowledgeable mechanics but for my 3.2 head studs,valve job and guides , rings ets cost approx $5K. Bottom end, crank, rods etc was checked but not opened up.

Bottoms on these engines are supposed to last for a long time ( 200K?) so I figure I'm good for another 70-80K before I worry about it.

Just because you're at 122k doesn't mena a rebuild is eminent, these engines have been known to go a lot longer before being opened.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

I didnt say it was eminent I was just wondering when I might have to and how much it would cost. Sounds expensive.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Everything is based on oil consumption. When the car starts to use about one quart/300 miles it's time to do a top end job (see gerry's post above). Depending on mileage, at that time, determines how far in you should go. A complete overhaul, from new hardware to powder coated shrouding to intermediate shaft bearings, will run you about $13-14K. Add rod bearings and a few odds & ends to gerry's repair and you're looking at about $8K.
Pete
Old 01-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engines that are broken in right, and are always warmed up before being run hard often wear into a sweet spot where they just seem to go on and on. If your engine is good now, and you warm it up before you push it, it may last a good long while.

These are some of the longest lasting engines made. Do you feel yours has issues ?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just reread your other post. It seems to me that if you sell now, you will have put the car in nice shape for someone else to drive. If you decide to sell, do everything you can to make the car as cometically perfect as possible. People are attracted to a car that gives off good vibes.

If it is any consolation, many of us { All ?} have spent more money on cars than we will get back. I still look at it as a good investment, because it maintains the value of our cars while keeping them enjoyable for us. A good running car is much easier to sell with a good concience. Of course I say investment, but in reality very few Porsches will ever be true investments. It is amazing to me that they retain their value so well, just as it surprizes me to see how well these cars hold up.

Never be afraid to use your car ! Half the trick to running these cars is to get them sorted. The other half is using them. They run better when they are exercized regularly, stay in tune longer and just seem happier overall being used. And of course driving the cars, spending time around them, washing them, working on them only makes us more attatched to them. Putting the money in, and not getting the experience we wanted makes the car a burden and not a joy.

In the end, life and owning Porsches - especially owning Porsches ! - is about following our bliss. Bliss doesn't always payoff in monetary gains, nor do we always find it where we think we will. It is still worthwhile seeking it, or eliminating those things in life that don't seem to be part of it.

Good luck with your Carrera, whatever you decide.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:40 PM
hollywood213
Intermediate

you can always buy a 3.6 and upgrade the motor, ive been thinking about doing that myself. i have estimate quotes at about 7K for the motor and 3k for other misc. parts. that may not be a bad way to go
Old 01-20-2007, 04:47 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Hmmmm sounds interesting hollywood, I dont think I will be rebuilding anytime soon but that upgrade would be best for those not interested in keeping the "originality" of the car. I might consider it. If you are willing give me your contact information so I can contact you in the future about it.

Quick Reply: Enginer Rebuild Cost 911 Carrera 3.2