Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

heater controls and stuff like that

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Bretech
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater controls and stuff like that

I'm new to P-cars and of course I don't have a manual for my 1974 911. Can someone link me up to an online manual or can someone explain what each **** does, and how to set my heater on heat. Thanks
Old 11-01-2006, 10:06 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a manual and still cant work the heater controls out! It has to be the world's most complicated system. Living in Aus I don't get to use the heater much but on a recent drive south, in a friends SC, it was cold so we needed the heater. I tell you it took the entire 300km trip to figure it out
Old 11-01-2006, 10:16 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

do a search there is a lot on this , there may even be a diagram somewhere.

Good luck ..
Old 11-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Bretech
Instructor

yeah i"ve been reading post after post on the subject and it's just effing weird.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:36 PM
JV911
Drifting

would you use the heater much in So Cal?
Old 11-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Bretech
Instructor

Originally Posted by JV911
would you use the heater much in So Cal?
hell yeah. It may be warm during the day but sometimes the temp drops pretty fast, considering that we are in the desert. Plus since I like to drive with the top off it can get a bit chilly, plus my girl is always cold, and not to mention that the ocean breeze can sometimes be pretty cold.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:06 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

from the FAQ:
Q: I just bought a Pooschey 911 and can't figure out how to make the heater work -- or the fresh air either. Can you help me?

A: Sure, I can help you. The ventilation system requires that you operate 4 levers to make it work. 3 of the levers are on the dash, and the other is between the seats on newer Pooscheys there are 2 levers between the seats).

The top lever on the dash actually does several different things (remember, it is a fiendish German device, just like the rest of the car). Pushing it to the middle opens the dust ports leading to the windshield (see below for operation of fogging machine and oil mist spray device). Pushing it to the right past the middle also activates the rattling noise-maker device. There are three loudness levels to choose from. Pushing the lever all the way to the left is used to jam the cable so unauthorized personnel cannot operate any of the devices above. The lever also enables the automatic heat exchanger signaling device -- when opening it spews rust particles on the windshield, you should replace the heat exchangers. Also, if opening it causes you to immediately turn blue or purple (not just hair, but skin color) and become unconscious, you (or your estate) should definitely replace the heat exchangers.

The second lever from the top controls the lights on the White House Xmas tree. Move it to the middle to turn on the lights, and all the way to the right to fire 4500 Megatons of Nukes at Iran.

The bottom lever on the dash is used to replace the windshield when it becomes scratched or pitted with rock chips. It also determines how much hot air goes to your feet as opposed to your head. For example, let's say the engine is completely warmed up and the hot air is burning your feet. If it's a cold day, you can flip the lever to the other side and shoot hot air onto the windshield so it cracks and shatters. Then call your insurance company (you do have insurance, don't you?)

The lever between the seats controls the oil mist spray device. When the engine is warmed up, this lever allows you to blow oil mist into the passenger cabin. Using the top dash lever lets you select whether you want the oil mist to coat the inside of the windshield or to just circulate around your feet. On a newer Pooschey, you have 2 levers on the floor between the seats. The left hand lever lets you open the left side vents which are aimed so they burn the feet of the person in the right hand seat, and the right hand lever lets you open the right side vents which are aimed so they burn the feet of the person in the left hand seat. Of course, each lever will also burn just the tops of the feet of the person in the other seat. If you are driving in the rain (or even stopped in the rain after the car has broken down), these levers also let you spray a fog of water vapor on the windshield, so no one can see in or out of the car -- sort of like privacy glass.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:07 PM
JV911
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bretech
hell yeah. It may be warm during the day but sometimes the temp drops pretty fast, considering that we are in the desert.
ah i was forgetting about the desert...we have one of them too. in fact it covers about 70% of the country. the temp does drop quick at sunset. I'm in sydney, which is on the coast and doesnt get cold much. the desert is inland past a mountain range.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:00 AM
JV911
Drifting

[QUOTE=randywebb]

The top lever on the dash actually does several different things (remember, it is a fiendish German device, just like the rest of the car). Pushing it to the middle opens the dust ports leading to the windshield (see below for operation of fogging machine and oil mist spray device). Pushing it to the right past the middle also activates the rattling noise-maker device.

QUOTE]

Mate, that is pure gold! And all true of course
Old 11-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bretech
I'm new to P-cars and of course I don't have a manual for my 1974 911. Can someone link me up to an online manual or can someone explain what each **** does, and how to set my heater on heat. Thanks
Randy's post above is classic. Good stuff for humor.

However, the 911 heat system is very easy to use once you know what to do.

For maximum heat, pull up all the way on the red handled lever between the seats. The red slider lever on the dash allows either floor output of the heat or windshield/defrost output of the heat. Pushing the red lever on the dash all the way to the left puts the heat completely on the floor. Pushing this same lever all the way to the right will allow the heat to go completely to the windscreen.

Want less heat? Push down on the red lever between the seats.

Want no heat? Push the red lever between the seats all the way to the floor.

As the 911 aged, more fans were added to the heating system to help even out air flow as the car idled or was in slow traffic where the engine fan didn't push much heat into the car. "Automatic" heating was added as an option on some cars, but it's just a replacement for manually pulling up on the lever(s) between the seats. However, the heating system is pretty much the same from the '70's to '89. (not having a '60's era car, I can't comment on what they used in the '60's, but I'm sure its similar if not exactly the same - other owners could comment on the older cars).

All the black handled levers on the dash are only for fresh air. They do nothing for the heating system. The fan that is controlled by the uppermost black handled lever is ONLY for fresh air and will not help blow any hot air. During winter or cold days, make sure the uppermost black lever(s) are pushed all the way to the left to completely turn off the fresh air fan and to close the fresh air vent (located just below the cowl on 911's).

Hope this helps,

Jay
90 964, 84 3.2
Old 11-02-2006, 05:22 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Yes. Jay's post gives you info.

It sounds like you don't have an owner's manual. It explains the heater controls.

You need an owners manual - it has lots of info in it. Try a used outlet or eBay.

also be sure to get a thorough checkout done on the '74 if you didn't get a PPI - the engines can have issues, altho the '74 is more solid than most of the cars from '75 to '77.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:28 PM
vytenisb
Rennlist Member

Description of operation is hilarious!@
Old 11-02-2006, 06:43 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Thanks! I posted this on the original Rennlist Email list eons ago, but figured it was time for a repost.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:05 AM
Bretech
Instructor

Originally Posted by randywebb
Yes. Jay's post gives you info.

It sounds like you don't have an owner's manual. It explains the heater controls.

You need an owners manual - it has lots of info in it. Try a used outlet or eBay.

also be sure to get a thorough checkout done on the '74 if you didn't get a PPI - the engines can have issues, altho the '74 is more solid than most of the cars from '75 to '77.
Thanks, but the car actually has a 2.2L with 901 tranny , its not as powerful but at least it'll last a bit longer. Still, she's fun.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:36 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

interesting -- most would prefer a 2.2 for its high compression and ability to wind

maybe the car wants to go on a diet? that'll help it.

Quick Reply: heater controls and stuff like that