Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Idling ghost!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:09 AM
youngatheart
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Idling ghost!

After two years storage and savings, finally ditched out a ridiculous thousands of dollars spent on a new clutch and resealed the entire engine, what a great feeling to enjoy the country winding road drive once again with my 1987-911.

Well, here's where the story turns. The car was running quite well for about one and a half month .It was such a great day because I finally got to meet a great rennlister friend in person to share our interest in our cars. Love our talk about our p-cars. However, on the way back home, the car started studdering on the high way. At stand still, the idle would go up and down 900 to 2600 rpm on is own like a ghost! I tried pressing the gas and the car would studder more and eventually shut of the ignition. White smoke would then come out. The car would start again and last for 5 to 10 minutes and same thing would happen. After a few times, I've managed to make it home. I was so afraid to be stranded on the high way. Well, the happiness last for just a little while and it looks like is back in storage again. Anyone who would be able to help in regards to this issue would be greatly appreciated. The fuel filter was changed only 10,000 km ago.

Thanks in advance.
youngatheart
Old 11-06-2006, 01:45 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't changed the fuel in two years, that would be the first place to look.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:17 PM
youngatheart
Intermediate

During the one and half month out of storage, I've been driving so that this probably the 2nd new tank of gas.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:59 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The old gas may have contaminated the fuel system, including the new filter. Try running a couple of bottls of Techron thru the fuel system.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

My 84 Carrera did something similar - it was the speed sensor that was going bad. Replaced for about $80 at an independent shop. Of course, after being in storage for 2 years, you could have all sorts of fuel issues - like gummed up injectors. You may want to try some Techron first. Who knows, it may actually work.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:49 PM
randomhick35
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

youngatheart,
i'am a little skeptical on the fuel system. how suddenly did this come on? my thought being if you had gunked up the fuel system, it would start running poorer and poorer as you drove, not be fine until halfway home and conk. i'am not familiar with the electrical system on newer 911's but thats where i would be looking. white smoke though you say? that has me confused....
Old 11-07-2006, 09:12 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Start with Techron and dry gas. I got a hold of some bad gas in Maine during a PCA tour and my 88' carrera started stumbling randomly. The more you'd accelerate, the worse it got. Then pop and it would go again. Once I realized what it was, I stopped at the next gas station and threw in a couple of bottles of D.G. and techron as soon as could get some. No problems since.

With storage, tank should be full to minimize the amount of air (moisture). Also check your plugs/wires/dist/rotor etc rust never sleeps, and if there was water in your gas/tank even a little bit of corrosion can plug up the works. If all that checks out, I would check the fuel pump relay and then work my way towads the more expensive items. Start cheap and easy it's usually something simple.

Brgds, Peter
Old 11-07-2006, 11:44 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

I am now reading your thread after receiving your PM.
I wouldn't compare your problem with my problem with hunting for idle.
Go with the advice here before anything I said.
But you never know.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:46 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Youngatheart, I have/had many of the same symptoms. Thow some techron in their first. You will probably want to check your fuel filter again, as any crud in the tank may have accumulated over the last two tanks of gas. I also replaced my fuel injectors as they were not sitting too pretty after my car sat for 6 years. That was a little over $300 for all of them but well worth it. I am not much of a mechanic myself, but those were a couple things I did to help my problem. Good luck to you!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:03 AM
youngatheart
Intermediate

Smile idling ghost

You guys are great.
Thanks so much for your advice guys. I will try them out.
Much appreciated.

youngatheart.

Quick Reply: Idling ghost!