Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Finally Got to Drive the 911SC Around Today

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006 | 10:21 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Default Finally Got to Drive the 911SC Around Today

I bought it about 3 weeks ago and have only been able to take a reall ride with it today. It's in storage for the winter, but today was beatiful out.

So here's what I noticed:

1. I don't know if it's because I have a Momo steering wheel, but half of the speedometer (from 70 MPH up) is blocked. I have to move my head to see it. Same thing with the oil temp gauge. (It think.) Anyone else?

2. Other than every once in a while not fully shifting into second gear (the throw is pretty long), I actually am not having much of a problem with the 915 gearbox. I kind of like it. I was reading about all these aftermarket gate shifters you can add the other day and was thinking I was going to need one...especially coming from a 944 gearbox. But now I just think I want to add the factory short shift kit and leave it alone. I like the way it feels.

3. Car came with a GHL single in/out exhaust. Sounds great. Not overly loud and no resonance. I can actually listen to the radio.

4. There is a very interesting smell that the car has. Almost like exhaust, but not really. Best way I can describe it.

5. Love the manual steering and the solid suspension.

Overall it's just like nothing I've ever felt before. I love it. Can't wait to auto X in the spring!
Old 12-10-2006 | 10:29 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

my gauges are slightly covered the same way with the stock wheel, I think I can do 130-140 kmph before it gets covered so who needs to know their speed after that?!

I get the same smell in mine, I think it's when I use the heater, maybe bringing in some nice exhaust fumes?
Old 12-10-2006 | 11:12 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

I have a MOMO steering wheel on my Carrera and cannot see the tops of any of my gauges unless I duck. I'm used to it now. Yes, the gearbox is unique. When I first test drove an SC, I told the dealer that I thought the gearbox was broken. So I tried another SC. The 2nd one felt the exact same way, as did #3 and #4. After about 30 minutes, I knew exactly how to shift it.

My car smells a little bit like oil, and a hint of diesel, but mostly like a small 4-passenger aircraft. I love the way old cars smell...

Speaking of smell, above 4,000 RPM with the heaters on, I get some engine smell through the cabin. Not exhaust, per se, but just "engine."

My car has a stock exhaust - there is no reason to change it. I did, however, saw off the top of the airbox cover so that I can hear the induction noises better. It's commonly done on the 3.2 Carrera because the car is generally quiet, but I don't know if the SCs need any help. They have a better engine note from inside the cabin.

I drove 4 SCs and 5 Carreras. I really like the SC a bit more, but the Carrera was more practical for me. Overall, the SC is quite an impressive car.
Old 12-10-2006 | 11:23 PM
JV911
Drifting

same here with the guages and the smell...i love the smell of porsche in the morning

i have the factory short shift kit too...takes a bit of getting used to and you have to be very positive with your shifts but its good
Old 12-11-2006 | 01:41 AM
Corrales911
Instructor

Originally Posted by arbeitm
1. I don't know if it's because I have a Momo steering wheel, but half of the speedometer (from 70 MPH up) is blocked. I have to move my head to see it. Same thing with the oil temp gauge. (It think.) Anyone else?
The Momo does really block the speedo especially. One solution is to rotate the speedo in it's housing so that the higher numbers are more eaily visible. This has been on my to-do list for 2 years so I guess it's not really all that important since I'm used to it.

My wife says my car smells like an old Beetle - pretty apt description.
Old 12-11-2006 | 03:22 AM
VA911
Instructor

i fired it up this arvo just to get a sniff!!! I am now ok for another day!
Old 12-11-2006 | 10:42 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

..Bastards .....

... sorry.... in withdrawl ...
Old 12-11-2006 | 11:38 AM
rentadate
Instructor

I have the same smell with mine as well. Especially when it is warmed up and then I really let the acceleration go with the heater on. Something addicting. Better than that weed my friends had the other day.
Old 12-11-2006 | 11:53 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

You know we are all crazy, right? I wonder if Steven King has P-car owners in mind when he wrote "Christine."
Old 12-11-2006 | 12:18 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Air cooled cars especially 912's and 911's have that smell. Always remember to crack a window to ensure there is no carbon monoxide that can harm you.
Old 12-11-2006 | 12:30 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spider911
...Always remember to crack a window to ensure there is no carbon monoxide that can harm you...
This is usually not a problem for me, since I usually have to leave my fresh air blower constantly on to prevent too much heat and/or condensation building up in the car...
Old 12-11-2006 | 01:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

so what exactly are you doing inside that car ???????
Old 12-11-2006 | 02:23 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
so what exactly are you doing inside that car ???????
Lol! I thought everyone had their fresh air turned on? In winter, the heat can burn my feet if it's on, so I try to balance it with some cold fresh air. If spring/fall rain, the window will fog up, so again, fresh air. I guess if my AC worked I wouldn't need the fresh air that much. Man, I hate the ventilation controls on these cars...
Old 12-11-2006 | 02:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

didn't someone say 911 heat is hitlers revenge for WW 2 ?

actually I have the same issue. my wife often complains her feet are getting burned so I just shove the slider over a little so some of it comes out of the defroster vents. The heat comes out so weakly I don't want to give any of it away with the fresh air blower....
Old 12-11-2006 | 09:37 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

God I love living in Florida, I feel sorry for you guys that have long winters...I always have both windows completely down and the sunroof is "almost" always open while I am driving.

I never use the ac either and it has a brand new unit....thinking about removing all the ac junk.

Quick Reply: Finally Got to Drive the 911SC Around Today