Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

History of Fuchs...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 03:15 PM
GeneralTso
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default History of Fuchs...

Does anyone know a good source of information about the history of Fuchs wheels?

I tried Googling and Wikipedia and neither turned up much...

Was Fuchs a separate company or were they made by Porsche?

Any info or shove in the right direction would be very appreciated...

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 11-29-2006, 04:24 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

One of the early "Total 911" magazines had an article on the Fuchs wheels.

www.total911.com
Old 11-29-2006, 05:08 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's a start...
http://www.otto-fuchs.com/english/index.html
Old 11-29-2006, 05:46 PM
GeneralTso
Instructor

Originally Posted by ked
Ahh.. That helps a lot! I was looking for Fuchs Forging Company... I guess that used to be their name?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Niklas84
4th Gear

fuchsfelge.de
Old 11-29-2006, 08:52 PM
911S3.6
Pro

There is a great chapter in Tobias Aichele's book :Porsche 911, forever young about the Otto Fuchs Metallwerke, and Heinrich Klie, who was the designer of the fuchs wheel for Porsche.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:45 AM
samoc
Intermediate

Old 11-30-2006, 01:08 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

search for some of the past threads on Pelican -- there is a magazine article noted there that is not posted above (Pano?, Excl?)

also a discussion of a dispute on one point in some of the sources

and... the actual alloy used and its consistency
Old 11-30-2006, 02:54 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

From an old post of mine on Peilcan:

Paraphrased from Porsche 911: Forever Young, by Tobias Aichele:

Otto Fuchs Metallwerke had made forged wheels for armored military vehicles for Porsche during the war. So it made sense for Porsche to contact the same company when they came up with the idea of creating light alloy wheels for their 911 production car in the mid-60's. Fuchs representative Herr Kretsch offered Porsche something beyond their expectations, though: the possibility of mass-producing a high quality <u>forged</u> alloy wheel.

Nothing on this scale had ever been attempted in Germany.

Heinrich Klie of the Porsche model department (the early version of the styling studio) was given the task of styling the wheel. He became the 'father' of the Fuchs wheel. He is also responsible for a number of 911 design details, including the complete dashboard.

Klie and his team were given no precise instructions for the wheel, so he simply went to work with Plasticine modeling clay and came up with a design. Where styling assignments would typically involve weeks of trial and error, changes, and new revisions, this wasn't the case with the Fuchs wheel. The first model was shown to Ferry Porsche, who approved it "with a wave of a hand," according to Klie.

It then went to the suspension design department, where engineer Rudolf Hoffmann was responsible for the wheel's physical properties. Minor modifications were made.

From there, Fuchs chief engineer Karl-Heinz Ochel had to oversee a whole new process for manufacturing the wheel. 58 steps were required to make a single Fuchs wheel.

From Porsche 911: Forever Young, by Tobias Aichele
"To be precise, the Fuchs wheel was formed by the following steps. A pressed piece of stock was forged to make a forging blank. Next, drop forging the blank produced the ventilation holes and deburred the flange. A further drop forging step resulted in a split flange, before the workpiece was widened by rolling. And here is the secret advantage of this complex manufacturing process: the Fuchs wheel stayed in production for so many years because it could be rolled to any width desired. The forming process resulted in a wheel with a completely finished inner side. The outer, visible side of the wheel was turned on special lathes, which resulted in the smallest possible wheel imbalance. A carefully developed surface finish -- polishing, anodizing, and painting -- permitted different design variations over the years and assured high corrosion resistance."

After being tested directly on numerous cars, some very minor changes were made, and the wheels were offered on the 1967 models. There was some internal controversy in the company over the design itself, but the marketing people prevailed in support of the wheel, and history proved them correct. The wheel became a runaway success and remained a design fixture on the 911 for 20 years.

(Image quality is only so-so because I don't have a scanner. I used a digital camera.)
Old 11-30-2006, 12:46 PM
gerry100
Pro

It is interesting that a design done before CAD and even the original "Finite element analysis " methods is still getting used and abused around the world.

Speeds and loadings us3ed today were probably not anticipated in the ealry 60's.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:56 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there's no magic in CAD & FEI - they are simply quantitative techniques that enable more rapid, consistent design & manufacturing. Fuchs alloys may have been designed "old school", but I bet their perf would be confirmed by FEI. Real world data is the final test. Given that they were successfully employed on various RS & Turbo 911s in endurance racing & rallying, I believe that speed & loading factors have not changed that capability, at least for street usage of stock sizes. Of course, modern racing tires & the effect of decades of stress is a distinct matter.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:54 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

true

but.. Bill Verberg just posted on Pelican that the Fuchs don't 'fan' air thru the brake rotor area very well -- that's the only downside AFAIK.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:36 AM
S2TGART
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looking at the picture, one has to wonder how the rim gets so side when it starts out being what appears to be only maybe, 3 inches wide. Are these a 2 piecs wheel? I know they describe the process, but it just doesn't seem possible to get a 16 X 7 wheel out of maybe 3 inch stock.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:41 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

big rollers & hot alloy...
Old 01-04-2007, 11:26 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Wow,

Never knew the complete history but very impressive. They are also NADCAP approved so I am assuming they do work for many US based defense primes. It looks like the wheels in the picture are the 9 or 11 inch wide x 15" which I used to have on my previous 911. I thought some machining was involved like most modern forged wheels but it looks like they do the entire process without machining.

Quick Reply: History of Fuchs...