Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Questions regarding 911 purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Questions regarding 911 purchase...

Hi Guys,

I am all set to buy a Carrera targa this fall. I will have $17k to spend, plus another $2k for ‘other stuff’. I plan on scoping for cars during late summer, then we will take the week of Labor day off to go look at cars, get a PPI and drive a 911 home. I’ve done a bunch of research, and was originally thinking a nice ’86 would be perfect (as good as it got before the G-50 without the G-50 premium), but the more people I talk to, the more I hear that I should buy a G-50 car. I don’t want to start the whole 915 vs. G-50 thing all over again. I really need to drive a sorted 915 & G-50 back to back, but before I do that, I have the following questions…(This car will be a daily driver when the weather permits, and I plan to do some DE and maybe even Auto X down the road.) So on with my questions...

1. Can I find a decent G-50 targa on the West coast for $17k?
2. If so, should I look for one instead of a sorted 915 (buy the newest…)?
3. Do any of you know of Carrera targas that will be offered this fall in OR / WA / ID / MT / CO / NV or CA?
4. Should I shoot for a car that has a documented rebuild or look for something with lower miles then plan on doing that myself?
5. I am fairly confident that it will be best to look at cars priced at $18-19k, and see if I can get one with my $17k with $2k left over. This is better than spending $19k then having nothing left (for a while) for immediate fixes, correct?

I’d like to add how much I appreciate all the helpful advice I’ve gotten thus far. It has been a long time coming, (since I was 12) but 911 ownership is finally in sight!

Thanks,

Paul.

'01 Buell Blast
Old 01-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see many things. I see a carrera targa in your future ... I see a G50, no, a 915 ... It is not clear. You are struggling, trying to decide if it is worth the money to PPI. Yes, it is a good thing, and good things will come out of your PPI. I see several cars, and a final choice. There may be a man, a friend who can help you to choose. You are shopping wisely, and your car will give you great pleasure if you have chosen wisely. I see .... YES ! It is a G50. You are very pleased you held out.

I have spoken.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 86 for 16k and its cabriolet to me in very good shape..........Thats all I can add to this conversation at this point. BTW yes a PPI is good I regret not doing this on my 928 becauseit cost me more skin on my knuckles and cash then I care to mention...
Old 01-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys- I really wasn't expecting a crystal ball answer! Like I said, I think driving a G50 & 915 back to back will probably be the decider. I have heard many say that a sorted 915 is a great tranny, plus it is lighter and the replacement clutch is cheaper. Keep 'em coming guys!

Thanks,

Paul.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:00 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I've driven a 964 with the G50 and it is nice. However, that was before I got my 85 cab so I didn't have anything to compare it to. I just put in the Porsche short shift in my cab and it is a night and day difference. Prior to that, my shifter bushings were shot and shifting was vague. Now it is short and more precise. Of course, you don't have the detents with the 915, but I really like the tranny that I have.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:19 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

WPO-

Thanks for the advice. How much of the improvement in shifting do you think was new bushings vs. shorter shift? If I buy a 915 I'll probably replace all the shifter bushings as a matter of course- see if that tightens things up. If not, I'll consider the short shift kit.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:53 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Kennington
1. Can I find a decent G-50 targa on the West coast for $17k?
2. If so, should I look for one instead of a sorted 915 (buy the newest…)?
3. Do any of you know of Carrera targas that will be offered this fall in OR / WA / ID / MT / CO / NV or CA?
4. Should I shoot for a car that has a documented rebuild or look for something with lower miles then plan on doing that myself?
5. I am fairly confident that it will be best to look at cars priced at $18-19k, and see if I can get one with my $17k with $2k left over. This is better than spending $19k then having nothing left (for a while) for immediate fixes, correct?
Hi Paul:

1) Yes, you probably can find a half ways decent G-50 equipped 911 for $17k. However, it'll probably have over 100,000 miles on it. That's not bad thing since these cars last quite a while, but keep in mind motor and/or trans work may be needed in the future. These are all aging, high performance sports cars and it takes money to keep them running well and looking good.

2) You need to drive examples of both transmissions to see what you prefer. A solid, well sorted 915 isn't all that much different from a G-50 (or as much as the internet may lead you to believe). None of these cars shift like new Hondas, so you'll have to be tolerant of the inherent balkiness in these old school trannys (both the 915 and G-50).

3) If we all knew what cars would be available 8-9 months in advance, we'd be millionaires. It's a crap shoot on what will be on the market so far in advance.

4) How many miles a year do you plan to put on this 911? If you only plan on 3000-5000 miles per year, then it really doesn't matter if the motor has been rebuilt on a 100,000 mile car since a rebuild theoretically could be many miles away. If you wish to put 12,000 to 15,000 miles on this car per year, then maybe the rebuilt motor option might be the way to go so that you are starting with somewhat lower mileage on the motor (the most expensive part of the car to freshen up).

5) I agree with your thinking of looking at $18-19k priced cars and then expecting to pay $17k with $2000 left to address issues.

You seem to have a time frame for buying this car during the Labor Day weekend. However, you never know what comes up. You may find the right car in August of 2007. Or January of 2008. In Texas. It takes awhile to find the right car. There are many, many poor examples out there and searching for one takes a bit of time. Nice 911's go very quickly, so if you find a car in July, you may have to jump on it right away because if you think it's really nice, others will too and it may sell quickly. It probably won't be there yet when you take vacation in September.

I had about 1 hour to decide on whether or not to buy my '84 this past spring. There were three people after it and luckily, the prior owner was enough of a gentleman to allow me to offer first on the car before accepting other offers. Never, ever rush these types of purchases, but also have your homework done and your ducks in a row so you can make an informed decision when that time comes. I'd suggest getting some seat time in a few of these cars in spring so you can be in good shape to make a decision by September.

Best of Luck!

Jay
90 964, 84 3.2
Old 01-14-2007, 03:47 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Kennington
WPO-

Thanks for the advice. How much of the improvement in shifting do you think was new bushings vs. shorter shift? If I buy a 915 I'll probably replace all the shifter bushings as a matter of course- see if that tightens things up. If not, I'll consider the short shift kit.
The bushings were on their way out and I was nursing them until I couldn't get it in gear. However, the reduction in throw is great and the car is easier to drive. I have driven other 911s with the 915 and they felt the same to me. The SS kit makes a difference!
Old 01-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the advice guys. I realize that waiting until Sept is likely to put me in a predicament if I find a nice car sooner- such as this one which I found last night-

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...TAFSRCHUSDTEXT

But I just can't do it yet. I expect to put <3k on the car per year, as I will be keeping the FJ Cruiser as my 'other daily driver'. So here's my question. What is the best way to get 'seat time'? I could go look at cars for sale and drive them, but I would feel like I was taking advantage of the seller as I am not ready to buy yet. Granted, I'd feel a whole lot better about driving a dealer-listed car just for grins, but do you guys have any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: Questions regarding 911 purchase...