Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ok, it's not the DME relay...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Wait a second, before you tow the car, there are some things I don't understand. People are talking about DME, about gas, etc., but you say "I can hear the solenoid clicking." This might not have anything to do with the DME or spark plugs or fuel pump.

First question: When you turn the key all the way to the right, does the engine turn over? In other words, is the engine spinning? If no, then check the ground straps on the car and clean them. Many times, this is a big problem. If the engine does turn over, then it's not the battery, starter or solenoid.

Next question: When the engine is spinning, did you pull out a spark plug wire and hold it to a metal (ground) on the car to verify that you have spark? If you don't see spark, then you might have to get a spare spark plug, put the spark plug wire on the plug and ground the plug to the car using vice-grips. You should see spark. If you don't, there is the problem.

Final question: If you know you have spark, did you spray starter fluid in the intake while someone else was turning the engine over? This should almost alway start the car if you have spark. If the car starts on starter fluid, but doesn't continue to run, then your problem is the fuel system.

I don't know if this helps, but that what I would try before towing it. After all, it could just be a loose wire or ground strap...
Old 12-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Jaws911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vintage Bugatti burns

good advice here, but just be a little careful with that starter fluid...

October 31, 2006
Beware to have your extinguisher nearby!
A 1937 T57 bugatti convertible

Always keep a fully charged fire extinguisher handy when you start your car up after a period of rest. This is Bugatti 57287 (or was) ; a two owner car from new, the elderly owner flooded the car as he attempted to start it, the gas pooling onto the carpet under the engine. Trying again, this time with a can of starter fluid, the car back fired, setting the gas on fire. He did have a fire extinguisher, but was unable to get it to work...he was going to pull the Bugatti out of the garage, but his regular car was blocking the door and the keys were in the house...by the time he returned, it was fully engulfed in flames.

http://www.bugattipage.com/#News
(heres the web site with before and after pics -sad)
Old 12-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Spodie!
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Wait a second, before you tow the car, there are some things I don't understand. People are talking about DME, about gas, etc., but you say "I can hear the solenoid clicking." This might not have anything to do with the DME or spark plugs or fuel pump.
Then again, his car is exhibiting the same symptoms that I had when my DME died - it cranked, but wouldn't fire up.

I too switched out the DME relay, but the car is a brick without a functioning DME.
You need to examine the DME. You can waste a lot of time looking at other possibilities if you overlook that one essential component.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Spodie!
Instructor

Sorry, hit the back button one time too many!

Last edited by Spodie!; 12-06-2006 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Double post.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:08 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Spodie

Did you manage to see what the symtom was ? was the DME not providing spark or was it not firing the fuel injectors ? or maybe both ? just curious ...
Old 12-06-2006, 12:18 AM
Spodie!
Instructor

Cracked solders, I'm guessing. That seems to be what usually happens.
I never asked Otto, although he did replace my unit with a rebuilt one from Lorenfb.

I was flying through the Angeles National Forest for about an hour - some of those roads are quite rough.
I was powering up a hill and experienced a sudden loss of power. It just wound down and I was stranded.

I was also at 6000' elevation (I live near the beach). That may of pushed my 19 year old DME over the edge.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:10 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spodie!
Then again, his car is exhibiting the same symptoms that I had when my DME died - it cranked, but wouldn't fire up.

I too switched out the DME relay, but the car is a brick without a functioning DME.
You need to examine the DME. You can waste a lot of time looking at other possibilities if you overlook that one essential component.
But his car will start if you push start it (or it did, anyway). I'm not sure how a DME would part of that equation, but then again, I know little about the DME.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:13 AM
Spodie!
Instructor

Sorry, I missed that part.

If the DME is dead, the car will not start at all.
Please resume your previous discussions.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:17 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

No, it's not your fault - he posted a new thread with more information: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/316049-starting-problems.html

Your insight will probably help, so check out that post
Old 12-06-2006, 01:21 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

mflinkenberg, I remember you!! Weren't you the one who said that "993s are ugly?" Boy, you sure got a lot of action (156 replies) when you posted that one!!
Old 12-06-2006, 07:16 AM
gbailey911
Instructor

Default DME Computer

I had similar problems about a year ago. The car ran fine one moment and the next it cut off and wouldn't restart. I had it flat-bedded to my local Porsche wrench and the first thing he said was it probably was the DME computer. He then did something I thought was strange at the time and smacked the top of the computer with his hand and the car started right up. I had the computer rebuilt for around $500 and all has been well since then. You might try tapping the computer lightly to see if this does any good.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:44 AM
RedShadow
Instructor

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
mflinkenberg, I remember you!! Weren't you the one who said that "993s are ugly?" Boy, you sure got a lot of action (156 replies) when you posted that one!!
Yep – that was me, Mr. Controversy. And I still don’t like the front of a 993.

Quick Reply: Ok, it's not the DME relay...