Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC
View Poll Results: is your coupe fitted with a sunroof?
Yes
87.23%
No
12.77%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Coupe, question relating to sunroof.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 02:37 AM
VA911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coupe, question relating to sunroof.

OK i have a 79 SC Coupe without a sunroof. Did porsche just make some with and some without or was it an option to have a sunroof or an option to not have a sunroof?
Just a question thats bugging me thats all.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:11 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

In some years, Porsche would ship all cars to the U.S. with 'standard options,' which meant an entire years' worth of cars would come over here with sunroofs or air conditioning -- the only way to get a truly non-optioned car was to place a special order for one and wait.

I don't know if that was the case in 1979, and I don't know if the same thing was done in Australia. By and large I think non-sunroof coupes are far less common than sunroofed models in the U.S.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:32 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by VA911
OK i have a 79 SC Coupe without a sunroof. Did porsche just make some with and some without or was it an option to have a sunroof or an option to not have a sunroof?
Just a question thats bugging me thats all.
In Australia it was/is an option only (M650 in 1979) to have a sunroof. Only in the USA is the sunroof part of the PCNA selected "standard options". Until recently there was a sunroof delete option for the US customers, but from what I can gather this was stopped for the 997 series. See the 997 GT-3 forum for these discussions.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:56 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

I have the original receipt for my car, the previous owner paid something like $2600 for the sunroof option.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:48 AM
VA911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adrian
In Australia it was/is an option only (M650 in 1979) to have a sunroof. Only in the USA is the sunroof part of the PCNA selected "standard options". Until recently there was a sunroof delete option for the US customers, but from what I can gather this was stopped for the 997 series. See the 997 GT-3 forum for these discussions.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Thanks Adrian for the info. seams that the original owner of my car was indeed a massive tight ***! although it is not very common to find a non sunroof coupe over hear in Australia.
Spence, WOW, you wouldnt think that a sunroof would cost that much!!!!
Old 12-20-2006, 08:58 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

From waht I hear non sunroof cars make GREAT track cars ..... your destiny awaits ...
Old 12-20-2006, 10:34 AM
madmmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As this poll goes on, I am going to guess that it will be around 25% or less that are not sunroofed.

Porsche got it right with their sunroof design though. Very little wind noise or buffetting. Mine is open most of the time even on the colder days.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would bet that the non sunroof cars are around 5% or less. There are very few with no sunroofs as compared to the remainder of cars.

I feel that non sunroof cars should almost bring a premium! Less weight at the wrong place, less stupid stuff to break, etc.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Jay H
I would bet that the non sunroof cars are around 5% or less. There are very few with no sunroofs as compared to the remainder of cars.

I feel that non sunroof cars should almost bring a premium! Less weight at the wrong place, less stupid stuff to break, etc.
Only in America. Sunroofs are not that common elsewhere. I have never owned a Porsche with a sunroof nor would I start now or in the future.
Keep em light and keep your headroom.
If you want the sun on your head, stop, get out and eat some
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

As you probably know, the GT3 forum talks a lot about these sunroofs. Not having a sunroof will satisfy the purist because there is less weight at the top, which makes the car have a slightly lower center of gravity. All things equal, the non-sunroof car is more solid for this reason. Will you notice on the track? No. But, again, it is technically very slightly a better track car.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
As you probably know, the GT3 forum talks a lot about these sunroofs. Not having a sunroof will satisfy the purist because there is less weight at the top, which makes the car have a slightly lower center of gravity. All things equal, the non-sunroof car is more solid for this reason. Will you notice on the track? No. But, again, it is technically very slightly a better track car.
I don't believe in this purist stuff nor do I care about tracking cars anymore.
For me it's simply 20kgs less weight, more headroom and most importantly; it's a whole less bunch of stuff that can fail thereby reducing ownership costs and hassles.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian
it's a whole less bunch of stuff that can fail thereby reducing ownership costs and hassles.
Amen.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay H
Amen.
Amen is right in the 911 forum, but so funny how each forum on here is so different!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Amen is right in the 911 forum, but so funny how each forum on here is so different!

One of the main differences is that some forums are more populated with certain Porsche customers (usually first timers) who have quite a different view of what is important and what makes a car to them. Sunroof, cup holders, iPod, Bluetooth etc etc. Many of these customers lease their cars which mean they care less about long term ownership costs. When it breaks, the warranty or the lease runs out, they just get rid of it and drive away in something else.
On this forum everyone is an owner and can only work with the choices within the available secondhand market.
For me I have always liked my cars simple, light and with as few moving parts that can break as possible. I also like to own my cars which makes me a tad more picky when I look at the long term ownership issues.
Plus of course I have some idea what breaks on various models and how much it costs to fix them.
However in the end it will always be different horses for different courses. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong, it just boils down to what turns you on.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

In 1977 I couldn't afford what they wanted for a sunroof so my 911S went without. Perhaps today someone has brought it back to life as a track car.

9117201923, Chocolate Brown

Quick Reply: Coupe, question relating to sunroof.