Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Finally Got to Drive the 911SC Around Today

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006 | 09:54 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Florida guy . . . think July & August . . . when you boil like a lobster in your car . . .

Back on topic . . arbeitm . . . glad you're loving your car. The smell is one of the assets as others have mentioned. And yeah, the throw of the 915 is kinda tractor-like. Just remember to pause as you shift . . . remember to pause as you shift . . .

Ian
Old 12-11-2006 | 11:14 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

ARBEITM I just got mine also and HOLT CARP its so much fun I could mirror your thought exactly espcially the smell its great
Old 12-12-2006 | 09:26 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

So seems like the biggest selling point of these cars is the smell??? LOL.

Anyone ever have one brand new? Did it smell that way then too?

I was reading the Owners Manual that came with the car last night. In the transmission section it talks about how the transmission is designed for "quick and precise shifting". I had to laugh at that. But then I wondered again...how did the gearbox feel when you left the showroom? Is it just that these cars are 20 years old and that's how the gearbox feels now. Or was it always like that.
Old 12-12-2006 | 11:18 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatsixnut
God I love living in Florida, I feel sorry for you guys that have long winters...I always have both windows completely down and the sunroof is "almost" always open while I am driving.

I never use the ac either and it has a brand new unit....thinking about removing all the ac junk.
Wow, and even your AC works! Lucky you!
Old 12-12-2006 | 11:37 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arbeitm
...how did the gearbox feel when you left the showroom? Is it just that these cars are 20 years old and that's how the gearbox feels now. Or was it always like that.
I have a PDF from a Car & Driver road test on an '84 Carrera with the 915 gearbox. Here is an excerpt from the article:

"The shifter seems paradoxically notchy and vague to some drivers, but familiarity smooths its potential glitches. Half the C/D staff loved it at first touch, the other half begrudgingly accepted it later... (Larry Griffin)

"...The shifter is heavy in city traffic..." (Jean Lindamood)

"...The Carrera is easy to love largely because it's so hard to drive...the shifter is rubbery...but every smoothly executed sweeper or well-coordinated run through the gears is its own reward..." (Don Sherman)
Old 12-12-2006 | 11:57 AM
IslandmanPA
Instructor

Flatsixnut,
I'm stuck in the snow zone for a couple more years, the back to FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2006 | 01:18 AM
sbmackie
Advanced

Default Ditto in NM

Yep, here in sunny Albuquerque we can drive all year, no problemo. If you can stand it in Florida, pull the darn useless AC unit. You will save 50 pounds or so and the engine compartment looks SO much cleaner. I also recommend you remove the heater blower (in Florida, you need the heater???) and have the fresh air/heater system backdated. See below for picture after all is done.

Enjoy.

Scott
And, GO GATORS! (Let the slings and arrows begin!)
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Finally Got to Drive the 911SC Around Today