Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'73 vs. '89 Carrera, Turbo, Cabriolet, lots of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002 | 10:52 PM
NTI 911E
Old School
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post '73 vs. '89 Carrera, Turbo, Cabriolet, lots of questions.

I have been looking at a few options for my next car. I have plenty of time to ponder (probably going to be a year or so before I'm buying) but I want to investigate some. The only 911's I've driven are my '73 and several 996's. This does not leave me with much idea of the characteristics of the later air cooled cars. I am thinking about these cars:

'82-'83 SC Coupe
'87-'89 Carrera Coupe/Cab
'87-'89 Turbo Coupe/Cab

Bearing in mind that I don't want to 1) hassle someone to drive their car that I'm not going to buy for a while and 2) find a good example in my area to drive, can someone give me some ideas about these cars? My questions:

What are some basic driving differences between my '73 and these cars? While I realize the '73 is a lot different, it is also very similar. The '73 has a 911S front suspension and was factory equipped with 911S alloy front brakes, Bridgestone S-03 tires (car handles very well), and a 5-speed transmission with limited slip.

Are the Turbos really that much of a beast to drive?

How good are the Cabrios as far as stiffness, rattles, sound insulation with the top up, compared to the coupe? I love convertibles but I'm afraid of the livability of the pre-996 models' roofs and chassis

Which would you choose out of the above choices? Don't worry, the '73 isn't going anywhere

Price isn't really a consideration... I am looking at either one of those 911 or a new S2000... so anything up to about $34-36k will work. I don't think I want a 993 or 964 because I don't want to deal with the complications of the maintenance on the newer cars.

The '73 is pricey to take care of. It seems it's in the shop 1-3 times a year. Every time it goes in, it's at least $1000. The last few repairs have been the sunroof, A/C, suspension, A/C (again), oil leaks, and a few other things. Luckily I have a fantastic mechanic who is really knowledgeable about all of the air-cooled 911s (Tif in Annapolis, MD if you're from the area). This is on a car with no rust and 47,000 miles in pretty good mechanical condition. Should I expect similar costs on the choices above?

Thanks so much for the help!!
Old 11-27-2002 | 10:57 AM
NTI 911E
Old School
Rennlist Member

Bump. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-27-2002 | 11:12 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,173 Likes on 2,918 Posts
As an owner of a 73S (similar to your 73E) and I've also owner a 2002 C2 (like your dad's but 6spd), I'd say you'll have a difficult time finding a car that's more fun to drive than the 73. Despite the fact that you think the 73 is expensive to maintain, in my experience, it's one of the easiest and cheapest of the 911s (btw, I pulled out my factory a/c to save weight, remove engine drag, and expenses - don't really need it in Denver - I guess MD is different)

A 964 RS America or 3.2 Club Sport would be a good way to keep some of the rawness of the early cars while adding some torque and better shifting (with G50).

I've been looking for a 73 Carrera RS (or replica) - I think that would be the best way to go. If you're looking for refinement and a daily driver - go with a newer model. Otherwise, an SC is not going to be any more fun than the 73 IMHO - much heavier and not much more power.
Old 11-27-2002 | 11:30 AM
JeremyW964
Instructor

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I had a 964 that was totaled by a yellow cab. I had very few maintenance issues in the two years that I owned it. The most expensive was $800 for cam cover gaskets and power steering pump. I negotiated the buying price down $1500 to pay for this repair when I bought it. After which it didn't leak a drop. Go with the best example you can find and have a thorough PPI done on ANY car you consider.

That said, There are some GREAT deals out there right now. I have driven several cars in the past few weeks and have to say from my point of view, I think the 87-89 3.2's and the 964's have the right combination of power, and comfort, yet still maintain the experience of a Porsche. The 1971 that I drove was fun, but you had to really work to get the engine into the powerband.

The 964's have so much Torque, they sure feel faster, the 993's have such a linear power band it almost doesn't feel like you are moving until you look at the speedometer(sorry officer!)

the 87-89's are sweet, but pricey too. I guess long term they may cost less because of maintenance, time will tell.

Just one man's opinion that has driven a slew of cars the past month.
Old 11-27-2002 | 03:26 PM
NTI 911E
Old School
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I would absolutely be keeping the '73 so I want something with more comfort and daily drivability. I love the styling of the '87-'89 and the 964. The 993 is still too pricey, I think.
Old 12-02-2002 | 03:28 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I was about to suggest the Turbo until your last post about comfort and daily drivability. Those items are not co-existant in 86-89 Turbos.

You can find 993's in the mid-thirties if you look hard enough. They are as fast 0-60 as the early Turbo although the speed is distributed differently within those 5 seconds. Turbos are more fun, without a doubt. BTW, if you opt for a '95 993, drive several different ones before you buy. Apparently there's a weird phenomenon where some are substantially faster than others. If you want comfort and drivability, you'll like the 993. Not quite as smooth as a 996 but close. And quieter if you can believe that.
Old 12-02-2002 | 11:33 AM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A customer of Tif's bought a 964 for about 20k a little while ago, it wasnt perfect but very nice. I am not an expert but I personally wouldnt consider an SC or Carrera a daily driver if you want comfy and quiet. My SC, even with stock exhaust, was too loud for the cell phone conversation as a point of reference (but maybe it's just my car). A friend has a very nice 88 Cab that is maybe a little bit quieter than my SC, has the g50 and rides softer, but still firm.

Now's the time to buy if you can squeeze it, I've seen 964's for 20k and 993's for 30-35; much better than an S2000.
Old 12-02-2002 | 03:55 PM
NTI 911E
Old School
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Chris Martin:
<strong>My SC, even with stock exhaust, was too loud for the cell phone conversation as a point of reference (but maybe it's just my car</strong><hr></blockquote>

That is strange, because my '73 is quiet enough to easily talk on a cell phone.

So the Turbos are beasts? Why are they so much less forgiving in typical use than the Carrera?

Quick Reply: '73 vs. '89 Carrera, Turbo, Cabriolet, lots of questions.