German or Domestic/Interior Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:47 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default German or Domestic/Interior Project

IM getting ready to load up on bits and pieces to do my interior.
A few questions.

Sound Mat what do you rec? I am going to install it so dont talk me out of it. I know its a cab but it goes a long way on hot 100degree days on black asphalt and have seen tinny cars turn to solid sound cars

German or domestic Carpet?

Leather seat skins.......Im going to dye the rear seats but will replace the fronts with new skins. Do any of you have an recs?

My door panels and small interior pieces I will firt clean then scrub down with xylene then spray with dye Black.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:18 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please don't take any offense to this, because I can honestly say I thought this way since I was 16, but.....

"Why the heck do people insist on dying their old parts black?" is a Question I have asked myself many times over the years. Here's why. (as if you really care, and why should you?)

I like to look at original colors and certainly have great appreciation for any non-black interior that has lasted this many years to still be in good condition. Therefore, I like to hope for thepossibility of someone else with the same color interior that is still in pretty good shape minus a torn seat or door panel to be looking for at least a partial set.
You can buy black ones that are brand new for a reasonable price, and they will all match better than a dye job over who-knows-what kind of cleaner, etc. that may be on the last seat or door panel.

I simply cringe at the thought of losing a good burgundy interior to the restoration/enthusiast market because it gets dyed black instead.

With that said, I don't want to come off as or be misunderstood as some purist. I just know that if i had a burgundy interior in need of a single piece, my options would be limited and expensive.

BTW, I have cork, which I both love and hate. When I mod my interior it will be with another set of black 'whatevers', and a set of cork 'whatevers' left over.

Am I the only one that feels this way? I came really close to buying a set of cork sport seats that were in just average condition for this reason, but ended up liking the quality of my leather more than the shape of that seat.

(I bought a set of vinyl non-sport seat covers from World Upholstry about 8 years ago. They were made well, not too difficult to put on, and matched the color of my 74 very closely...you guessed it ...cork)
+++
Old 01-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dan, you're not alone. I too like the look of non black interiors. It's very easy to swap out worn interior parts for new black stuff and sometimes black is the only color available for specific parts (such as a new dash directly from Porsche). That's probably why people go to black when redoing an interior.

Loaded: Autos International seems to get some good press on providing quality leather and fabrics for your Porsche. Might be worth a look to get an idea of what stuff costs and what is available. Also, many of these interior places for Porsche can match your existing colors of your leather and carpets.

Jay
90 964, 84 3.2
Old 01-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Super_Dave_D
Advanced

I just got done replacing my entire interior where the PO had redyed everything and it looked horrible. I replaced my carpet with domestic because I got a good deal on it BUT if I had to do over again, I would use the more exspensive German carpet. The domestic just seems to crush down more easily.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan Cobb
Please don't take any offense to this, because I can honestly say I thought this way since I was 16, but.....

"Why the heck do people insist on dying their old parts black?" is a Question I have asked myself many times over the years. Here's why. (as if you really care, and why should you?)

I like to look at original colors and certainly have great appreciation for any non-black interior that has lasted this many years to still be in good condition. Therefore, I like to hope for thepossibility of someone else with the same color interior that is still in pretty good shape minus a torn seat or door panel to be looking for at least a partial set.
You can buy black ones that are brand new for a reasonable price, and they will all match better than a dye job over who-knows-what kind of cleaner, etc. that may be on the last seat or door panel.

I simply cringe at the thought of losing a good burgundy interior to the restoration/enthusiast market because it gets dyed black instead.

With that said, I don't want to come off as or be misunderstood as some purist. I just know that if i had a burgundy interior in need of a single piece, my options would be limited and expensive.

BTW, I have cork, which I both love and hate. When I mod my interior it will be with another set of black 'whatevers', and a set of cork 'whatevers' left over.

Am I the only one that feels this way? I came really close to buying a set of cork sport seats that were in just average condition for this reason, but ended up liking the quality of my leather more than the shape of that seat.

(I bought a set of vinyl non-sport seat covers from World Upholstry about 8 years ago. They were made well, not too difficult to put on, and matched the color of my 74 very closely...you guessed it ...cork)
+++

I feel your pain because inside I am a purist. The problem I am having is that color matching is a BIATCH in the the other domestic cars I have done. I have found the dye matching is a bitchin a half and can really make a car UGLY and look half *** done. IM torn, really I am, and it just seems in order to get my interior nearly factory fresh or dyed to the burgundy color it will require expensive dye and custom dyes and nearly twice as much $$ invested.I could be flawed in my estimates but its what I have found in other cars. I feel also that with a white ar and black top it really could look that bad and would seem to match rather well rather the 80's type of color it was made with. I also want to stem the discoloration of different dyes by going all black because i do use my car daily and I am afraid the burgundy interior and different dye lots I use on the interior will fade in different ways and bring me back to grond zero again with a mismatched interior.

Trust me if I knew I could count on the factory dye ltos being the same and they were affordable I would do it....but for now it just seems matching my interior with the top would be "sympatico"
Old 01-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I totally get your point. With that said....

I would personally rather replace the black top with burgundy stayfast (like Porsche, Mercedes or BMW use now for convertible tops) than to modify the burgundy interior parts forever (assuming they are in good condition, & they must be else you wouldn't consider dying them in the first place).
+++
Old 01-10-2007, 05:30 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

sound deadening materials
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=320515
Old 01-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I wouldn't scrimp on carpet and go with German on that. It's not much more.

Quick Reply: German or Domestic/Interior Project