Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Worth the wait (and the $$$)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 01:41 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

What's the point of having a Porsche if your're not going to drive it in the way it was intended, hard & fast
i drove the sh*t out of both my cars both on the track and off. And yes they are quite capable without any mods. HOWEVER, I think i would like a car set up for the track ( seats, roll bar, exhaust, etc.) I had great fun this year at DE with my 2 " stock " p cars but if you want to go faster....and be safer...i think a modded car is in order. Will my wife go for a third ? ( or a fourth including the Cayenne ??? ).......WILL THIS MADNESS EVER END ???
Old 12-15-2006, 02:26 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Is there a porsche club that requires members to have a certain amount of track time while requiring their cars to be kept in near perfect concours condition?

There is a small group of VW owners on the West coast that requires the owners to race the 1/8th and or 1/4 mile drag strip, meet a minimum ET and then enter their cars in a show.

I'll see if I can find a link to theri website later today.

John
Old 12-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know the Chicago region has a concours class for track cars. On Labor Day weekends, these guys (and woman) pound on their car at the track on Friday and Saturday and then enter them in the concours on Saturday night. Kinda cool. Some of these track cars are in VERY nice shape.

On of my region's top track guys always competes in the first concours event of the year to get his car in nice shape cosmetically. He'll then run the rest of the year at track events. His car is so nice, he's won his class in that first concours for several years now since I've been involved since the late '90's. Pretty cool.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:56 PM
vinoviva
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been in the collector car industry for quite some time. I have bought and sold more mid-year corvettes, muscle cars, and more 911's than I can count. Believe me when I say that condition, (low miles) originality and documentation definately matter. People in the collector car business think nothing of spending $50,000 plus for a documented original 1970 SS396/454 Chevelle today. Those were mass produced cars of very indifferent build quality. Any air cooled 911 was a relatively low production primarily hand produced vehicle of exceptional build quality. Collector garage queen or modified track car-they represent the best value for the serious enthusiast available today-bar none.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by vinoviva
I have been in the collector car industry for quite some time. I have bought and sold more mid-year corvettes, muscle cars, and more 911's than I can count. Believe me when I say that condition, (low miles) originality and documentation definately matter. People in the collector car business think nothing of spending $50,000 plus for a documented original 1970 SS396/454 Chevelle today. Those were mass produced cars of very indifferent build quality. Any air cooled 911 was a relatively low production primarily hand produced vehicle of exceptional build quality. Collector garage queen or modified track car-they represent the best value for the serious enthusiast available today-bar none.
I know this is a tough questions, but in your opinion, which Porsches do you anticipate will be collector cars (if any) of the mass-produced kind?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:17 PM
IslandmanPA
Instructor

I've been buying and selling Porsches for over 25 years and think all the 911's will be collectors cars! Thats my .02 cents!
Old 12-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by vinoviva
As the owner of two (coupe and cabrio) '89 3.2 911's, I have wrestled with the idea of slight modifications. Problem is, both are very low mileage pure stock examples in concourse condition. I just couldn't bring myself to modify either of these cars. My solution--I spend a very long time looking for an exceptional third car to modify. Finally located a pristine '88 Coupe that met my requirements (sunroof delete). Pure stock as well, but with 100K miles.

I decided to bite the bullet and do it right. Off the car went to Jerry Woods Enterprises for a complete engine/ trans rebuild, as well as a complete new suspension. My goal was a top of the line car to track as PCA F stock.

After six months and several thousand $$$, Voila! Absolutely unbelieveable.
The total transformation exceeded my expectations in all respects. Thanks to Rich Walton and the guys at Jerry Woods and Smart Racing Products for an unbelieveable job. I got the car back last week and haven't been able to get the smile off my face since! If you have the bucks-these guys are the best!
So.... are you gonna post some pics, or a list of what you did?

Quick Reply: Worth the wait (and the $$$)